Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've owned our 2020 Outback Limited for about a month and have developed a dislike for the automatic "stop/start" feature that came with the vehicle. Created as a means to save on fuel, we feel like Subaru's "new addition" to the 2020 Outback Limited was a mistake, and the only recourse we have is to perform a 3-step process (i.e; press ^, then +, then #) to turn the "stop/start" feature OFF every time we drive the vehicle. (it feels like we've paid for a premium (Limited edition) SUV, but actually bought a Subaru design-flaw in the process).
Is there an integral computer software update that can utilize a single dash touch-switch or even a toggle lever-switch below the driver's dash-surround ?

Of note: Having the motor stop at an "inconvenient instant" could cause a problem (i.e; You're stopped at a traffic light and the motor stops at exactly the same time as the light turns green; you falter and press the brake pedal instead of the gas pedal and the motor starts automatically, but your foot is still back on the brake pedal, and the momentary "lurch" of your Outback signals to the driver who's riding your bumper behind you, into you, and a collision), imo
Is there any hope for a "one-step" fix for our "three-step" problem?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,837 Posts
No

All the manufacturers are utilizing start/stop. The system takes some getting used to or you have to turn it off with every engine start.

All it takes is a quick release of the brake pedal for the computer to start the engine, so a quick off/on the pedal starts it up and it won't shut off right away again.

To my knowledge there have not been any accidents related to start/stop. If a driver behind you is being inattentive and impatient then you'll get hit regardless of your "lurching".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cardoc and Unibody62 and the free enterprise system. If there's a way to make a go-around buck, some one will invent an "S/S eliminator" for the 2020 Subaru Outback..... and soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual-steps needed to turn off Auto-Stop:
• Tap the picture of the Car; tap Others; the Auto/Stop/Start icon appears and you turn it to "Off".
The Auto-Stop-Start will revert to default when you park the Outback, so we don't turn it off, (unless we're driving around someone else in the car, or god-forbid a group of women going out for lunch, and have everyone "lurching" when the motor stops at a stop sign or traffic light - only to avoid embarrassment or someone in the back seat razzing the driver.)
Like someone said, many of the new 2020's vehicles all ship with Auto/Start/Stop - whether ya's like it or not.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thanks Cardoc and Unibody62 and the free enterprise system. If there's a way to make a go-around buck, some one will invent an "S/S eliminator" for the 2020 Subaru Outback..... and soon.
I don't understand all this need to reinvent the wheel since it is a wheel already invented by Subaru.

There are Subaru's around the world that already have an override button in place. Seems to me it would not be very hard to analyze those vehicles wiring diagram and replicate it's function on the OB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to know which Suboo's have this "override" button and a photo of that "button" so I can zero-in on what to copy. Does anyone have a link to that? Thnx!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Midway down the forester post? Couldn't find it. Might be better if you copied and pasted the text here, so all could read it. I like to be led, more than hunting. Thanx!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buttons? No can see. I think the link Forester is not the link I'm suppose to be looking at. Learning disabilities.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Buttons? No can see. I think the link Forester is not the link I'm suppose to be looking at. Learning disabilities.
Not sure why you cannot see it.....below is from the link....

Ride quality didn’t get much of a test on our Asheville, NC, drive route, though the Forester seemed to handle bumps quite well. By contrast, the winding mountain roads provided a fine test of handling, and the Forester impresses in this regard.

2019 Subaru Forester

But if there’s a chink in the Forester’s armor, it’s the powertrain.

New for 2019 is an engine stop/start system. Although you can deactivate it with the push of a left-side dash button, when left on, it takes a moment to start the engine after lifting your foot off the brake, and it’s not entirely transparent in operation (though the same can be said for most such systems). And oddly, the Forester’s EPA city rating didn’t improve over last year (though both highway and combined did), which seems to defeat its purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
" Although you can deactivate it with the push of a left-side dash button,"
Is that the SRH button, second from left? There isn't one on the 2020 OB. Designed-out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
H-m-m-m, well that's nice. We've got nuthin' for 2020 except the lurch, or a false positive if our foot is on the brake pedal, we let-off, the motor starts, lurches and then we jam on the brake again. Boy Howdy.... The Subaru service manager told us, "Yep, the more features on a car, the more problems pop-up." Mechanical advancements!! So, be sure and buy the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty. Thanks for the pics explaining. :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Premiere
1 Posts
I don't mind having it as a feature but I would love it if you could set the toggle on/off setting as part of the driver settings (like memorizing my seat settings). It does get annoying in stop-n-go traffic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts