Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you folks have any idea how the Starlink AT&T WiFi hotspot works with the Outback? I know you can activate it from the Starlink app and that it's $15/month for what appears to be essentially unlimited data (up to 22gb when it throttles). It's a pretty good deal if you do a lot of road trips or might use it a lot, but we really only need it for road trips a couple times a month for our kids' iPads.

Is there a sim somewhere in the car that you can replace? I'd love to use our family Google Fi plan, which lets you add data-only sims for free and it shares the pool of family data. But I'm guessing there's some proprietary nature to all this that will lock you into AT&T.

Any insight here?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've looked and haven't found anything definitive but pretty sure there is no SIM. Or at least not one that you can get to easily.

The AT&T deal isn't bad. I wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile in my case though.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked and haven't found anything definitive but pretty sure there is no SIM. Or at least not one that you can get to easily.

The AT&T deal isn't bad. I wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile in my case though.
That's what I was afraid of. I just signed up for the free month to see if we like it. Will probably end up cancelling after the trial though.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
334 Posts
s there a sim somewhere in the car that you can replace?
No. The service is only available on ATT, either as a stand-alone subscription or as a less expensive add-on device to an existing ATT plan. The same radio is used by StarLink for other services and they use the ATT infrastructure for that.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. The service is only available on ATT, either as a stand-alone subscription or as a less expensive add-on device to an existing ATT plan. The same radio is used by StarLink for other services and they use the ATT infrastructure for that.
Thanks for the details, I figured that was the case. They're running a special now - if you sign up before Oct 31st, you get the same price as AT&T customers even with a new/separate subscription ($15/mo for unlimited data). I signed up for the free first month and will probably keep it over the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year since we do a ton of driving around then, and then cancel.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
Thanks for the details, I figured that was the case. They're running a special now - if you sign up before Oct 31st, you get the same price as AT&T customers even with a new/separate subscription ($15/mo for unlimited data). I signed up for the free first month and will probably keep it over the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year since we do a ton of driving around then, and then cancel.
For how long will you get that price?

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For how long will you get that price?
Good question - they are (probably intentionally) ambiguous about that. It implies that it's indefinite, but the fine print reserves the right to adjust the price. It's a month to month thing, so I'll cancel if they jack the price up.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
Good question - they are (probably intentionally) ambiguous about that. It implies that it's indefinite, but the fine print reserves the right to adjust the price. It's a month to month thing, so I'll cancel if they jack the price up.
Sounds like a plan.
At $15 per month, I would also give it a shot and see how I like it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
334 Posts
My impression has been that the "normal" stand-alone subscription was $20 a month and that current ATT account holders could add it for $10 a month. So if that is accurate, the $15 amount splits the difference.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My impression has been that the "normal" stand-alone subscription was $20 a month and that current ATT account holders could add it for $10 a month. So if that is accurate, the $15 amount splits the difference.
The way they're advertising it is that current account holders get it at $15/mo and it's $25 otherwise. Now the special is for anybody to get it for $15/mo

·
Registered
334 Posts
In the Ascent forum, it's mentioned that current ATT account holders can add the "line" for $10, but who knows what reality is. I've never looked into it because I moved on from ATT over a year ago to cut cost and wouldn't ever use the WiFI hotspot feature on my Ascent anyway.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know what the range is? I assume short, just inside the car. I would like longer range than that.
It works outside the car and is advertised as such actually. I can get a usable/reliable signal from about 10 ft or so outside the car. After that the signal quality drops rapidly. I could imagine e.g. car camping and using that to tether from your tent or something (though if you're camping, don't go on the internet!)

·
Registered
334 Posts
The wireless radio for providing WiFi to passengers if you subscribe to the service isn't likely targeted to the longer distances you can get with a home access point...and it's also installed inside of a metal box.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wireless radio for providing WiFi to passengers if you subscribe to the service isn't likely targeted to the longer distances you can get with a home access point...and it's also installed inside of a metal box.
Not as far as a decent home router, but they are advertising that it works outside the car.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve also tested this fwiw, while waiting to pick someone up and standing on his stoop a couple car lengths from the car. Worked well.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
37 Posts
I have the service on my car and it definitely works outside the car. I was at the dealer ship yesterday getting an oil change and I had service on my phone at 10 feet away and with a wall between me and the car. I have wondered how long the connection will remain active as well once the car has been turned off. Not sure what tech is going on here to keep it active after the car is off.

LOL, nice catch on the speel checker

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
122 Posts
I set it up today on the 1 GB/1 month trial. It worked OK and then I went into the house. About 30 minutes later I received the following:

We're glad you're enjoying your complimentary 1GB Trial for 30 Day. We wanted to let you know that you've used 100% of your data allowance.

To see how much data you've used, or manage your account, go to http://www.att.com/subaru.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T
Looks like my iPod decided to upgrade its iOS. Before I figured that out, I called the AT&T support number and it was like talking to a rock. Sounded like a call center in the Philippines or somewhere in Asia.

Will likely try the $15/month deal and hopefully can keep from draining 22 GB in the first half hour.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts