Subaru Outback Forums banner

521 - 540 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
199 Posts
About 1000 miles driven, a lot of city normal short driving, I get 18 mpg. Not much freeway driving, 10 miles or less at a time and 60 mph or less. I hope it will get better soon.....

·
Registered
2020 Outback -Onyx XT -Magnetite grey
26 Posts
I have 3000 miles driven. My combined average has been 19.8 MPG. I'm a very light footed driver, So I'm kinda bummed out by that. My last highway trip measured at the pump fill up to fill up was 24.6 MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2020 Outback Limited XT - 4000 miles, 80% country road/part city driving. Rarely does it see the interstate currently. MPG average 22.9. Mileage has slowly been going up. My last tank I was able to get 24.5 average MPG.

·
Registered
2020 OB Pearl white
7 Posts
Overall gas mileage 33mpg - I would say currently 60% highway. On a recent trip I was cruising around 65mph on highways and 55 on street, overall 39mpg - very proud of that. 1000 miles down total now

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,338 Posts
About 1000 miles driven, a lot of city normal short driving, I get 18 mpg. Not much freeway driving, 10 miles or less at a time and 60 mph or less. I hope it will get better soon.....
That's (almost) on par with my crew cab F-150, HD payload and max tow packages. :oops:
What's odd is the huge spread we are seeing for the turbo, numbers are all over the place.
Seems to be very sensitive to driving style and driving conditions.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
799 Posts
I've noticed that sitting at stoplights or a drive thru the gas mileage drops fast and is slow to regain.

The estimate ranges .3 to .8 too positive, usually to the higher side.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,806 Posts
I've noticed that sitting at stoplights or a drive thru the gas mileage drops fast and is slow to regain.

The estimate ranges .3 to .8 too positive, usually to the higher side.
So when you think about it. Idling produces 0 mpg. As I can recall from my GPA struggle in high school my days, anytime you average a zero into anything, it's a mighty uphill struggle to recover 😏

·
Registered
7 Posts
2020 Onyx XT. I drove ~ 600 miles all interstate with the cruise set at 70 mph, got 32 mpg calculated by pump and calculator (on screen showed 33.2 mpg).
Same as our Limited XT. Between 32 and 33 calculated with pump and calculator at 70-72 mph, 3 different trips, each between 350-450 miles. Several stops during these, but 99% interstate.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
143 Posts
With over 2500 miles in about 45 days of ownership I’m clockin in at about 33 mpg per tank. Been taking a lot of long trips and I love seeing that average mpg count go up so I’ll take it slow and enjoy the nappa leather. My last trip to the adirondacks I saw 36 mpg round trip. Unreal...better than my crosstrek.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Outback just turned 2000 miles. My everyday around town mileage averages 16-17 mpg. That's with driving very, very conservatively and maybe really getting on the accelerator minimally n a 250 mile tank. My last vehicle (Audi Q5) was consistently over 22 around town and as much as 36 on the highway. Both of these cars have comparable HP and 0-60 times. One big difference is obvious...CVT vs 7 speed. Very disappointed. On a 50 mile highway ride I get as high as 30. I love the car otherwise...just surprised and like I said ......and disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just hit 1,000 miles today and have done mostly city driving. Even with a light foot while city driving, we've only been managing around 17.5-19 mpg. Onyx XT, with some altitude here in Denver, CO.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Premium 15, '17 Golf Wolf
11 Posts
Premium 2.5 and whatever gas/oil came with the car. 40 mile hwy cruise with light suburban city. Average speed 60 with 37.5 mpg on the display. Likely 35mpg which is great in my opinion. Have 460 miles on the car currently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder how heavy I'm on the pedal, I only get about 22-23 mpg average, even when I do a good amount of highway.
I come from a 2015 WRX so perhaps I'm too heavy on it :(
There is a "favorite" you can add to your infotainment screen that tells you the % of throttle you are applying. I drive like a 90 year old with cataracts. I rarely seem to use more than 30% throttle in my 2.5.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Been easy on the throttle and set the adaptive cruise to normal instead of (aggressive?) and not using the ac as much and got it back up to the original mpg of about 22 from 20. Better than nothing I guess

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
76 Posts
There is a "favorite" you can add to your infotainment screen that tells you the % of throttle you are applying. I drive like a 90 year old with cataracts. I rarely seem to use more than 30% throttle in my 2.5.
If I wasn't going to use more than 30% throttle, I wouldn't have bought the xt ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm with you Victor.....I didn't buy the XT to drive less aggressive. This is my 4th Subaru and have never been disappointed. They always did exactly what was promised. It seems that Subaru has over estimated the low end MPG, otherwise there wouldn't be this many responses to this. This and the non-linear throttle response are my only complaints but they are annoying.
BTW...#mpls....90 yr old with cataracts...that's a funny line. I just don't want to have one eye on that screen just to get better gas mileage....just wish Subaru had been straight about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm with you Victor.....I didn't buy the XT to drive less aggressive. This is my 4th Subaru and have never been disappointed. They always did exactly what was promised. It seems that Subaru has over estimated the low end MPG, otherwise there wouldn't be this many responses to this. This and the non-linear throttle response are my only complaints but they are annoying.
BTW...#mpls....90 yr old with cataracts...that's a funny line. I just don't want to have one eye on that screen just to get better gas mileage....just wish Subaru had been straight about it.
I hear yah. EPA is never about having fun or even using the power your car has. Everything about the EPA ratings is Grandma on a perfectly flat hwy driving on a windless 70 degree day going 55.

FWIW, this weekend we went on a 150 mile trip to see family. Minneapolis to a rural town outside Hinkley MN. 85% 70mph, 10% 55mph, 5% city. Averaged 34.5mpg. Even if the car overestimates by 2 mpg I am thrilled with this. My old Audi A6 Wagon NEVER and I mean NEVER got above 24mpg in the 10 years I had it driving with my same old woman ways. ****, my last car, the Vibe would have averaged 28 on that trip. So a large AWD wagon getting above 30 blows my mind. Our Golf on the other hand easily gets 40mpg on that trip. But, it's a Golf, that is what you expect from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is the frustrating thing....on the hwy over 30MPG is easy. But....most of my driving is within 10 miles of home. I even allow the abrupt start/stop work. I had a Cadillac SRX which was a pretty good SUV but was a very piggy MPG. 15 around town was lucky but that was a 6 cy. Like I said theQ5 I had had amazing MPG. 22-36. It had a few eccentricities too. With the XT I thought between reg gas and decent gas mileage I would save a few bucks. All this being said....the car is pretty much a bat out of **** when you let it go.
I mostly love the car so will have to forgive it. It is the best Outback so far.

521 - 540 of 552 Posts