Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru claims that their synthetic oil is better than others out there. True?? I'm assuming that they just want me to go the dealer for oil changes.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Subaru claims that their synthetic oil is better than others out there. True?? I'm assuming that they just want me to go the dealer for oil changes.
If you're doing it yourself there's no need to us Subaru oil - just make sure it meets specs, and better yet, SN-Plus and Dexos 1 gen 2, full-synthetic 0w20.

On the other hand, I wouldn't trust Jiffy Lube or places where you don't know exactly what oil they're using. In another thread people were sharing horror stories about dealer-performed oil changes, but jiffy lube and others like it are worse.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,871 Posts
Royal Purple. Good stuff. Been using it in the VDC and the engine doesn't use oil. I out it in a 2007 Impreza N/A 2.5 and the head gasket leak quit, started up on the other side after 2800 miles, and now, 4500 miles in, quit leaking again. I think there's something to that oil. I've got a thread on it here somewhere. ? Been meaning to update it.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,425 Posts
Nothing special, however I would suggest letting the dealer do the first few oil changes for maintenance records during your warranty period.

While yes, it's likely to be more expensive than DIY and no, they cannot deny your warranty (thanks, Magnuson-Moss), but it's a lot easier when the service manager has to deal with SOA than you having to prove you actually changed the oil.

Conversely, most Nissans DO use a special oil. An ester-based oil, it contains friction modifiers to protect the DLC (diamond-like coating) on the pistons and valvetrain parts. If not used, the DLC can deteriorate and cause excessive oil consumption. Neat!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
686 Posts
use oil that meets specs, while under warranty, I would strongly recommend that you use the Subaru dealer for service... if a major problem happens or a repair comes up, you are far more likely to get assistance from SOA... as they have access to all service records done by Subaru dealers.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,037 Posts
Does anyone know what the factory oil fill is in the XTs? Dinosaur or synthetic?
I am guessing it is synthetic, since that is what is recommended for changes.

And your question reminded me of something. I watched a good documentary on oil, origins and human use, about a year ago. One thing I learned was that it wasn't dinosaurs (though maybe you know this and just use the term in fun). I found it interesting, being a dinosaur "enthusiast" of a sort that I never knew this detail.
The Doc was on CuriosityStream.com called "Crude"

but here's an article discussing this issue if you find it of interest.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It's Idemitsu 0W-20 synthetic. The part number for a 5-quart jug is 30010092-95300C020.

View attachment 477729
Are you sure that's the exact formulation for the Subaru oil? I've read several posts stating that the Subaru branded Idemitsu meets SN-Plus and Dexos 1 Gen 2, but the above oil doesn't have either.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
236 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 5MT PSM /2020 Outback Onyx XT AGM
145 Posts
Yes, there’s a Zepro with higher moly as well as a dexos1 Gen 2 version. The factory fill version is a slightly different with different additive levels unless Idemitsu reformulated it (which I doubt).

I’m guessing that the Subaru dealer version was only recently reformulated. A virgin oil analysis posted on bitog of the 5W-30 a few months ago showed higher calcium levels than most SN+/dexos1 Gen 2 oils. Most oils now have very low calcium due to it contributing to LSPI.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
236 Posts
I’m new to the whole DIT thing. So low calcium is better to prevent it? Also, is there any difference between the two idemitsu oils in terms of calcium?

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
70 Posts
I am a fan of amsoil

Anyone running amsoil in there XT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always used Amsoil XL in my 2017 Outback now for my 2020 Turbo Outback I just ordered two cases of the signature series 0-20 oil. This is a long life oil but I'll still do the changes every 5,000 miles cheap insurance with the DI engine.$10.00 a QT is a little high but we are talking pennies in the long run

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT Pearl White
70 Posts
I have always used Amsoil XL in my 2017 Outback now for my 2020 Turbo Outback I just ordered two cases of the signature series 0-20 oil. This is a long life oil but I'll still do the changes every 5,000 miles cheap insurance with the DI engine.$10.00 a QT is a little high but we are talking pennies in the long run

good to hear, I plan to do the same
they do have a discount if you join the preferred customer program

what filter you using?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 5MT PSM /2020 Outback Onyx XT AGM
145 Posts
I’m new to the whole DIT thing. So low calcium is better to prevent it? Also, is there any difference between the two idemitsu oils in terms of calcium?
If you’re not familiar with Low Speed Pre-Ignition, just do a search on it. Calcium is bad for it which is why most oils have been reformulated (led by Mobil 1 about 5 years ago). Higher ZDDP actually helps mitigate LSPI, but the problem with that is phosphorus is bad for cats.

The short answer is to run API SN+/dexos Gen 2 oil.

And for some more reading:

A direct relationship was observed between calcium concentration and the average number of LSPI events, confirming calcium as an LSPI promoter.

Not sure about the “regular” Idemitsu, but you can see the difference in calcium levels in Zepro voa’s. This is why oil discussions these days need to be specific. Most companies offer anywhere from 2-5 different oils within the same grade, but formulated differently.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts