Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Okay, just finished watching the review and the screen criticism is the one thing I don't agree with. I only notice the lag when starting the car up for the first time for 30 seconds in the morning and then it's perfectly fine through the day.

Also helps not banging on the buttons rapidly while it already is in the process of booting up.

All in all typical Savagegeese rant on the screens in cars but that's his personal choice. I thought the screen may be distracting (even though I like large screens) but after a lot of time in the car, it just stays out of your field of view, especially at night.

Agree with the car in general though. The same S/S discussions we were having here also hold true to him and the quality of the car and interiors is leagues ahead of any thing Subaru put out before. It's hard to believe the same company made my old car and the 2020 OB.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
135 Posts
The Kia Telluride is getting a lot of good reviews, and if I recall correctly, was named as Motor Trend's 2020 SUV of the year. It's a 3-row SUV, but is priced pretty reasonably, compared to other 3-row SUVs.

It's a 3.8 liter V-6, with a 5-speed auto. A fair amount bigger and heavier than an OB. The two-row Sorrento is more of a direct competitor, I suppose...
After owning a KIA Sportage SX, I'll never own another KIA automobile. Reason? Incompetent dealer service operations. Engine oil not changed, steering wheel replaced and installed 15 degrees off-center. Twice. AC hoses reinstalled without O-rings after engine replacement, so refrigerant leaked out after multiple re-charges. The vehicle itself wasn't too bad, it was dealing with idiots at virtually every dealer within reasonable driving range. The engine self-destructed while on the freeway, and subsequent to that experience it was recalled 2 more times for "possible engine issues." There are numerous class action and other lawsuits against KIA for engine problems, and diminished value. No thanks...

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
Okay, just finished watching the review and the screen criticism is the one thing I don't agree with. I only notice the lag when starting the car up for the first time for 30 seconds in the morning and then it's perfectly fine through the day.

Also helps not banging on the buttons rapidly while it already is in the process of booting up.

All in all typical Savagegeese rant on the screens in cars but that's his personal choice. I thought the screen may be distracting (even though I like large screens) but after a lot of time in the car, it just stays out of your field of view, especially at night.

Agree with the car in general though. The same S/S discussions we were having here also hold true to him and the quality of the car and interiors is leagues ahead of any thing Subaru put out before. It's hard to believe the same company made my old car and the 2020 OB.
He actually criticized more than the HU. The unrefined engine/ trans was spot on in the 2.4. I would still lean towards the 2.5 if I did not need some extra towing capacity or I lived up in the mountains. I think Subaru will install a dash on/off button for S/S like the Forester ASAP along with some other refinements

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
He actually criticized more than the HU. The unrefined engine/ trans was spot on in the 2.4. I would still lean towards the 2.5 if I did not need some extra towing capacity or I lived up in the mountains. I think Subaru will install a dash on/off button for S/S like the Forester ASAP along with some other refinements
I did not comment on the tranny and engine comments because that is subjective. I personally don't find the CVT as bad as he points out to be. May be my expectations are different than his but it's perfectly fine. Also need to remember he is a 'car guy' and like many car guys, he dislikes CVT in principle. But according to the intended purpose of the OB, I think it is perfectly fine. On top of that, the Subaru CVT is up there with Honda's in terms of transmissions unlike a lot of other CVTs.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
833 Posts
I did not comment on the tranny and engine comments because that is subjective. I personally don't find the CVT as bad as he points out to be. May be my expectations are different than his but it's perfectly fine. Also need to remember he is a 'car guy' and like many car guys, he dislikes CVT in principle. But according to the intended purpose of the OB, I think it is perfectly fine. On top of that, the Subaru CVT is up there with Honda's in terms of transmissions unlike a lot of other CVTs.
Great points. I had a Ascent and felt the same way and thought Subaru would make some changes for Outback with the 2.4/HDCVT combo. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
411 Posts
So far, I haven't seem any media outlets pick a 2020 OB for long term a long term review. I'm hoping that someone will do so.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
999 Posts

I agree with everything said here.
If he wasn't punching at the screen like a drunk on a nickle slot machine, it might react better. Mine certainly does although (like most things computer), it does take 20-30 seconds to boot up on a cold start.
I also find it funny on how he absolutely rants about the S/S, CVT and Infotainment yet says he loves the OB

I would also point out that he says the Turbo is the way to go but not to get the big screen infotainment system. If your going to review a vehicle, you should take the time to learn the basics of what is available with what before doing so.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
280 Posts
I agree, been a CVT driver since 2013 with my CMax and the one in my Onyx is a way, way improvement over that but that's 7+ years worth of improvements in the technology. I had zero issues with the CMax CVT and it was so seemless, none of the gear shift. Same for the Onyx, I feel. People search for perfection. People want manual shift and I had a manual when I was young, no thanks especially in the start/stop Los Angeles lunatic asylum traffic. I actually enjoy toying and understanding the Subaru CVT.

Also, in regards to the infortainment system, I am not seeing any lag in mine. It's behaving as expected for me. No morning issues but I don't play with the infotainment in ACC mode only. I turn my car on to warm the engine and then I play with the heat/cool settings as the car warms up. Is his review car pre-production?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
38 Posts
I agree with the comments about the CVT and I'm a "car guy." I own and autocross a manual Miata and have owned various other cars and trucks with manual transmissions. My Onyx is the second vehicle I've owned with a CVT, the previous being my '17 Outback. I too enjoy playing with it and find it perfectly fine in most daily situations. If I'm feeling chill and there's not much traffic, a light throttle application will motorboat the engine at a happy mid-range speed while ground speed slowly builds up. If I need to merge with fast moving traffic a heavier right foot results in changing engine speeds as the CVT ratios change. Not as smooth as my Lexus torque converter auto and not as crisp between ratio changes as other auto boxes but it does a fine job for what it is. And yes, I've driven the old Subaru Justy and can say that that was a terrible CVT.

People like to poopoo on CVTs because they think it's cool.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT.
409 Posts
This is one of the more negative driving experiences I've seen from reviewers. His complaints are ones that we've heard here and there, but it seems he experienced all of them:

1. Rough start/stop that turns on after 10 seconds for no apparent reason.
2. Screen froze completely.
3. CVT/Turbo unpredictable and off-putting.
4. Lane keep fighting with you.
5. Things constantly beeping and flashing at you during normal driving.
6. Turbo is laggy.
7. Disappointing fuel economy.

He does say there really isn't much competition for this specific type of vehicle unless you are willing to spend quite a bit more over the XT Touring model, and that the comfort/ride is very good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is one of the more negative driving experiences I've seen from reviewers. His complaints are ones that we've heard here and there, but it seems he experienced all of them:

1. Rough start/stop that turns on after 10 seconds for no apparent reason.
2. Screen froze completely.
3. CVT/Turbo unpredictable and off-putting.
4. Lane keep fighting with you.
5. Things constantly beeping and flashing at you during normal driving.
6. Turbo is laggy.
7. Disappointing fuel economy.

He does say there really isn't much competition for this specific type of vehicle unless you are willing to spend quite a bit more over the XT Touring model, and that the comfort/ride is very good.

Never heard of him till last night. Within 30 seconds, I didn't like the YT and watched Sarah-N-Tuned instead.

Also, I prefer the other youtube reviews from Driving Sport TV (Ryan) who actually does own a legacy Subaru and knows his Subby pretty **** well including their AWD system (see his YT on that one). He was pretty positive about the 2020 Outback and I think he's pretty credible. Same for Alex on Autos and Redline Reviews.

At the end of the day, the 2020 Outback is not a perfect car, there is no such car if you are perfectionist. But it does check all the marks for me including the CVT which is one of the better CVTs out there (I've driven my hybrid for 7 years with a CVT).

Also, take any reviews with a salt. Here's an example - every reviewer including Ryan hates the paddle shifters for a CVT. It's CVT, no real gears. I get that.

But in the real world, you know what I am glad Subaru gave me a shifter on a CVT because, just last weekend as I was driving down the Sherwin grade on the 395 (about a 9 mile 3% grade) I was able to downshift on a long steep grade and hold my speed without hitting the brakes, unlike the 99.99% of other car drivers heading down the same grade.

Oh, CHP loves this stretch of road, ticket gold mine. Yes, the paddle shifters work and know I understand why they are there even for a CVT as stupid as that sounds. It works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a word about the wonderful new "stop/start" system, or what you have to do to turn it off (or was it on a video?). I wish these reviews were about the model most people buy, which I don't think is Touring at $40,000...
I have a 2020 Limited OB and am very pleased with it. I am used to the start/stop feature and it does not bother me. I can modulate the brake pedal and sometimes trick it to not cut off. It can be turned off via the menu screen for the car but it defaults back to start stop every time. It can not be defeated without potentially voiding a portion of the warranty although the Subaru technician did tell me there was a way for them (unauthorized) to defeat it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
38 Posts
Never heard of him till last night. Within 30 seconds, I didn't like the YT and watched Sarah-N-Tuned instead.

Also, I prefer the other youtube reviews from Driving Sport TV (Ryan) who actually does own a legacy Subaru and knows his Subby pretty **** well including their AWD system (see his YT on that one). He was pretty positive about the 2020 Outback and I think he's pretty credible. Same for Alex on Autos and Redline Reviews.

At the end of the day, the 2020 Outback is not a perfect car, there is no such car if you are perfectionist. But it does check all the marks for me including the CVT which is one of the better CVTs out there (I've driven my hybrid for 7 years with a CVT).

Also, take any reviews with a salt. Here's an example - every reviewer including Ryan hates the paddle shifters for a CVT. It's CVT, no real gears. I get that.

But in the real world, you know what I am glad Subaru gave me a shifter on a CVT because, just last weekend as I was driving down the Sherwin grade on the 395 (about a 9 mile 3% grade) I was able to downshift on a long steep grade and hold my speed without hitting the brakes, unlike the 99.99% of other car drivers heading down the same grade.

Oh, CHP loves this stretch of road, ticket gold mine. Yes, the paddle shifters work and know I understand why they are there even for a CVT as stupid as that sounds. It works.
People continue to rag on CVTs with paddle shifters. Whether it's gears or conical pulleys pulling on either paddle results in a change in ratio of input speed to output speed. Don't get me wrong, I don't think CVTs are the best thing since sliced bread but the Outback's CVT is not difficult to live with. For what it's worth,
my daily driver is a Miata with a 6 speed manual.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
517 Posts
Every time a reviewer digs the 2.4 as turbo lag and being unresponsive / hesitation of acceleration, I wonder if they drove the 2.5. That was the worst acceleration I've ever experienced as more throttle didn't seem to increase acceleration (seemed constant).

I dismiss that comment out of hand.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
999 Posts
Every time a reviewer digs the 2.4 as turbo lag and being unresponsive / hesitation of acceleration, I wonder if they drove the 2.5. That was the worst acceleration I've ever experienced as more throttle didn't seem to increase acceleration (seemed constant).

I dismiss that comment out of hand.
Better yet are the ones who DIS the turbo and CVT but are smileing when they get on it . You really have to wonder where these folks get their credentials. I wouldn't lend some of these self proclamed reviewers my 6 year old lawnmower to test .
That said, Sarah-N-Tuned can drive anything I own :love:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Better yet are the ones who DIS the turbo and CVT but are smileing when they get on it . You really have to wonder where these folks get their credentials. I wouldn't lend some of these self proclamed reviewers my 6 year old lawnmower to test .
That said, Sarah-N-Tuned can drive anything I own :love:
Another fan!!! Awesome!

As my wifey said, I may window shop as I am not dead. Yeah, those penguins are just HOT :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
280 Posts

What he did with the 2020 outback review is MILD, like a cold. Savage really DISSED the 2020 Ford Explorer, thats his version of the Coronavirus there. I personally like the Explorer ST but Ouch!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
What he did with the 2020 outback review is MILD, like a cold. Savage really DISSED the 2020 Ford Explorer, thats his version of the Coronavirus there. I personally like the Explorer ST but Ouch!
This is my opinion but, considering the 60k price tag of the Explorer, his criticisms were completely warranted, especially the tablet design and the seat material quality. He liked the drivetrain and suspension setup on the Explorer, though.

141 - 160 of 172 Posts