Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
He's not the type to get stuff like that done. He has asperger's syndrome. Really smart in some ways, but hopeless in others. He refuses to wash his car. The last time he took a trip I washed and waxed his car, vacuumed the interior, and he said it didn't need washing. When it rains, he is reluctant to use windshield wipers, and when he does, he doesn't use the water to get rid of the smear.

It took him about 15 years to get his driver's license. He's almost 40 and he got his license about 2 years ago. He makes very good money working for the Federal government.
I was really trying to be humorous based on the money comment. But this very much reminds me of my first job in the 80s when I worked with someone super-smart but also on the spectrum. He, amongst other idiosyncrasies, never checked the oil and water in his car....you can guess what happened.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I was originally going to suggest he get a crosstrek but then I thought about it and realized it would not be a good match and I'd be the one pulling teeth to get him to maintain it, or I would be doing all of his maintenance against his wishes. He also has photo-voltaic cells on his roof so his charging is essentially free.

So on the bright side, I saved a Subaru from being subjected to a life of neglect and misery!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,767 Posts
Costco has 6 qts of Mobil 1 0W20, item 1460 (?) on sale for $10 off until Apr 5th for $29 = $4.83 qt.
Is that an oil people use and recommend here? I have only seem the M1 EP being recommend.
Also, how we need 5qt, right? What do you do with the extra?

·
Registered
208 Posts
This statement is so sad
From a retail POV, couldn’t agree more, thought we would never even get a Target here, but did finally about 10 years ago. Forget the thought of Costco, probably not in my lifetime, due to Sams.
Upside, Crystal Bridges Art Museum would never have happened here if not for the Walton clan. Thankfully the art scene has brought good food too! So like most things in life, we take the good with the bad. And nope I don’t work for them or the vendor/suppliers, just live in an area heavily influenced by their brand, money, etc.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,651 Posts
I just merged three oil change threads together, many people love talking about this subject to include myself so let us consolidate it all here.

Is that an oil people use and recommend here? I have only seem the M1 EP being recommend.
Also, how we need 5qt, right? What do you do with the extra?
Mobil 0w20 is perfectly adequate no matter which of the variations you pick, in my opinion Mobil 1 EP is the best of the what they have to offer but all are serviceable for Subaru's 6000 mile oil change interval.

That being said I found Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 on sale for $3.25 per quart recently at Walmart.com as part of a multipack. I do think that to be a superior product at a far better price, but some don't want to do business with the Great Walmart of China. To each his own :)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,767 Posts
Thanks Kevin!
I ran across another question, now owning two Outbacks: my 2016's oil capacity is 5.1qt, while the 2020 lists 4.4.
That seems like quite a difference, what changed? Looks like the 2.5L engine really was overhauled.
Will that much less oil call for more frequent changes, even though Subaru says no to that question if you believe their service schedule?

·
4,651 Posts
Does the high-mileage oil concern you for a new engine? Doesn't It have an additive that softens and/or expands seals?
I am glad you asked as I just had this same conversation with a Valvoline rep the other day. From what they shared with me their Maxlife formula is designed to carry more cleaning agents as compared to the normal Advanced Synthetic oil as well as condition seals but not swell them.

No apprehension on my part using Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife from day one, in fact some people have shared with me that they prefer using a high mileage oil even on a low mileage engine just because that oil tends to be thicker.

Thanks Kevin!
I ran across another question, now owning two Outbacks: my 2016's oil capacity is 5.1qt, while the 2020 lists 4.4.
That seems like quite a difference, what changed? Looks like the 2.5L engine really was overhauled.
Will that much less oil call for more frequent changes, even though Subaru says no to that question if you believe their service schedule?
Another thing I have looked into. Here's the deal, both Gen 5 and Gen 6 Subaru 2.5L engines use a 4.8 litre sump. That translates to 5.07 quarts. I have always just dumped 5 quarts of oil into my 2018 Outback Limited 2.5L when I have changed the oil and had no issues being short the 0.1 quart that Subaru recommends.

I know a 2019 Forester owner who put 5 quarts of oil into the new 2.5L engine and the dipstick was right at full when he checked it the next morning after sitting overnight.

From what I have read Subaru intends on using 4.4 quarts of oil in the new 2.5L engine so that it can operate at max environmental friendliness without jeopardizing the engine components. The concern I have is in knowing that these engines have a known history of consuming small amounts of oil during a normal interval and that the amount of oil consumption tends to increase little by little over time.

My 2018 Limited Outback started consuming a half quart of oil every 6000 miles after the 60,000 mile mark. Just recently it consumed an entire quart of oil during a 6000 mile interval above 90,000 miles. My opinion is if you are starting an oil change interval a half quart short, like Subaru is recommending for the 2020 Outback 2.5L, it is only a matter of time before you are going to have to start adding oil between changes.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,205 Posts
It's funny how the proponents almost religiously defend the fumoto drain valve. Come on guys, it's just a little tool that helps making the oil drain quicker.
Fumoto is practically a minor diety to the main Subaru religion. Amen!
You guys are playing with fire here, you know. :)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,767 Posts
I am glad you asked as I just had this same conversation with a Valvoline rep the other day. From what they shared with me their Maxlife formula is designed to carry more cleaning agents as compared to the normal Advanced Synthetic oil as well as condition seals but not swell them.

No apprehension on my part using Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife from day one, in fact some people have shared with me that they prefer using a high mileage oil even on a low mileage engine just because that oil tends to be thicker.

Another thing I have looked into. Here's the deal, both Gen 5 and Gen 6 Subaru 2.5L engines use a 4.8 litre sump. That translates to 5.07 quarts. I have always just dumped 5 quarts of oil into my 2018 Outback Limited 2.5L when I have changed the oil and had no issues being short the 0.1 quart that Subaru recommends.

I know a 2019 Forester owner who put 5 quarts of oil into the new 2.5L engine and the dipstick was right at full when he checked it the next morning after sitting overnight.

From what I have read Subaru intends on using 4.4 quarts of oil in the new 2.5L engine so that it can operate at max environmental friendliness without jeopardizing the engine components. The concern I have is in knowing that these engines have a known history of consuming small amounts of oil during a normal interval and that the amount of oil consumption tends to increase little by little over time.

My 2018 Limited Outback started consuming a half quart of oil every 6000 miles after the 60,000 mile mark. Just recently it consumed an entire quart of oil during a 6000 mile interval above 90,000 miles. My opinion is if you are starting an oil change interval a half quart short, like Subaru is recommending for the 2020 Outback 2.5L, it is only a matter of time before you are going to have to start adding oil between changes.
I have always used 5qt on my 2016. It was always like right at the full mark. (top notch on the stick)
Kinda convenient! (y)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Another vote against Jiffy Lube. They replaced my 91 Acura Integra's engine at 46k miles because of their incompetence. While in the long run that was a good deal for me never again. I take the car to the dealer.
I've been taking my Accords for service at the dealerships since 1991. I'll be doing the same for my 2020 Outback. Don't care about learning how to change oil or other mechanical servicing. If the dealership messes up, they will pay for the fix.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
113 Posts
Hobbs meter is a genericized trademark for devices used in aviation to measure the time that an aircraft is in use. We can install simple hour meter for engine then we will know exactly how many hours the engine ran. I know it is not a perfect solution. Engine can run 2 hours in traffic or on freeway and it is a big difference but better than guessing from mileage.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Even on "short trips" an aircraft engine probably runs hot enough long enough, right? The problem with automobiles is that short trips are devastating to the oil, and the moisture in the oil isn't simply water - it can form acids. Then we add GDI fuel dilution as yet another factor for a double whammy.

The vast amounts of water that come out of a tailpipe aren't from humidity - it's from the fact that hydrocarbons + oxygen (combustion) = H2O + CO2. The amount of water produced by combustion is greater than the amount of gasoline combusted. While the majority of water goes out the exhaust, blow-by gasses that enter the crankcase have a ton of water vapor - which is why unheated catch cans can accumulate water.

The problem of moisture in oil is so real that it's usually recommended to change your oil prior to winter storage - even though it's not accumulating miles, the used oil can continue to damage the engine if there's moisture in it.

So changing the oil every 6 months irrespective of hours of runtime is still a sensible thing to do, unless the car wasn't run at all.

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
51 Posts

My owners manual says 4.4 QUARTS for the 2.5 and 4.8 QUARTS for the xt motor.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,767 Posts
I've been taking my Accords for service at the dealerships since 1991. I'll be doing the same for my 2020 Outback. Don't care about learning how to change oil or other mechanical servicing. If the dealership messes up, they will pay for the fix.
Yeah. As long as you are under warranty. Oil change mess up related issues tend to present themselves later .... Just saying.

·
4,651 Posts
My owners manual says 4.4 QUARTS for the 2.5 and 4.8 QUARTS for the xt motor.
Yes I know, that does not mean that either engine has a 4.4 or 4.8 quart sump. Both engines use a 5 quart oil sump.

The thing that I have come to understand is that Subaru has prioritized making their vehicles as CAFE emmission friendly as they can as well as being as fuel efficient as possible under that aforementioned premise. In order to achieve this they are now using 0w20 oil in their primary engines (excluding high performance applications like WRX and STi) and have modified the recommended oil fill capacity to that end. I do believe that is why they so thoroughly address the likelihood of oil consumption in the owners manual, they are walking a fine line in keeping up with environmentalist regulations and creating an expectation in the minds of the vehicle owners that "hey your engine might consume some oil, we know that and we've redundantly addressed it right here (in the owners manual) for your consideration."

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
226 Posts
It's not better and it's not worse. It's just their branded oil. There's no unicorn dust in it.

Wal-Mart is your friend.
Oh great. You just ruined my belief. I thought there was unicorn dust in their oil. What are you going to tell me next? Santa's not real?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,767 Posts
That being said I found Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 on sale for $3.25 per quart recently at Walmart.com as part of a multipack. I do think that to be a superior product at a far better price, but some don't want to do business with the Great Walmart of China. To each his own :)

Thanks!
I ordered 15qt, that will cover my the next 3 oil changes for my MY16.
With the new MY20, I will stick to the Subaru OEM oil for now (while under warranty), I still have a parts and service coupon, so it's kinda free. :)

·
4,651 Posts
I wanted to do a general information post on some of the terms, etc used for anyone that is interested.

NOACK in large part determines the propensity of oil to vaporize and oftentimes be consumed. Lower NOACK number = lower likelihood of oil consumption.

VII = Viscosity Index Improver. A higher VII value improves fuel economy as well as increasing the likelihood of carbon deposits and other buildup in engine. Industry has been moving more and more towards oils with lower VII due to carbon build issues that have become prominent with the increased usage of direct injection engines.

Total Base Number (TBN) - Number value assigned to oil formulation to determine its resistance to breaking down from acid buildup and other variable factors that degrade the oil and can cause damage to essential components such as engine seals.

201 - 220 of 250 Posts