Subaru Outback Forums banner

501 - 520 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
972 Posts
Just got back from a long weekend trip to LA and San Diego. Basically got 27.5 to 28 mpg on both of the long drives. (Car is a Touring XT).

Coming back north from San Diego, I was sitting at a bit over 30 mpg a bit north of Valencia / Santa Clarita (30-40 minutes north of LA), just before starting the climb (on I-5) over the "Grapevine". But between the climb, and a traffic jam due to a brushfire near the highway, I never got back to 30, even after coming back down into the Central Valley. Adaptive CC was set to 76 for most of the drive, and a bit farther north there was somewhat of a headwind.

I would also say that my tires were probably a pound or two lower than ideal...

One other comment is that I had the oil temp widget on display when I went up the Grapevine, heading. It was 100 degrees at the lower elevations, and my oil temp was around 205-210 while cruising on level roads. Going up the Grapevine north-to-south, the oil temp got as high as 237 on the steepest part of the climb (which takes you to 4100 feet, roughly). Nearer the top of the Tejon Pass, it was less steep, and the temp had dropped to 225. Going northbound, it only got to around 228, and on the long downhill coast it dropped to 195. The coolant temp gauge never wavered from its normal full-operating temp, so it was interesting to watch the oil temp change a bit, with varying load on the engine.

Total distance from San Diego to home in the SF Bay Area (East Bay) was 470 miles, which was done on one tank of gas, with a bit of gas to spare. Such a pleasant car for long highway drives!
I'm surprised by your oil temps as they are comparable to what I see in our 2.5; previously I had the impression the turbo worked less on hills and had a lower temp.

Optimum speed seems to be about 50. The best tank measured at the pump for us was 38 in our 19 2.5 during an extended stay in Yellowstone where the park speed limit is 45.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
Optimum speed seems to be about 50. The best tank measured at the pump for us was 38 in our 19 2.5 during an extended stay in Yellowstone where the park speed limit is 45.
If you go down to 40 or 45mph, mpg will probably be even slightly better. But again, 40mph is not exactly a usable constant speed anywhere. :)
At 35mph or below, mpg probably will start going down a little, and will drop more at or below 25mph.
Lowest speed possible in highest gear is a good rule of thumb for optimizing fuel efficiency, but in reality it's probably the rpm where the engine has the highest torque while being in the highest gear. Pretty close though, I am sure.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
122 Posts
Limited XT.

Have 21 mile commute that is 75% winding country roads 25% suburban. I get 29mpg consistently.

My wife has a similar commute. When she drives it she get 25-26mpg.

Took it on a long trip got 32-33mpg on highway.

I am hoping there is not a huge drop off in mileage in cold weather like there was with the 2.5. But we will see.

Mileage is actual, not based on car readout.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Autumn Green
62 Posts
Just did a quick 200 mile round trip up to Lake Superior to go rock hunting and then back. Trip-o-meter says 29.6 for the journey (30.2 on the way up). Very pleased! Onyx 2.4 with about 700 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,928 Posts
Just did a quick 200 mile round trip up to Lake Superior to go rock hunting and then back. Trip-o-meter says 29.6 for the journey (30.2 on the way up). Very pleased! Onyx 2.4 with about 700 miles on the odometer.
Yeah that's almost exactly what I am seeing, even after 17.5k miles.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,928 Posts
That's excellent for XTs.
That's the best case scenario though. Freeway driving at 65m/h on cruise control. In normal city traffic, I get around 22-26 depending on how heavy my lead foot is on that particular day.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
312 Posts
BTW, oil temp during my trip on I-95 from NC to NY was around 205. Never did see it above that to over 210. Touring XT.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
65 Posts
2020 Premium 2.5 - 34.9 MPG on 300 miles, according to dash. That’s in a rural area with few stop signs, plus 160 miles of road trip (mostly 65 mpg) but road work stops with air con running and headwinds for 75 miles. I suspect the gauge is almost 1 mph optimistic, but without the headwinds, after break in and my typical usage, I suspect A real 35 is probably going to be normal For me until winter arrives.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
960 Posts
Did a decent # of miles without putting the yaks on for a change, so reset the trip meter to see what I'm running per the computer. There is a kayak rack on top, just without the boats. This is an XT, Onyx edition.

I know that estimate is probably a little optimistic, but still, I'm more than happy.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
312 Posts
Trip from NC to Long Island NY (I-95), some in town driving for 6 days then to Norfolk via Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and back to NC. 1,199 miles with an avg of 27.6/mpg. Interstate driving about 5 miles over the posted speed limit of 65-70. Only had to stop for gas once each way. The OB XT was enjoyable to drive.I did use BP gas, not the usual gas from BJ's when I am home.

BTW, I will take the DC Beltway from now on, as Waze said it was faster taking I-95 through DC. But here was a wreck near a downtown tunnel. which cause me to lose about 60 minutes and gave me a high level of frustration. The navigation wanted to take to odd routes in DC. Also in NC it wanted to route me on business portion of highways that I knew were not the fastest. I have take the fastest route, but will check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 12000 miles on my 2020 outback - non turbo. So far I have been getting an average of about 28 - 29 mpg, almost 400 miles/tank.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
960 Posts
Overall average to date, per computer. Onyx XT. And I need to lower my tire pressure a bit! (Not touched from factory yet). Mix of highway and town driving.

Did a manual check on last tank. It came out 0.2 mpg under what computer said.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
2020 Outback Ltd 2.5. Did a 60 mile pure highway trip @70 mph without cruise. I am fairly light footed. Had gotten up to 36.1 but it dropped off once I got off the highway and had to drive up a long hillside to get to the gas station.. I set trip B to zero to see what a pure highway trip would do. I have been getting about 25 with just local driving checking by hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today is the one month anniversary of purchasing the Limited XT. We bought it with 122 miles on it and the dealership is 102 miles from our home. We bought it with a full tank of gas and have averaged (computer calculated Excel spreadsheet) 28.7 mpg over about 1,400 miles and 4 fills. We get right around 33 at freeway speeds and about 34 at 60 mph. In town perhaps 23 mpg and 26-27 mpg in mixed driving. Two tanks of mixed driving (12 days to fill and 16 days to fill) were around 26.5 mpg and two tanks for longer trips at highway speeds both averaged just under 33 mpg for the tanks.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
972 Posts
2020 Outback Ltd 2.5. Did a 60 mile pure highway trip @70 mph without cruise. I am fairly light footed. Had gotten up to 36.1 but it dropped off once I got off the highway and had to drive up a long hillside to get to the gas station.. I set trip B to zero to see what a pure highway trip would do. I have been getting about 25 with just local driving checking by hand
View attachment 491356
The real check is to do a hand calculation as you said. Most of us get about 5% less than what the car says, so in this example the 35.1 would really be 33.3, which is still good and right on target with the epa estimates.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Premium
12 Posts
I just got my outback touring xt on Monday, and I have driven 77 miles with an average of 13.8 mpg, combination of some highway and city. I sure hope this improves. My range on the tank is only 210 miles till empty.
Too much time on my hands, and curious as to what mileage (MPG) you are getting?
Seems like the Turbo Mileage not as good as advertised, but there is also a break in period which includes fun time pushing the engine.
I'm still 70% in favor of a Blue Onyx XT, with a Blue Limited at 30%
We have owned an Outback Premium for a month. The first tank of gas was 32 mpg / freeway miles. The second tank was 23 mpg / city mileage with the a/c running.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
The real check is to do a hand calculation as you said. Most of us get about 5% less than what the car says, so in this example the 35.1 would really be 33.3, which is still good and right on target with the epa estimates.
Yep, hope it improves over time I just crossed 1200 mi.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
I noticed something new today with Android Auto. I was listening to Spotify and wanted to make a call while driving. Ibwas expecting to have to use voice commands since ibwas in motion. What I found was when I tapped on the AA phone and then contacts it let me pick a letter at the top and scroll to the contact. Kind of nice to be able to do that. Also found ifni hold down the answer button the screen will jump to the phone screen

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
76 Posts
My Touring XT gets around 27mpg in mixed highway/city when my wife is driving. I've been getting around 22mpg around the city. On my only extended highway driving I got around 25mpg, but was going pretty heavy on the pedal testing out the turbo.
I wonder how heavy I'm on the pedal, I only get about 22-23 mpg average, even when I do a good amount of highway.
I come from a 2015 WRX so perhaps I'm too heavy on it :(

501 - 520 of 552 Posts