Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,619 Posts
CVT is awful on an underpowered rental. Lots of noise and not much happens when you put your foot to the floor. ...and then there's the JATCO/Nissan CVT debacle that gave CVT such a poor reputation. On earlier Outback 2.5 before they added a bunch of sound deadening, they sounded a bit strained. The 2015 wasn't great climbing 10% grade hills which is why the 3.6 got so much love. By 2019, the car was much quieter and you no longer got the Nissan Sentra rental car feeling climbing a hill. The 2020 is a bit quieter (Subaru claims -3 dB) with a tiny bit more HP so yet another incremental improvement.

On paddle shifters, I use mine in Vermont coming home from skiing every day. I had them on my last VW GTI with the DSG automated manual so I long ago internalized the paddle shifter engine braking thing and I haven't hit the wrong paddle shifter by accident in a decade. For downhill engine braking, the Subaru system works just fine and it's way better than getting distracted fishing for the gearshift control on the center console. I was comfortably holding 30 mph on a snow-covered descent an hour ago. With the amount of mountain driving I do, I'd blow through brakes and rotors every 20,000 miles otherwise.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,005 Posts
I'm getting an average of 25mpg + these days with my 260 hp Limited XT. This is the first time I've ever gotten anywhere near stated MPG estimates on any car at any time. Whatever is in this powertrain is pure genius if you ask me.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
280 Posts
I'm getting an average of 25mpg + these days with my 260 hp Limited XT. This is the first time I've ever gotten anywhere near stated MPG estimates on any car at any time. Whatever is in this powertrain is pure genius if you ask me.
Man, you need to experience the dark side of the force, drive a hybrid, score some -real- 65MPGs, get some massive 700+ miles out of a mere 14 gallon tank... ?

@SilverOnyx here is a FYI on the CVT for the Ascent and the transmission temperature...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
@SilverOnyx here is a FYI on the CVT for the Ascent and the transmission temperature...
Thanks Jus!

I have a bluetooth OBD thing and Torque Pro, which should be able to read the CVT temp - haven't done it yet though. I should take a look going up the mountain just to see. There's also a value called CVT fluid deterioration rate that ActiveOBD (android app) is supposed to read, though I'm not sure if anyone knows what it really means.

My OBD adapter is older and I probably need a new ELM327 compatible one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Man, you need to experience the dark side of the force, drive a hybrid, score some -real- 65MPGs, get some massive 700+ miles out of a mere 14 gallon tank... ?

Yea, not interested. My buddy has a Rav4 hybrid. He likes it allot but mainly for the mileage. I actually considered one when I shopped as the price was a wash. It was too small inside, lacked power and still had that cheezy /rattle trap Toyota build quality. ( I've owned Toyota before and am not impressed ,) Going back to my origonal statement, it was not going to be a good fit for my needs/wants. Sure it would be save a whopping $30/mo in fuel but at the price of not being otherwise happy?? I'm all set.
I'm content with my choice for where I am in life. IF MPG wow'd me or $30/mo was important, I might have opted the 2.5 Outback. I didn't.
If Subaru offers a Hybrid down the line, I would consider one but it would have to offer increased performance /something other than just MPG.
P>S> My buddy called yesterday and said he took the RaV on a roadtrip. He was gripeing that the car struggled a bit in the hills of ME with 3 people and lugage on board. He saved on gas though.....

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
442 Posts
My buddy called yesterday and said he took the RaV on a roadtrip. He was gripeing that the car struggled a bit in the hills of ME with 3 people and lugage on board. He saved on gas though.....
He might want to trade that in for the 2021 RAV4 Prime coming this Summer if he has a place to charge. Estimated 90MPGe and 302hp with a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. :D

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
280 Posts
He might want to trade that in for the 2021 RAV4 Prime coming this Summer if he has a place to charge. Estimated 90MPGe and 302hp with a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds. :D
Did Toyota release the curb weight? Thats gotta be one heavy car with the AWD and the plug-in batteries. Although 5.8 is impressive. Be interesting, this could be the ultimate hybrid...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Did Toyota release the curb weight? Thats gotta be one heavy car with the AWD and the plug-in batteries. Although 5.8 is impressive. Be interesting, this could be the ultimate hybrid...
So if people are overloading about their inability to control the S/S on an Outback, how would these same folks react to a car with an engine that starts , runs and shuts down at will ??:eek:
p.s. Toyota will never make the ultimate anything in my mind ( except maybe their marketing claims.). The king wears no clothes!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I assume the quality of the CVTs presented in the new Subarus are improved. I hate CVT's though. Older cars with "slip and slide power glides" were better. My amusement comes from people who have only driven turbo charged cars with an automatic transmission. They they mistake passing gear for turbo lag.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
109 Posts
Driving 2010 Outback 4 cylinder and just passed 120K miles. CVT with paddle shifters was compromise with wife - I liked my previous manually shifted cars but she wanted automatic.
Found out that I loved the cvt/paddle shifter combo. Spend a lot of time in stop and go city driving - when traffic backups are massive, and Atlanta traffic creeps, I do not get muscle strain in my left leg from clutching. When I drive in the mountains, the paddle shifters give me the control rounding curves and for engone breaking downhill.

My driving style is really, really light footed, but on those occasions when I need to get into another lane from a dead stop at a traffic light, I have never failed to beat the car in the next lane off the line - the 0-40 acceleration is way better than I would have expected.

I really have loved the underpowered 4 cylinder plus CVT combo. Favorite car ever.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts