Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
984 Posts
I thought i had it licked by deleting my old profile, seting a new one , then updating my settings through the Sound, then Audio tab before saving.
I lasted for the better part of two weeks then the car actually forgot both my profile names. Lately, it might hold for a few days or a few starts. It seems a crap shoot. I'm hopeful that the pending wifi software update ( reportedly due out this month) will address this issue. I'm sure I'm not alone.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
740 Posts
Finally solved the issue, at least until the software update fixes it permanently (we hope). After weeks of the equalizer settings disappearing, sometimes reappearing, etc., tonight I discovered that if the settings are not there all you have to do is change which driver profile is active. Even if you change the profile from driver A to driver B or default or whatever, and then back to the profile you really want, the system will load whatever equalizer settings are associated with that profile. Apparently there is a software error in loading the driver profile. If the profile loads too early, then when the radio initializes it doesn't know what settings to use so it just goes to all zeroes. On the other hand, if the radio initializes first and then the driver profile, it loads the radio settings associated with that profile. We have no control over the boot sequence, which is why it's hit and miss as to whether the settings will be there or not.

So if you notice your equalizer settings have dumped, just change the driver profile, then change it back if you want to. Either way, if you manually select a driver profile, the equalizer settings that associate with that profile are loaded. This is a lot faster than manually reentering the equalizer settings everyday which is what I had been doing. Now if the software update ensures the profile is loaded after the radio initializes, then the problem will truly be solved.

Note: I tried just checking the profile page and not making any changes, and that did not restore the equalizer settings. I had to actually select a different profile and select yes on the pop-up screen that asks if you really want to change profiles. When I did this, I had 100% success on the radio equalizer settings associated with that profile being restored. This also means if you have no profiles other than default, then you have no way of changing profiles, which means you have no way of restoring the saved equalizer settings.
The trick that DanielAcosta found, of changing to a different driver profile, and then changing back to your own, also works for me. Just to be clear, this is not related to the facial recognition being done by the Driver Moinitoring System, when you get into the car. It is (apparently) tied to the separate driver profiles that are related to your smartphone.

It's still not entirely clear what is actually happening when the settings are "lost". I suspect it is exactly as DanielAcosta theorized - namely that sometimes the audio system boots up before the correct driver profile has been identified (which is, in turn, related to your smartphone connecting up to the car via Bluetooth, I think).

But when the settings are lost, is it because all-zero hardware default settings are being used? Or is it possible that it is just a different set of saved settings.

A couple of things I've thought of trying are:

1. I currently have two driver profiles in the car - me, and my wife, who might want/need to drive the Outback occasionally, instead of here usual car. I had never tried to set up the equalizer settings for her driver profile. So I think I will do that, initially to some non-zero settings that are different than my own, to see if what comes up sometimes (instead of my own settings) is actually her settings, rather than some default settings.

2. I MIGHT try deleting both driver profiles, so that there is no saved profile, then setting up the equalizer. Then, add both driver profiles back, with their own equalizer settings. (Maybe using three distinct sets of settings.) Then, if the system is confused, I'll see if it still comes up with all zeroes, or just one of the three settings choices (two drivers, plus the "other" driver.....)

Later add: OK, I realized that the "Default" driver profile is there, and is selectable, without having to delete the added driver profiles. So what I did, in the end, was set up three different non-zero equalizer settings, one for me, one for my wife's driver profile, and one for the default driver profile. (Previously, the default profile and my wife's just had all zero equalizer settings.)

If what gets picked upon start-up is one of the three, then I can just make sure that MY preferred settings are set up for all driver profiles, including the defauilt profile (since my wife won't care....). Of course, it might still be the case that all-zeroes comes up, as the hardware's default. In that case, the real fix is hoping that Subaru corrects the bug.... But I am hoping that what comes up when I start the car is going to be either my driver profile's saved settings, OR, the default driver profile's settings.... Actually, I think that's quite likely the case, as the issue is probably that the audio system boots up before my smartphone gets connected via Bluetooth. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,766 Posts
So, let's say the settings are lost one day. If you do nothing, will they come back the next time you drive, or the day after?
That should be the case if Daniel's theory is correct. Great find, btw! (y) These forums are better than the service department at the dealership, for sure.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
740 Posts
It's going to take a few days before I convince myself of the "theory" being right or wrong..... But if the theory is right, then yes, the settings should "reappear" at some subsequent starting of the car, if your smartphone manages to sync up before the audio system boots up.... (Which of the two happens first seems somewhat random....)

I suppose one other way to test this would be to do the following:

If the equalizer comes up zeroed, wait a bit, to make sure that your phone has had time to sync to the car. Then, shut off the car, but put it into accessory mode right away, before the radio turns off. (By pushing the engine start button, but with your foot off the brakes.) Maybe wait a bit, then re-start the car (another push of the engine start button, but with foot ON the brakes). For this re-start, the smartphone would perhaps be already synced to the car, prior to the re-start. If the equalizer settings are now restored, that would tend to support the "theory".

In any case, in a matter of a few days, to maybe a week, we will know! :)

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
336 Posts
I already did the testing you guys are describing. I had different equalizer settings for default, driver 1, and driver 2. Sometimes the car would still load all zeroes. I could then select any of the profiles and those settings would load. So yes, the settings are still saved even when the boot sequence messes up and loads zeroes. And yes, manually select either the default or one of your saved profiles and your saved settings reappear. It’s been several days and I’ve still had 100% success. If you find an exception let us all know. Hopefully Subaru has already realized this and their software update will fix the boot sequence so the all zeroes never comes up again, unless that’s really what you want and saved in your profile.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
336 Posts
Spoke to Subaru customer service today, the rep I spoke to was unaware of any software updates, contrary to the rumors out there about one coming this month. Reported three issues:

1. Equalizer settings (this thread). Fix is to ensure the driver profile loads in the computer boot sequence after the radio initializes.
2. XM Travel Link weather uses Zulu time instead of local time. 19 Outback software had this right, should be an easy fix.
3. Center instrument cluster points to the wrong side of the car for the fuel door. This is a software graphic that was correct on the 19, should be correctable on the 20.

He seemed a little overwhelmed so I left it with those three items. It would be nice to get the turn directions in the center cluster with iPhones in the same way it works with Androids, but that's probably an Apple issue.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
441 Posts
On a side note, the fuel door being on the passenger side is great for getting gas at Costco. The line is shorter for the pumps facing the passenger side and my Uncle loves that when he gets gas at Costco now. The Outback is the first vehicle he has owned with the gas door on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
On a side note, the fuel door being on the passenger side is great for getting gas at Costco. The line is shorter for the pumps facing the passenger side and my Uncle loves that when he gets gas at Costco now. The Outback is the first vehicle he has owned with the gas door on the passenger side.
Also useful to bond with other Subaru owners at Costco, since all Subarus have the gas door at the same side, they tend to be on the same side of pumps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Also useful to bond with other Subaru owners at Costco, since all Subarus have the gas door at the same side, they tend to be on the same side of pumps.
?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Countermeasure campaign
On the other hand, the report said, four other Ascent problems are on pace to be fixed before the launch of the Outback. They include failure of the continuously variable transmission, a problem with the front door-latch cable, seat fan noise and the loss of audio preset.

Subaru leveraged lessons from the Ascent to preempt some problems in the Outback.
It seems like Subaru knew about the loss of audio preset before the Outback went into production along with the ventilated seat fan noise someone posted here a few days ago (Ventilated Seats).

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,766 Posts
The hoses are long enough to reach around the back of the car, so I go to either side, wherever the shorter line is.
But why are we talking about the fuel door in the aidio settings thread? :oops:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
The hoses are long enough to reach around the back of the car, so I go to either side, wherever the shorter line is.
But why are we talking about the fuel door in the aidio settings thread? :oops:
Thread derailing is the first rule of the internet :)

As for hose direction, I got a bunch of scratches on my old car from the gas hose going over to the other side. That's why I don't do it any more. Especially on Subarus which are notorious for thin paints.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
336 Posts
On our 19 Outback the arrow by the fuel range pointed to the correct (right) side of the car, just like the arrow by the fuel gauge, so it was a noticeable difference that the arrow by the range on our 20 points to the wrong (left) side of the car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
On our 19 Outback the arrow by the fuel range pointed to the correct (right) side of the car, just like the arrow by the fuel gauge, so it was a noticeable difference that the arrow by the range on our 20 points to the wrong (left) side of the car.
Yeah I realized that with the first fill up. I didn’t know what side to pull up to and went by the arrow. It was wrong.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a "less-than-or-equal sign '<='", on the range indicator, NOT a fuel-door indicator, but I could see where the confusion could arise.
The actual fuel-gauge-icon thing is VERY standard, I bet it's some sort of international standard, or similar. This has been the case since at least the early 90's, IME.
Edit: This is an interesting factoid, about how it came-to-be: The Inventor of the Little Arrow that Tells You What Side the Fuel Filler Is On Has Finally Been Found

101 - 120 of 200 Posts