Subaru Outback Forums banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
98 Posts
It’s made by Warren Distribution so it’s decent oil and is literally the same as Costco’s Kirkland, Wal Mart’s SuperTech and dozens of others. They even all share the same dexos license number.
Even though it's made by the same supplier, should we assume the oils are all exactly the same? I would suspect that a contract producer may modify the additive package based on the requirements of the company privately labeling the oil. I understand this goes on with gasoline production. The same refinery may be producing gasoline for many different brands, but each brand can specify what additives, ex. detergents, they wanted added.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Even though it's made by the same supplier, should we assume the oils are all exactly the same? I would suspect that a contract producer may modify the additive package based on the requirements of the company privately labeling the oil. I understand this goes on with gasoline production. The same refinery may be producing gasoline for many different brands, but each brand can specify what additives, ex. detergents, they wanted added.
Walmart, Costco, Amazon are not petroleum or automotive centered businesses. They're simply retailers. While it is possible that any of those generic oil retailers would specify a particular formulation, I think they're just specifying what viscosity ranges they want to sell, whether it's full synthetic, blend, or conventional, and what certifications they want the oil to have. For them to get into the nitty gritty of particular additives makes no sense as they don't have any expertise in that area. "High mileage" or some other marketing differentiation would suggest a different formulation.

If it were Subaru branded Warren Distribution oil, then it might be a special formulation - like whether Subaru's idemitsu oil is slightly different than regular idemitsu.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
147 Posts
Walmart, Costco, Amazon are not petroleum or automotive centered businesses. They're simply retailers. While it is possible that any of those generic oil retailers would specify a particular formulation, I think they're just specifying what viscosity ranges they want to sell, whether it's full synthetic, blend, or conventional, and what certifications they want the oil to have. For them to get into the nitty gritty of particular additives makes no sense as they don't have any expertise in that area. "High mileage" or some other marketing differentiation would suggest a different formulation.

If it were Subaru branded Warren Distribution oil, then it might be a special formulation - like whether Subaru's idemitsu oil is slightly different than regular idemitsu.
Just to add....

And there’s no way that it could be sold for cheap if it were formulated differently for different retailers. Each one of those formulations would need to be tested and certified independently by ILSAC, API, and dexos.

Here’s the dexos license list where you can see the license number is the same among the different Warren brands (across the same viscosity):

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question on doing an oil change I'm thinking about buying ramps for doing oil changes, I just wanted to know if the car goes up on the ramps will the oil drain out complete being at that angle

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Question on doing an oil change I'm thinking about buying ramps for doing oil changes, I just wanted to know if the car goes up on the ramps will the oil drain out complete being at that angle
It might leave one ounce of extra oil in the pan but it's negligible. I use ramps myself as do many others. If you had an issue like coolant contamination then you'd have to drop the entire pan to clean it out, ramps or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don’t know about completely but I’m sure you don’t have to worry about the little bit that would be left over. That’s how I have always done oil changes

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,651 Posts
I use Rhino Ramps and have not had any issues with oil drainage. The bottom of the oil pan where the drain bolt is is designed almost like the bottom of a funnel so it does drain just about everything with enough time.

·
Registered
2020 subaru outback limited xt
1 Posts
Will I viod my extended warranty if I do my own oil change after my first 2 years of dealership included oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,472 Posts
Will I viod my extended warranty if I do my own oil change after my first 2 years of dealership included oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, no and no. No.

Just keep your receipts for the oil and filters and write down in a notepad the day you changed the oil and the mileage. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't get bogged down over the voiding the warranty issue. Remember, you are doing the exact same service the dealer would be doing if you took it there. You can even post your changes to your My Subaru account which is exactly where the dealer posts them too for you to see, but save the receipts. If you do the online, remember that they control the site and like all sites, stuff can disappear or crash.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts