Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am getting somewhat used to always check the eq everyday. But I am surprised that Subaru have not done anything about it. That’s been my main complain with my 2020 Onyx

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
258 Posts
We took Daniel Acosta's info to the dealer and they set up my wife's profile, but not mine. The next morning the settings went back to the default settings.
From what I understand that you've advised above, we need to set up a new profile for me with the "default" being my profile settings?
Subaru Corporate contacted our dealer and asked them to have us make an appointment to bring the OB in on Feb. 11, 2020. When we do we'll take this new advice for a revised default/profile and see what they think. Thank you!
You just need two profiles; default can be one of them. Set the equalizer settings you like to each profile. If it loads zeroes, just change the profile, which will then load the last equalizer settings you had associated with that profile. If all you have is the default profile, then there is no way to change profiles, which is why you need at least one additional profile. You don't need the dealer to set a profile, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
258 Posts
I believe they are aware of the problem. It's not just the eq. it's also the balance control.
It's multiple stereo and audio settings on multiple pages within the "settings." For simplicity in this thread we have been calling it equalizer settings, but as you said it's actually much more. The trick of switching profiles loads all the settings that affect sound from all the pages, which is why it's a lot quicker to restore them by changing profiles instead of manually fixing each setting on each page.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Touring XT model built in Jan2020. My equalizer settings have stayed where I put them so far these past two weeks.

BTW, the music sounds great when I play songs from my phone. I'm not a music expert, but I can hear the separations from each channel well. Very impressive so far, like I was listen to my stereo with Bose speakers.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Limited
50 Posts
It's multiple stereo and audio settings on multiple pages within the "settings." For simplicity in this thread we have been calling it equalizer settings, but as you said it's actually much more. The trick of switching profiles loads all the settings that affect sound from all the pages, which is why it's a lot quicker to restore them by changing profiles instead of manually fixing each setting on each page.
Actually, with the HK system that is standard on the higher trim levels, there is only one equalizer screen. There is another screen for the balance/fader settings, but those are usually left at the default settings anyway.

As an aside, my profile now seems to remember my equalizer settings .... when it recognizes me. I have two profiles set up for my wife, and it has never remembered her equalizer settings with either one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello All,
Taking our 2020 OB Ltd to the dealer resulted in no fix for the "customization of radio and speaker equalizing" feature. The sound settings returned to default the following morning. Since Subaru of America is aware and working with us on this problem, it seems like the fix will be a soft-ware update which our service technician said would be in Spring or Summer 2020. Here is the official acknowledgment from Subaru. So, we'll wait and see what the factory develops. Again, as with so many things produced today, like cell phones and vehicles - uninterrupted commerce demands that consumer products MUST BE RELEASED before they are perfected. As long as the vehicle will drive, the "fixes" can wait, and/or customers will just live-with their product and perhaps forget about the problem(s):
"Dear Ms. Perry :
Thank you for your patience. I have connected with Bob Baker Subaru, at this time we are awaiting updates from the technical team (i.e; about the failure of their repair attempt of correcting the "sound equalization, customization"). I will continue to monitor this request and provide updates as soon as they become available. Please allow the follow up be rescheduled for 2/17/2020 before end of day.

In the interim if you need to reach me please feel free to email me back or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx, choose option 2 and enter my direct extension xxxxx.

Sincerely,

D. D.
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department"

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,864 Posts
Very impressive so far, like I was listen to my stereo with Bose speakers.
Im sorry, I have to speak up here. (*inhales)
I am trying to educate, not put you down. Please don't take it personal. Most of you can run circles around me in my general car knowledge, and many other things.
As an audio professional since 1990. Ive been trying to speak to people about Bose speakers SINCE at least the 90s. But their heavy marketing always wins with a lot of people. They were really smart in the old days doing VERY heavy marketing in popular magazines/publications that had nothing to do with audio, marketing themselves as premiere high end audio. It was all many of those people saw regularly as far as speaker brands.
It seemed many in the 90s who were into audio knew Bose was NOT a brand to take seriously, but these days bose is bigger than ever.
The company NEVER publishes its specs for its products. This is pretty much otherwise unheard of in the audio world. Imagine if Subaru just sold a car and refused to tell you the specs of the engine and just said - its a good and fast engine - trust us. Not a great comparison, but still... To me - a speaker company that has vowed to never tell you what is actually "under the hood", is only trying to hide the truth, which is that for what you are getting, you are paying WAY too much. Most people dont compare one speaker against another with the same familiar audio material, though that is exactly how you should buy speakers. Often where Bose is sold, there are no other options to compare to.

You gotta wonder about a company who has touted its products as HIGH END and NEVER gives you any details in an industry when EVERY OTHER BRAND does so. Audio reproduction is physics/math - and a lot of specs regarding those physics tell you a lot. I can tell you the 30 years I have been in the professional audio world, I have never come across a person around me who would buy them. Have their products improved over years? - sure, but they are WAY overpriced for the quality they are as they have done well making people THINK they are really great. Does this mean Bose is total garbage? - no. Its more about what they are claiming to be, and what you are paying for, vs reality.

They are a smart company who has used heavy aggressive marketing and litigation as huge tools to their success. They are sort of the Scientology of the speaker world. ;)

Why do I get passionate about this in particular? because I am someone who just REALLY dislikes misinformation and dishonest tactics and Bose has seemed to be a really strong offender in such things. I esp hate it when it intentionally preys on the naive.
I dont expect all you people to know speakers, or have a trained ear, but that doesnt mean you should be so blatantly lied to as consumers and I feel like they have been doing it for decades.

I liked what this guy said too.

I also find it bothersome that it is now nearly impossible to get the specs from the audio systems in cars these days. Factory systems are notoriously poor quality components, and I am guessing this is why.
I have been very bothered by some aspects of the 2020 HK system - as I have said on this forum already. SO much definition is gone compared to my 2013 Limited system. I blame the center speaker and DSP surround processing and I think the speaker drivers really could use an improvement as well.

But what REALLY bothers me in the 2020 is the complete lack of adjustment options for the EQ. My 2013 had 5 bands to adjust. this system should have been UPGRADED from that after 7 years, not downgraded to pathetic "high/mid/low" adjustments.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,
Taking our 2020 OB Ltd to the dealer resulted in no fix for the "customization of radio and speaker equalizing" feature. The sound settings returned to default the following morning. Since Subaru of America is aware and working with us on this problem, it seems like the fix will be a soft-ware update which our service technician said would be in Spring or Summer 2020. Here is the official acknowledgment from Subaru. So, we'll wait and see what the factory develops. Again, as with so many things produced today, like cell phones and vehicles - uninterrupted commerce demands that consumer products MUST BE RELEASED before they are perfected. As long as the vehicle will drive, the "fixes" can wait, and/or customers will just live-with their product and perhaps forget about the problem(s):
"Dear Ms. Perry :
Thank you for your patience. I have connected with Bob Baker Subaru, at this time we are awaiting updates from the technical team (i.e; about the failure of their repair attempt of correcting the "sound equalization, customization"). I will continue to monitor this request and provide updates as soon as they become available. Please allow the follow up be rescheduled for 2/17/2020 before end of day.

In the interim if you need to reach me please feel free to email me back or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx, choose option 2 and enter my direct extension xxxxx.

Sincerely,

D. D.
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department"
thanks for the update, I am loving the car except for this issue that is really annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im sorry, I have to speak up here. (*inhales)
I am trying to educate, not put you down. Please don't take it personal. Most of you can run circles around me in my general car knowledge, and many other things.
As an audio professional since 1990. Ive been trying to speak to people about Bose speakers SINCE at least the 90s. But their heavy marketing always wins with a lot of people. They were really smart in the old days doing VERY heavy marketing in popular magazines/publications that had nothing to do with audio, marketing themselves as premiere high end audio. It was all many of those people saw regularly as far as speaker brands.
It seemed many in the 90s who were into audio knew Bose was NOT a brand to take seriously, but these days bose is bigger than ever.
The company NEVER publishes its specs for its products. This is pretty much otherwise unheard of in the audio world. Imagine if Subaru just sold a car and refused to tell you the specs of the engine and just said - its a good and fast engine - trust us. Not a great comparison, but still... To me - a speaker company that has vowed to never tell you what is actually "under the hood", is only trying to hide the truth, which is that for what you are getting, you are paying WAY too much. Most people dont compare one speaker against another with the same familiar audio material, though that is exactly how you should buy speakers. Often where Bose is sold, there are no other options to compare to.

You gotta wonder about a company who has touted its products as HIGH END and NEVER gives you any details in an industry when EVERY OTHER BRAND does so. Audio reproduction is physics/math - and a lot of specs regarding those physics tell you a lot. I can tell you the 30 years I have been in the professional audio world, I have never come across a person around me who would buy them. Have their products improved over years? - sure, but they are WAY overpriced for the quality they are as they have done well making people THINK they are really great. Does this mean Bose is total garbage? - no. Its more about what they are claiming to be, and what you are paying for, vs reality.

They are a smart company who has used heavy aggressive marketing and litigation as huge tools to their success. They are sort of the Scientology of the speaker world. ;)

Why do I get passionate about this in particular? because I am someone who just REALLY dislikes misinformation and dishonest tactics and Bose has seemed to be a really strong offender in such things. I esp hate it when it intentionally preys on the naive.
I dont expect all you people to know speakers, or have a trained ear, but that doesnt mean you should be so blatantly lied to as consumers and I feel like they have been doing it for decades.

I liked what this guy said too.

I also find it bothersome that it is now nearly impossible to get the specs from the audio systems in cars these days. Factory systems are notoriously poor quality components, and I am guessing this is why.
I have been very bothered by some aspects of the 2020 HK system - as I have said on this forum already. SO much definition is gone compared to my 2013 Limited system. I blame the center speaker and DSP surround processing and I think the speaker drivers really could use an improvement as well.

But what REALLY bothers me in the 2020 is the complete lack of adjustment options for the EQ. My 2013 had 5 bands to adjust. this system should have been UPGRADED from that after 7 years, not downgraded to pathetic "high/mid/low" adjustments.
:rolleyes:
I hear you about Bose, I am an audio enthusiast and I know all their tactics, but in my case the issue with the adjustments is on my non Hk system, I have the Onix and the stereo sound horrible in my opinion, I basically have to turn the treble all the way down in order to listen it. Also the bass sound disconnected from the rest of the audio frequency and I also turn it down a little in order to make it listenable for my taste. And that's why it is annoying to keep freaking adjusting my setting almost every day. Also even the Apple Car Play sometime does not want to work. Those little things are annoying for me, which distracts from an awesome car in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I hear you about Bose, I am an audio enthusiast and I know all their tactics, but in my case the issue with the adjustments is on my non Hk system, I have the Onix and the stereo sound horrible in my opinion, I basically have to turn the treble all the way down in order to listen it. Also the bass sound disconnected from the rest of the audio frequency and I also turn it down a little in order to make it listenable for my taste. And that's why it is annoying to keep freaking adjusting my setting almost every day. Also even the Apple Car Play sometime does not want to work. Those little things are annoying for me, which distracts from an awesome car in my opinion.
I fully agree. I have been very disappointed in apple car play - now that I have it - after hearing everyone rave about it. The music app is barely function-able. I just mounted the phone within reach and I am using that for my music play. Also, you do know that you can set some eq settings in the apple iphone right?
Its not really any easier, but they would at least stay set. I think there are only presets - but there are a handful of them for different eq profiles. Not much of a solution but an option to consider.
But yeah - if you are adjusting the EQ that much - it needs to stick. I hear you.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
720 Posts
While I applaud your finding and reporting of the the work around (which seems to work 100% of the time) , I'm just not seeing any improved speed /simpicity to it, myself. Unless I'm missing something It still takes 6 or so taps (depending on where I'm starting from)i.e Select the profile icon, select a different profile , Select Yes to the change confirmation, reselect the first profile, select Yes to the change confirmation, and then close the window by selecting the home screen, and then finaly select the audio screen of choice . Is there an eaiser/faster way that I'm not seeing? I guess I could just set up two identical profiles to cut out a couple of steps..?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,716 Posts
While I applaud your finding and reporting of the the work around (which seems to work 100% of the time) , I'm just not seeing any improved speed /simpicity to it, myself. Unless I'm missing something It still takes 6 or so taps (depending on where I'm starting from)i.e Select the profile icon, select a different profile , Select Yes to the change confirmation, reselect the first profile, select Yes to the change confirmation, and then close the window by selecting the home screen, and then finaly select the audio screen of choice . Is there an eaiser/faster way that I'm not seeing? I guess I could just set up two identical profiles to cut out a couple of steps..?
Not sure about profiles since my Onyx doesn't have it but you can get to the equalizer by long pressing the tune knob.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
393 Posts
Bose...

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

I think most are cheap paper cones?

I agree the "upgraded" tweeters in the Onyx in the dash are harsh. On a test drive I had to turn down things quite a bit on the eq to stop my ears from bleeding. When I get mine with the RF upgrade, I plan to run some pink noise through it and use a sound analyzer app on the phone to adjust a flat response. From there we'll see if I want to tweak it or not. I'll post what EQ settings for RF and a flat response are once I have them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Bose...

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

I think most are cheap paper cones?

I agree the "upgraded" tweeters in the Onyx in the dash are harsh. On a test drive I had to turn down things quite a bit on the eq to stop my ears from bleeding. When I get mine with the RF upgrade, I plan to run some pink noise through it and use a sound analyzer app on the phone to adjust a flat response. From there we'll see if I want to tweak it or not. I'll post what EQ settings for RF and a flat response are once I have them.
The car generates pink noise briefly from each speaker - at least the HK system does - through that super secret tech menu - somewhere there was a video link on how to access it. I cant remember if you could hold it to each speaker though. I dont remember if there was any control over it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
87 Posts
I have a Touring XT model built in Jan2020. My equalizer settings have stayed where I put them so far these past two weeks.
I had both a December 2019 and a January 2020 Touring XT (long story) and the December production lost its equalizer settings repeatedly as well as driver profiles. The audio settings stuck after seven or eight recreations of new driver profiles (perhaps a cousin behavior to the 20 seat belt clicks in 30 seconds to kill the seatbelt reminder)? I set up two profiles for myself, one with no glasses and the other with sunglasses because the car didn't seem to recognize the sunglass me anyway. Both of those disappeared three or four times each and after re-creating each of those times, the audio memory issue disappeared.

The January 2020 production Touring XT which is the vehicle I have now has never lost its equalizer settings and only dumped one driver profile (my wife's, and she only has driven the car once) so maybe there is something different in the January-forward produced OBs. 🤔

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
465 Posts
I had both a December 2019 and a January 2020 Touring XT (long story) and the December production lost its equalizer settings repeatedly as well as driver profiles. The audio settings stuck after seven or eight recreations of new driver profiles (perhaps a cousin behavior to the 20 seat belt clicks in 30 seconds to kill the seatbelt reminder)? I set up two profiles for myself, one with no glasses and the other with sunglasses because the car didn't seem to recognize the sunglass me anyway. Both of those disappeared three or four times each and after re-creating each of those times, the audio memory issue disappeared.

The January 2020 production Touring XT which is the vehicle I have now has never lost its equalizer settings and only dumped one driver profile (my wife's, and she only has driven the car once) so maybe there is something different in the January-forward produced OBs. 🤔
But you say the new 2020 has only been driven once. I'd say not a long enough time to say the problem has been fixed. Mine would stay for 3 days or so, then dump. I doubt Subaru has changed anything. Just look at all the bugs and complaints they've had since introducing this new infotainment system across their model line up back in 2017-18 with the Cross trek.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,618 Posts
I would never buy (and never have) anything Bose either. I have friends who did.
Way overpriced for what it is. End of story for me.

Quick question: will a Premium have different profiles also, or do profiles require the facial recognition (which I really don't want).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
465 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I said was that my wife has driven it only once. I have been driving it every day for more than a month.
Okay. Well maybe something was changed with a newer build date. Hope it continues to keep the settings for you.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts