Alex on Autos

Redline reviews

Edmunds

Driving sports TV

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
262 Posts
What transmission does it have on the 2.4T? The TR690 or a totally new CVT?

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
314 Posts
Not a word about the wonderful new "stop/start" system, or what you have to do to turn it off (or was it on a video?). I wish these reviews were about the model most people buy, which I don't think is Touring at $40,000...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added Jalopnik review to the main post:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,387 Posts
I hear it’s just under 7 seconds for 0-60. Awesome.

Touring XT here I come.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
177 Posts
Read the reviews from all the major automotive authorities. All are overall positive on the new OB. Especially on room, utility, and ride and handling. But many have mixed reviews on (i) the large infotainment screen (pretty to look at but a bit of a pain to use day to day); and (ii) real world driving performance from the 2.4T. With them saying it is flat and non-turbo like performing in day to day driving and really don't notice the power unless you really lay into it. A classic turbo trait. My note: If you consistently lay into a turbo motor to get the power you would have gotten from a normally aspirated (NA) engine, your real world MPG will take a brutal hit. If you drive a turbo like it doesn't have one, and only occasionally let it kick in, you get the good MPG advertised. But then why get a turbo? They're designed and tuned to pass government CAFE tests. Not real world use. But a pressurized mill is excellent in the mountains because it is immune from power robbing thin air, unlike a NA engine. So you mountain driving folks will love it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not a word about the wonderful new "stop/start" system, or what you have to do to turn it off (or was it on a video?). I wish these reviews were about the model most people buy, which I don't think is Touring at $40,000...
The tedious steps needed to inactivate Stop/Start will probably appear in an upcoming full length road test. For what it's worth a Subie salesperson told me their system is NOT very seamless. It is a noticeable "stumble". God I hope not as bad as some GM's I've rented. A friend has a new Kia Soul and it's system tolerably annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
314 Posts
The tedious steps needed to inactivate Stop/Start will probably appear in an upcoming full length road test. For what it's worth a Subie salesperson told me their system is NOT very seamless. It is a noticeable "stumble". God I hope not as bad as some GM's I've rented. A friend has a new Kia Soul and it's system tolerably annoying.
The reason they need to cover this is because all stop/start systems are NOT the same. I have driven 3...a Mercedes SUV (each start was a bit "rough", but at least you could press a button to turn it off), a Chevy Equinox and a Chevy Cruise ( hard to notice, but no way to turn them off). My son rented a Jeep Compass. He hated the fact that it turned the AC off. He said the s/s could not be turned off). It sounds like the 2020 Outback does not have a simple "off" button. You need to input stuff into the HU to turn it off. No one's s/s can be turned off other than for that trip only. I heard that Buick is re-thinking it's "no off" situation due to customer push-back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The reason they need to cover this is because all stop/start systems are NOT the same. I have driven 3...a Mercedes SUV (each start was a bit "rough", but at least you could press a button to turn it off), a Chevy Equinox and a Chevy Cruise ( hard to notice, but no way to turn them off). My son rented a Jeep Compass. He hated the fact that it turned the AC off. He said the s/s could not be turned off). It sounds like the 2020 Outback does not have a simple "off" button. You need to input stuff into the HU to turn it off. No one's s/s can be turned off other than for that trip only. I heard that Buick is re-thinking it's "no off" situation due to customer push-back.
I wonder (hope really) if an underground community will find ways to disable this really obnoxious feature in vehicles that is no practical value. Yank a fuse, disconnect the supplemental batter cable, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
352 Posts
I had a Volvo XC 60 with start-stop. My first. It was noticeable at first, but then I got used to it. You actually adjust without much thought. This adjustment is basically automatic as you optimize the release of your foot from the brakes and engage the gas pedal. It just becomes the way you do it. All muscle memory, no thought. I assume this system and your right foot will become one. Whether it's 48 hours or 72 hours or two weeks it will just happen. Your right leg WILL be assimilated! Haha! Stop thinking, just drive and enjoy your new ride! Glass half full! :) Safe travels!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
251 Posts
Read the reviews from all the major automotive authorities. All are overall positive on the new OB. Especially on room, utility, and ride and handling. But many have mixed reviews on (i) the large infotainment screen (pretty to look at but a bit of a pain to use day to day); and (ii) real world driving performance from the 2.4T. With them saying it is flat and non-turbo like performing in day to day driving and really don't notice the power unless you really lay into it. A classic turbo trait. My note: If you consistently lay into a turbo motor to get the power you would have gotten from a normally aspirated (NA) engine, your real world MPG will take a brutal hit. If you drive a turbo like it doesn't have one, and only occasionally let it kick in, you get the good MPG advertised. But then why get a turbo? They're designed and tuned to pass government CAFE tests. Not real world use. But a pressurized mill is excellent in the mountains because it is immune from power robbing thin air, unlike a NA engine. So you mountain driving folks will love it!

I'd view the flat non-turbo like performance of the turbo for day to day driving as a positive. Give me good economy, but have the power on hand to lay into when needed. My wife's subaru forester XT is kinda like that in eco mode.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As per Car and Driver: 6.6 seconds for 0-60 in the 2.4DIT.

The H6 was tested at 6.9 seconds by them, so disappointingly little improvement on that front

Standing 1/4 mile also improved from 15.4 seconds to 15.

I was hoping for something in the low 6s (especially considering the legacy supposedly tested at 6.1), but don't think the new engine is anything worth considering switching for now for H6 owners

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
147 Posts

The H6 was tested at 6.9 seconds by them, so disappointingly little improvement on that front

I was hoping for something in the low 6s (especially considering the legacy supposedly tested at 6.1), but don't think the new engine is anything worth considering switching for now for H6 owners

C&D’s 0-60 time is an estimate.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,387 Posts
Alex on Autos said they did 0-60 in under 6!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
352 Posts

The new engine and transmission are not intended to improve the quickness over the H6, they ARE intended to provide the same quickness/power as the H6 while providing better fuel economy/MPG.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts