Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I pulled the trigger not long ago and got myself a new 2020 Outback 2.5 Convenience. I also have a 2006 Outback 3.0 VDC that has 300,000km and doing great. The sound insulation is so good in the 2020 that I didn't notice anything for a while and the other day when I went to a drive through I had to search for my wallet so I put the car in park and I heard a pretty loud bang from under the car. I can replicate it all the time now. Happens only when I put the gear shifter into PARK.

It resembles the sound if you were to park on a hill without an e-brake and then shift out of park while the transmission is under load from the incline. This is happening on flat ground with my foot depressing the brake, or with the ebrake and only shifting INTO park.

Anyone else have this noise? It is a little bit of a buzz kill to have to hear this on a car with 12,000km.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,614 Posts
We have a 20 2.5 and don't hear any sounds like you're describing shifting into Park.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,309 Posts
I've not run in to this yet. It seems it's a mechanical issue and with the low mileage you have, make the dealer look in to it. Since you can replicate it, it shouldn't be hard to demonstrate it to the SM at your dealer. When you find out what it is and the repair, then post it up on this thread so when anyone else may run into the same, they know what it is and what to do with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for response. I didn't think it was normal and will take it in. I have an appointment made on Wednesday so I will keep you guys posted on what it could be.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
when I went to a drive through I had to search for my wallet so I put the car in park and I heard a pretty loud bang from under the car. I can replicate it all the time now. Happens only when I put the gear shifter into PARK.
Only going into P and not in any other situation?

For example, after the gear selector is moved to P and the clunk appears, what happens if the transmission is then changed to R for a few seconds, and then back to P (without ever releasing the brake); does the clunk appear again? Also, when the car is slowed dow to a stop, and with the brake applied, does the clunk if the transmission is moved only from D to N, rather than to P?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just when I shift into P and no other scenario. I made a short video here so you can hear it. It's obviously louder outside the car but I was by myself and had to shift and hold the phone. On the video it sounds more like a click but I assure you it is quite pronounced when your are present. Someone standing around would turn their head.

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
I wonder if it's some sort of delayed movement of the parking pawl, which I believe is mechanically-linked to the shifter linkage. Leads me to another question: Does it happen with the ignition turned to On but the engine not started. That would eliminate most other transmission involvement. Which CVT is that?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,523 Posts
He has a 2.5 convenience so it's the TR580.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if it's some sort of delayed movement of the parking pawl, which I believe is mechanically-linked to the shifter linkage. Leads me to another question: Does it happen with the ignition turned to On but the engine not started. That would eliminate most other transmission involvement. Which CVT is that?
I checked it yesterday and you are correct. It does not happen when the ignition is off and the key is in the start position where you can move the shifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeap... not impressed so far but nothing else to do but to take it to subaru like I have nothing else to do with my time. LOL. The reason I got it in the first place was to not spend time diagnosing and maintaining a car like it has 300,000km on it. Hopefully its something simple.........

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
@robertrafal

I was out with my 07 today, and tried the same thing. Was surprised to find that with the engine running, brake applied, in R, if I move the lever to P, there's a click/clunk coming from underneath!

It doesn't happen coincidentally with the lever reaching the P position of its movement; there's a short period, perhaps 1/2 second, between the lever landing in the P position and the click.

After trying it several times in a parking lot, and then again when back in my garage, I realized that I have heard it before, indeed, almost everytime I parked in the garage, but it just became "normal" to me. That might be the response from the dealer.

Have to figure out what it is . . . .

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,523 Posts
@robertrafal

I was out with my 07 today, and tried the same thing. Was surprised to find that with the engine running, brake applied, in R, if I move the lever to P, there's a click/clunk coming from underneath!

It doesn't happen coincidentally with the lever reaching the P position of its movement; there's a short period, perhaps 1/2 second, between the lever landing in the P position and the click.

After trying it several times in a parking lot, and then again when back in my garage, I realized that I have heard it before, indeed, almost everytime I parked in the garage, but it just became "normal" to me. That might be the response from the dealer.

Have to figure out what it is . . . .
Isn't it the parking pawl?

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Isn't it the parking pawl?
Been working on that; I suspected it in post #7. There appears to be a very slight delay between the shifter being moved to P and the click, and in my 07, the delay is far more apparent. Not sure why. It could be that the notch in the reduction gear that the pawl fits into when in P isn't lined up when the car is stopped. When the gear selector is moved from D, or R, to P, the transmission itself disengages, removing torque from the transmission output. This could allow the reduction gear to rotate just enough for the pawl, which is probably "preloaded" at that point, to snap into the gear. When the engine is off, there is no torque build up in R or when passing through R on the way to P, so the pawl drops in without the snapping click. What I haven't figured out is how the "preload" is established. But it does seem this is the most likely, especially after I heard it coming from my 4EAT.

I do want to add that if this is the source, there should be times when the click does not appear when moving into P because the pawl and reduction gear depressions line up when the car comes to a stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate the additional info and it might be this. So far I've heard it every time I check to see if it still does it throughout the day. It may be that but I find it strange on a new car. I'm sure the engineers at Subaru wouldn't design it to bang like this into park rolling off the factory line lol. It's a lot louder in person compared to the video. My 2006 Outback doesn't do it. I've only heard it on my trucks when the u-joint goes bad. My appointment got pushed to Friday morning so hopefully they investigate it thoroughly. Besides this issue the car is amazing. Drove down to the lake for a photo today ;)

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Looking at how the parking pawl functions, I can see a possibility for the source of the sound.
Product Font Engineering Gas Auto part

The photo pair above is the TR580 CVT. When not in park, the pawl is pulled away from the large reduction gear by the pawl release spring around it's pivot rod at the upper right. At the same time, at the lower left there's a spring on the parking rod; the rod connects to the mechanical shifter linkage coming from the gear select lever. When not in Park (left side photo), the rod is higher (in the photo orientation), and the ring is higher as well (above the piece with the two hex bolts). The lower end of the parking pawl is underneath the ring to some extent.

When the select lever is moved to P (right side photo), the rod is pulled down (in the photo orientation). This compresses the spring on the rod (preload), and this applies downward pressure on the ring. The ring is now lower, and the end of the pawl is pushed out from under the ring, engaging the tab on the pawl into the depression in the reduction gear. (This prevents the reduction gear from turning.)

The lower end of the parking pawl that engages with the ring is sloped. The ring, on its outside edge, might have a matching slope.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Automotive tire Gas Auto part

White Human body Organism Font Line

The spring on the rod, acting on the ring, causes the ring to push down, and that forces it along the mating slope with the parking pawl, pushing the pawl out from under it, toward the reduction gear. The clunk could be when friction is overcome, and both the ring hits a lower stop and the pawl snaps into the reduction gear.

The 4AT, 5AT, and TR690 pawl engagement systems are similar, but in some the ring and pawl mating sloped edges are reversed. When not in park, the ring is down below the pawl (instead of above). When in park, the rod is moved higher, and the rod spring underneath the ring pushes it up, sliding against the pawl and moving the pawl to engage the reduction gear.

As for the clunk, this is just speculation for now. At the least, I gained more insight into how the parking pawl works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! You really did your homework! How did you come by this information? This is excellent and I commend you for you research into this. Good stuff. I really appreciate this now that I have a better understanding of how this system works and it can also help me discuss the issue (should it be this) with the service department.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts