Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody additional news about the 2020 Outback in Europe?

Thanks.
In Subaru CZ told me following: at the beginning of 2020 Subaru Outback will be the same as 2019 model, just "model year 2020". New generation 6 (now already available in USA) should come later on (not exact date yet) but only with hybrid engine because of euro emission policy (the same as new Forester, in CZ new generation only available as hybrid, nothing else) . So seems no pure 2.5, neither 2.4T just hybrid .... I suppose this will be the same across all EU
So I have ordered "old" generation 5 ... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks a lot, TPCZ. That's what I figured. The 2.4 turbo it's an impossible engine in Europe, because of the emission policy and the price of the fuel in Europe. Although I would like the most. What I don't know it's if it will have the same levels of equipment than in USA whit 6 Gen. Have you been told anything about it in CZ?

Best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I asked Subaru's customer service at Spain a few weeks ago about the same thing and they told me new generation will arrive to Europe in late 2020. Information will be avialable at dealers next fall season.

"Le comunicamos que el modelo Outback que se comercializa actualmente en USA, llegará a Europa a finales de año.
Por favor, a partir del próximo Otoño podrá informarse en nuestros concesionarios oficiales de las distintas motorizaciones que equipará."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I asked Subaru's customer service at Spain a few weeks ago about the same thing and they told me new generation will arrive to Europe in late 2020. Information will be avialable at dealers next fall season.

"Le comunicamos que el modelo Outback que se comercializa actualmente en USA, llegará a Europa a finales de año.
Por favor, a partir del próximo Otoño podrá informarse en nuestros concesionarios oficiales de las distintas motorizaciones que equipará."
I have just bought my Outback in february. I thought that models and engines that they sell in America will never arrive to Europe. So, let's see what models they import.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Here in Germany (bayern) they told me due to the Covid soonest next year will something happen. What was also interesting that the dealer told me there will be not much differencies... what is interesting as there are many differencies between 2019 EU models and 2020 US models. I really do not understand how they cannot sell the 2.4 Turbo engine here if so many BMW M3 and M5 running on the german highways...

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,666 Posts
I really do not understand how they cannot sell the 2.4 Turbo engine here if so many BMW M3 and M5 running on the german highways...
Germany is doubling their gas guzzler tax next year, and it might be that Subaru wants only to offer models that fall below 195 grams per kilometer of CO2. Maybe an image thing? Article here:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi All,

Here in Germany (bayern) they told me due to the Covid soonest next year will something happen. What was also interesting that the dealer told me there will be not much differencies... what is interesting as there are many differencies between 2019 EU models and 2020 US models. I really do not understand how they cannot sell the 2.4 Turbo engine here if so many BMW M3 and M5 running on the german highways...
I have been looking at some sales figures and found that total Subaru registrations in Germany are about 122,000 out of a total of almost 48 million, or 0.3%. 2020: Germany - Total Number of Registered Cars By Brand - Car Sales Statistics

I found elsewhere that Subaru sales in Germany (which I must assume is the largest EU car market) were 7-8 K in 2018 and 5-6 K in 2019.

This is very eye-opening for a USA reader. I looked up that in the USA, in 2019, Outback and Forester both sold about 180K each, with total brand sales in the US around 700 K. This shows how dependent Subaru is on the US market. Their total production is about 1 million, so they sell 70% of this in the USA. And about 40% of that (Outback, Legacy, and Ascent) is manufactured in Indiana. 2019 (Full Year) USA: Subaru Car Sales - Car Sales Statistics

I'm wondering if you can tell us about the Subaru demographic in Germany? I will guess that the WRX/Levorg have a fan base among performance drivers, and that the Forester might be liked by hunters, fishers, and hikers who want an inexpensive AWD. But where do Outback and Legacy, and the other models, fit in?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts