Subaru Outback Forums banner

2020 Outback Limited-and phone calls

10K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Blue Bell 
#1 ·
I just got a beautiful new 2020 Outback Limited. I like everything about it- almost. It is very difficult- almost impossible to hear someone talking through my paired iPhone. I have checked to be sure the volume on the phone is all the way up, and I've turned the volume knob for the radio all the way up. I can hear okay at a stop, but on the freeway I cannot carry on a conversation. I have looked at the volume/sound settings, and the radio and the car's voice can be loud enough to blow my ears out, but I cannot hear a phone call. I am very disappointed in this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are others having the same issue?
Thank you!

#6 ·
I took delivery of an Onyx XT today that I ordered in December and am having the same problem. I have the receive call volume all the way up and can barely hear my calls. Can’t if I’m on rough pavement. I thought I was just missing something because it’s my first day with it and I don’t have it all figured out yet. I hope there is a fix for it soon!

#8 ·
I just got a beautiful new 2020 Outback Limited. I like everything about it- almost. It is very difficult- almost impossible to hear someone talking through my paired iPhone. I have checked to be sure the volume on the phone is all the way up, and I've turned the volume knob for the radio all the way up. I can hear okay at a stop, but on the freeway I cannot carry on a conversation. I have looked at the volume/sound settings, and the radio and the car's voice can be loud enough to blow my ears out, but I cannot hear a phone call. I am very disappointed in this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are others having the same issue?
Thank you!
Do not rely on Bluetooth; instead, plug your iPhone into Apple CarPlay by attaching the charging cord to your phone and the appropriate input located in the center glovebox in my Impreza but possibly in a different location in an Outback. You will hear so well you will probably have to turn down the volume.

#14 ·
I’ve had this problem since I purchased a used 2020 outback touring XT. All functions of the head unit for audio work perfectly except the call volume on Bluetooth phone (which is way too low). I took it to the dealership & they agreed this wasn’t normal and through working with the engineers at Subaru they replaced my head unit, then the amplifier, and finally the cockpit module. None of these made any difference. I tried pairing my phone with a 2021 touring XT at another dealership and it has the same problem. The tech thought maybe the issue was related to the Harman Kardon system but it’s not. I also paired my phone with a premium Outback without the upgraded sound system and it has the same issue with the phone. Anything with the 11 inch display will have this issue. Interestingly enough, the 2020 & 2021 ascent works as it should because it has the older head unit. It’s definitely in the software of the head unit and the only fixe is for Subaru to identify it and come up with a software upgrade. I’ve also plugged my phone directly into the head unit with a USB cable and used car play and have the same issue with the volume. I’ve repeated this issue with an android phone and an iPad.

#17 ·
I have had this problem since they did the recall upgrade. Service told me my phone was too old (Samsung 9S) to work with the technology of the new update. I got a S21 and have the same problem. The phone does not register ringing through the blue tooth. Sometimes I can hear the caller, sometimes not. The whole screen has gone black and rebooted while I was driving or the radio will keep playing even though the screen looks like it is calling someone, or the radio will not come on when you start the car. I have to shut off the car wait a minute or two and restart to reboot the system. I am so frustrated with this. I have had the car to service 2 times already since the update and now have called again. Waiting for the service man to call back.

#18 ·
Thank you!
Check your microphone sounds setting. It should be at zero. If you go too far positive it will pick up lots of road noise.

#19 ·
Thank you!
I have a 2020 Outback and have this exact issue. Not only that, but when the call disconnects if I don't get the volume control quickly, the car switches back to the local radio stations (instead of whatever I was listening to prior to the call) and the volume blows me out of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.