Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too much time on my hands, and curious as to what mileage (MPG) you are getting?
Seems like the Turbo Mileage not as good as advertised, but there is also a break in period which includes fun time pushing the engine.
I'm still 70% in favor of a Blue Onyx XT, with a Blue Limited at 30%

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
also maybe include if the hand calculation is close, or not close, to whatever fuel economy is displayed on the dash (or wherever it's displayed).

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
503 Posts
My Touring XT gets around 27mpg in mixed highway/city when my wife is driving. I've been getting around 22mpg around the city. On my only extended highway driving I got around 25mpg, but was going pretty heavy on the pedal testing out the turbo.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Touring XT gets around 27mpg in mixed highway/city when my wife is driving. I've been getting around 22mpg around the city. On my only extended highway driving I got around 25mpg, but was going pretty heavy on the pedal testing out the turbo.
Yep...my guess the XT models are all being put through their paces!

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, how hard do you have to accelerate to kick the turbo on? Trying to figure out if my normal driving would have me entering it all the time.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
503 Posts
So, how hard do you have to accelerate to kick the turbo on? Trying to figure out if my normal driving would have me entering it all the time.
It's all a matter of degree - there's no on/off switch really. The turbo is spooled up pretty much as long as you've got your foot on the accelerator. If you slam the pedal down suddenly while you're already accelerating less aggressively, the car just takes off. Under normal milder situations the turbo is just providing less power.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
133 Posts
Depending on the situation, not much. There have been a couple times, getting used to the accelerator curve, I've almost lost it and hit the curb, etc. Having never driven a turbo before, I'm learning I need to be easy on the accelerator. My foot remains ready to pull back a little as the car dips in to turbo to avoid pouring on too much energy. It isn't a problem on a larger road or at higher speeds. I've only had concerns at slower speeds in heavy traffic when I need to get up a hill or around something. Those first few dozen miles you can go from "this is nice" to "HOLY #&*!" real fast. The car spends nearly all of its time in adaptive cruise control, which is a much safer and more cautious driver than I am.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have about 400 miles on my Onyx XT so far, so the engine is still breaking in. My avg mpg on my current tank of gas is a whopping 17.5 😁

Things impacting this include:
  • Horrible stop-n-go traffic in the DMV (5 mile one way commute takes me ~25 minutes). I actually like the start/stop feature when I’m waiting several minutes to get through an intersection
  • The aforementioned new engine break-in period
  • Lead foot syndrome means lots of boost
  • Showing off the car to friends and family means lots of boost
I’m starting to notice that using the paddle shifters can drastically increase your mpg. For instance, if you had to accelerate a bunch to get through a light or make a tight merge, you can shift up afterwards to let the CVT know you’re not always driving crazy.

Ultimately if you drive the car conservatively you should probably get around the EPA estimates. But boost is also pretty fun....

I have my first mini road trip (250 miles) for a wedding this weekend, so I should see a good uptick in mpg. Will report back!

On a side note, are there any drive modes on this vehicle (eco, sport, etc)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really miss the SI Drive from my Forester XT. The sport and sport sharp settings definitely made a difference with responsiveness. I wonder why they were omitted from the Outback XT? They dinged fuel economy but we're nice to have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our Blue Onyx XT is sitting at 25mpg after highway and city driving, but we've only got 400 miles on it.... still in the "break-in" period.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Onyx XT only has about 360 miles and it seems to be averaging 19.8 mpg. I Believe I got around 23/24 mpg on my previous OB 2.5, so I think part of it is my driving style.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my outback touring xt on Monday, and I have driven 77 miles with an average of 13.8 mpg, combination of some highway and city. I sure hope this improves. My range on the tank is only 210 miles till empty.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts