Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Depending on what your data plan is on your phone, you could just enable the hotspot capabilities of your device and use that instead. Not good idea if you are not on an unlimited data plan.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Touring
127 Posts
We tried the WiFi hotspot free trial and tore through a gig in 2 weeks at which point the hotspot was suspended. Mind you we do not drive every day. However, on our long drive to/from Champaign/Indy yesterday we had varying degrees of no access to the Internets. Looking at the ATT coverage map it seems like we should not have had issues at all. Not sure how to troubleshoot that issue. But it was one of the first times we were doing things like trying to email photographs of the dog we were transporting.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We tried the WiFi hotspot free trial and tore through a gig in 2 weeks at which point the hotspot was suspended. Mind you we do not drive every day. However, on our long drive to/from Champaign/Indy yesterday we had varying degrees of no access to the Internets. Looking at the ATT coverage map it seems like we should not have had issues at all. Not sure how to troubleshoot that issue. But it was one of the first times we were doing things like trying to email photographs of the dog we were transporting.
Possibly a dumb question, but had you been hovering around the 1G limit when the internet got spotty? We live in the Northeast where basically everywhere is blanketed with a strong ATT signal, so we rarely have issues.

We've also kept the $15/mo promotional pricing for unlimited data and it's worked out well -- we drive typically only once a week or so, but once or twice a month do a longer ride with the kids where we have 3-4 devices tethering and the in-car hotspot has been nice. In November (including many hours of Thanksgiving week driving) we used 12 GB of data :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Possibly a dumb question, but had you been hovering around the 1G limit when the internet got spotty? We live in the Northeast where basically everywhere is blanketed with a strong ATT signal, so we rarely have issues.

We've also kept the $15/mo promotional pricing for unlimited data and it's worked out well -- we drive typically only once a week or so, but once or twice a month do a longer ride with the kids where we have 3-4 devices tethering and the in-car hotspot has been nice. In November (including many hours of Thanksgiving week driving) we used 12 GB of data :)
No. We had used up the 1G by Friday. So I signed up either Friday or Saturday for the unlimited plan so this should have been on the all unlimited plan. We didn't get the $15/mo promotional pricing :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agree - but I think that train has already left the station.
I don't agree. We use it to download maps for hiking, get reviews of activities, make reservations, check the weather, and communicate with family (and remain reachable in case of emergency). Having cell coverage is useful.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No. We had used up the 1G by Friday. So I signed up either Friday or Saturday for the unlimited plan so this should have been on the all unlimited plan. We didn't get the $15/mo promotional pricing :(
Doh, bummer. Not sure what would explain the spottiness then! Maybe the crazy weather patterns?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
What's that $15 promo, and what would be the regular rate? Do you have to be an existing AT&T customer? Is that something the dealer promotes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the promo was held in October? I'm not sure.

Regular unlimited price is $25/month. If you purchase a years worth it is $20/month. And cheaper for 24 months. However, read the fine print. The data plan is non-transferrable and depending on where you live non-refundable. The problem when one vendor holds a monopoly. Much like my cable internet. I can only get one carrier at my house. So we pay $120 for 200/20 service.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah, I think the promo ended at the end of October, but seems to be still in effect if you signed up then.

And brutal re the cost for your internet at those speeds. We've got 2-3 options (FiOS, cable, and reasonable speed DSL) and pay $99/month for gigabit up and down. Broadband cartels are a total racket.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't agree. We use it to download maps for hiking, get reviews of activities, make reservations, check the weather, and communicate with family (and remain reachable in case of emergency). Having cell coverage is useful.
FWIW, I think the spirit of the remark is more along the lines of disconnecting while you camp, not surfing the web. Communicating with family in the event of the emergency is a given, as is routing/directions. Surfing SubaruOutback.org or watching YouTube videos from the SloMoGuys is probably stretching it :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, I think the promo ended at the end of October, but seems to be still in effect if you signed up then.

And brutal re the cost for your internet at those speeds. We've got 2-3 options (FiOS, cable, and reasonable speed DSL) and pay $99/month for gigabit up and down. Broadband cartels are a total racket.
yet for some reason FiOS to your car is a little impractical. o_O

·
Registered
127 Posts
yet for some reason FiOS to your car is a little impractical. o_O
Which is why I'm waiting on 5G. Verizon has started deploying 5G here in Indy. I saw a 5G truck 3 blocks away. I'm fingers crossed I get notified we can get 5G here soon.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
334 Posts
5G isn't going to do anything for your current vehicle...it doesn't have a 5G radio. But yes, it will be very nice when it's deployed enough so compatible devices can leverage it. The big challenge with 5G deployment is that the base station radios have to be within a few thousand feet of each other. (building penetration is also a problem due to the wavelength) It's going to take a very long time for 5G to become somewhat ubiquitous for that reason. Most of the physical installation is being done by third parties who are leasing the gear back to the carriers. It's almost impractical for the carriers to deploy their own radios for 5G because of the required density, so I strongly suspect that the majority of the physical infrastructure will be shared with the back-end systems sorting out who pays for what bandwidth is being used in the moment.

We now return you to your regular WiFi in your cabin thread... :D

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
5G isn't going to do anything for your current vehicle...it doesn't have a 5G radio. But yes, it will be very nice when it's deployed enough so compatible devices can leverage it. The big challenge with 5G deployment is that the base station radios have to be within a few thousand feet of each other. (building penetration is also a problem due to the wavelength) It's going to take a very long time for 5G to become somewhat ubiquitous for that reason. Most of the physical installation is being done by third parties who are leasing the gear back to the carriers. It's almost impractical for the carriers to deploy their own radios for 5G because of the required density, so I strongly suspect that the majority of the physical infrastructure will be shared with the back-end systems sorting out who pays for what bandwidth is being used in the moment.

We now return you to your regular WiFi in your cabin thread... :D
Yep, exactly - trouble with 5G is that the signal doesn't travel very far -- barely farther than good WiFi -- so unless it's completely blanketing an area where you're driving you'll likely end up with 4G/LTE speeds anyway :( But it's very exciting that we'll be able to have those speeds on our phones/tethered devices at all - it's pretty exciting, even if in many situations you'll end up back down in LTE-land.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
334 Posts
Yup. I live just outside of Doylestown PA where Castle Crown has all but completed the 5G physical deployment. Most base stations are spaced between 1500 and 3000 feet based on anecdotal observation. They were originally going to deploy 44 base stations in the town but a law suit ensued and the number was cut to 34. Whether or not that will impact service and coverage, remains unknown until VZ turns up 5G...they are the first customer and I believe the fact that every one of the base stations is leveraging the existing FiOS terminals for backhaul contributed to that initial exclusivity. That particular law suit is what likely has sparked ongoing legislative efforts to make sure that the required infrastructure for 5G is deployable similar to previous technologies without interference by local jurisdictions. Interestingly, the base stations are small and unobtrusive but a lot of the objections have been on the basis of visual complaints or concern with an occasional new pole being installed in the public easement in a neighborhood. Current 3G/4G/LTE towers are a lot more unsightly to me!!! (But in fairness, they are also miles apart and often lurking on buildings in more urban areas rather than along the street)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Right. It is about 5G to my house. Here in Indy Verizon is installing the external antennas on the houses. I don't know if they are using a contractor but if they are they are driving Verizon 5G vans. And back to WiFi in the Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
Speaking of 5G but not really related at all.
Has anybody done a Speed Test (speedtest.net) on the in car hot spot/wifi to know how fast it is?

One would assume the antenna on the car is much larger on the car than on your phone so you would get better service/faster service but has anyone looked?

That's what would determine whether or not it's worth the $25 to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Speaking of 5G but not really related at all.
Has anybody done a Speed Test (speedtest.net) on the in car hot spot/wifi to know how fast it is?

One would assume the antenna on the car is much larger on the car than on your phone so you would get better service/faster service but has anyone looked?

That's what would determine whether or not it's worth the $25 to me.
Good question. I haven't done it. But you can enable the free trial and see from your car how it goes. You get to use up to 1 gig for the first month free. I'll try from my car later and report.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
Good question. I haven't done it. But you can enable the free trial and see from your car how it goes. You get to use up to 1 gig for the first month free. I'll try from my car later and report.
You are correct, I also just haven't done it yet.
I think I am going to wait for about two weeks until I'll be on the road for about 8 hours on a round trip so I can test it in several different spots. I'd be curious to know what to expect from anybody who has it active already though.
Thanks!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts