Subaru Outback Forums banner

481 - 500 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
2 Posts
23.9 and 25.1 for the last two fill ups. Just hit 5000 miles. 2.5 NA; flat land of ND, 8 miles in town and 22 miles of 75 mph highway every day. Easy on the throttle during manual acceleration, and adaptive cruise set to comfort acceleration. Rather disappointed in the mpg.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5i
6 Posts
I was finally able to take it on a road trip (about 200 miles) over the weekend. According to the vehicle. I averaged roughly 27 mpg. ‘20 Limited Here

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
I was finally able to take it on a road trip (about 200 miles) over the weekend. According to the vehicle. I averaged roughly 27 mpg. ‘20 Limited Here
What was your typical speed do you think? Seems pretty low unless you were doing 75+ most of the time or had a bunch of stuff on top of the car.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
28 Posts
First fill up at 260 miles and I got ~21 MPG with about 2/3 city, 1/3 highway. I'm going to loosely keep eye on fuel economy (especially during break in) but I'm also going to try not to obsess over it too much either.

I have a turbo, I live in LA, have a bit of a heavy foot...not going to let obsession take away from the fun of driving my new Onyx. And I DO love driving it!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I could pull about 23 during the winter months. Now it’s hot I’m only getting about 20. I thought it would get better. I do mostly highway too with a few lights here and there.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
Reset trip odometer and made 28 mile round trip to Sams Club. Mostly 2-lane highway at 55-60 MPH, but included to/from the Sam's parking lot about 1/2 mile off the highway.

Got 40MPG, but just missed it in this picture where it shows 39.9. This is probably the optimal speed for MPG and I hit maybe 1 light on the trip.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
972 Posts
Reset trip odometer and made 28 mile round trip to Sams Club. Mostly 2-lane highway at 55-60 MPH, but included to/from the Sam's parking lot about 1/2 mile off the highway.

Got 40MPG, but just missed it in this picture where it shows 39.9. This is probably the optimal speed for MPG and I hit maybe 1 light on the trip.

View attachment 489478
Measure for a full tank. For most of us the actual is about 5% less than what the car reports, so for your short trip that would be 38, which is still exceptional. You are correct that you were pretty much at the optimum speed and conditions for mileage. Our best tank ever was about 600 miles touring Yellowstone returning 38mpg measured at the pump.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
Measure for a full tank. For most of us the actual is about 5% less than what the car reports, so for your short trip that would be 38, which is still exceptional. You are correct that you were pretty much at the optimum speed and conditions for mileage. Our best tank ever was about 600 miles touring Yellowstone returning 38mpg measured at the pump.
Yeah I always do full tanks on Fuelly and get "real" MPG and also find the computer is about 5% optimistic I've gotten over 30 on a mountain trip with it.

I just posted this as anecdotal evidence of the probable best case MPG you could ever get out of the car on flat ground at 55-60 MPH. Tickling 40 MPG with this thing is pretty amazing I thought but would never get that on a real road trip due to speeds being much higher.

I remember driving with my parents cross-country in the 1970s at 55MPH, that was absolute torture. Going through Kansas felt like you could get out and run faster :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last October I bought a new 2020 Outback Premium (2.5 engine). I am retired and with all the stay at home Covid 19 stuff I have very few miles on the car - about 3,300 miles in 9 1/2 months! It is very flat where I live in eastern NC. I am an average driver - no fast starts. Most of my miles on the car have been short trips. The car shows I am getting 19.2 MPG. When I calculate it it's about 18 MPG.
I don't tow anything - don't even have a trailer hitch. I have never put anything on the roof. I am a little disappointed in the mileage.
I guess the primary reason the mileage is low is that my average trip in the car is probably about ten miles. I don't know if this is a factor but: when I crank the car cold the tach shows 1,750 RPMs for a while. That stays the same with the A/C on or off for a minute or two - or until I put the car in gear. Does that seem right? Obviously I am not knowledgeable about cars. I have kept all four tires inflated to 1 pound more than the door sill recommendation. Anyone else get 18 MPG under similar circumstances?
THX

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
405 Posts
Last October I bought a new 2020 Outback Premium (2.5 engine). I am retired and with all the stay at home Covid 19 stuff I have very few miles on the car - about 3,300 miles in 9 1/2 months! It is very flat where I live in eastern NC. I am an average driver - no fast starts. Most of my miles on the car have been short trips. The car shows I am getting 19.2 MPG. When I calculate it it's about 18 MPG.
Short trips are just heck (nanny didn't like **** I guess) on gas mileage. Engine never gets up to operating temperature, probably spend a lot of time at stop signs/lights, etc.

Your hand calculation is in line with what most of us see, about 5% less than the computer says. I suspect if you reset your trip computer and did a 30-60 minute highway drive on those flat roads you'd see a whole lot better mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
49 Posts
After the first 2,073 miles, I averaged 22.64 mpg on my Limited XT.
A 700-mile road trip helped this number a lot. I average about 19-20 mpg city and 26-27 hwy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2020 Touring XT with 964 mostly highway miles. Averaging 25 MPG per the dashboard and the MySubaru vehicle status report.

About half that mileage was done with a 16 foot canoe strapped on top, which I know is dragging the average down.
Also, it has been very hot and I've been running with the a/c cranked and the ventilated seats on high, both of which I assume have some impact on mileage as well.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
It's most likely the lowest speed that you can drive in the highest gear that gets you the best mpg. Not sure what that means in a CVT. For my truck, it's around 40mph. Not a practical constant speed in most situations. 😳

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,806 Posts
It's most likely the lowest speed that you can drive in the highest gear that gets you the best mpg. Not sure what that means in a CVT. For my truck, it's around 40mph. Not a practical constant speed in most situations. 😳
Yea, I don't think that number is to far off for the OB either. The instant mileage meter climbs like a skyrocket when I set cruise at 40-45 ish for back road driving. FWIW, I do find that using cruise at any speed seems to keep the beater bar indicator right of zero more often than driving the same speeds without it. Even when set at 75+ ( which is admittedly rare for me)
FWIW, still seeing 25ish average and 29 highway (65/70) on average. Very pleased!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Whew, glad I read some of these posts 1st, I was ready to really complain.. my MPG says 17.9 but I guess it's because I drive 6 miles to work each way, and thats about it, except on the weekends, although this past weekend I didn't really go anywhere.. I'm sure it will do much better once it finally goes on a camping trip 😊

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,806 Posts
Whew, glad I read some of these posts 1st, I was ready to really complain.. my MPG says 17.9 but I guess it's because I drive 6 miles to work each way, and thats about it, except on the weekends, although this past weekend I didn't really go anywhere.. I'm sure it will do much better once it finally goes on a camping trip 😊
Yea, what new car could be happy just going to work everyday? It just about warms up in that distance. You both need a vacation!

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
312 Posts
Trip from NC to NY this past Saturday in my Touring XT. I-95 travel going 70-75 mph. Avg 28.3/mpg which matches the trip odometer calculation, which I just found that new tidbit during my trip. Much better gas mileage than what I experienced a few weeks earlier. Before I using BJ's gas. This trip I used BP and Exxon gas.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
895 Posts
Just got back from a long weekend trip to LA and San Diego. Basically got 27.5 to 28 mpg on both of the long drives. (Car is a Touring XT).

Coming back north from San Diego, I was sitting at a bit over 30 mpg a bit north of Valencia / Santa Clarita (30-40 minutes north of LA), just before starting the climb (on I-5) over the "Grapevine". But between the climb, and a traffic jam due to a brushfire near the highway, I never got back to 30, even after coming back down into the Central Valley. Adaptive CC was set to 76 for most of the drive, and a bit farther north there was somewhat of a headwind.

I would also say that my tires were probably a pound or two lower than ideal...

One other comment is that I had the oil temp widget on display when I went up the Grapevine, heading. It was 100 degrees at the lower elevations, and my oil temp was around 205-210 while cruising on level roads. Going up the Grapevine north-to-south, the oil temp got as high as 237 on the steepest part of the climb (which takes you to 4100 feet, roughly). Nearer the top of the Tejon Pass, it was less steep, and the temp had dropped to 225. Going northbound, it only got to around 228, and on the long downhill coast it dropped to 195. The coolant temp gauge never wavered from its normal full-operating temp, so it was interesting to watch the oil temp change a bit, with varying load on the engine.

Total distance from San Diego to home in the SF Bay Area (East Bay) was 470 miles, which was done on one tank of gas, with a bit of gas to spare. Such a pleasant car for long highway drives!

481 - 500 of 552 Posts