Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Taking my first road trip in my Touring XT from the SF Bay Area to LA (actually Cupertino to Redondo Beach—360 miles.) My MPG one way was 30.6—as reported by the car. On my first 3 tanks my car has been 2-3% too high compared to actual MPG; compensating for that I estimate the MPG to be closer to 29.6MPG. This is also close to what Subaru says we should get for an XT. I used cruise control for almost the entire trip set to 70MPH with the default/normal setting with respect to aggressiveness.

For me this is good news as to date I’ve been reporting numbers on the low side for my every day driving (19.5-21.5MPG.) My normal driving, as previously noted, has lots of very short trips with stoplights (< 2 miles) to the GYM/grocery store with a cold engine which is what appears to be driving my normal low MPG numbers.

When I get home I’ll post my actual hand calculated MPG from the various fuel fill-ups associated with this road trip.

Also I now have a little over 1000 miles on my car and the total MPG as reported from the cars calculations is 22.7MPG (which is 22.1 after I adjust the over estimate from the car) and including today’s drive to LA.

·
Registered
20’ Outback Onyx XT + 14’ STI Limited
21 Posts
I did a LA to Bay Area trip a couple of weeks ago flooring the car up the grapevine mountains and the monitor showed 28.2mpg for the trip. I got around 380mi from full tank until the gas light turned on. The car is great on the highway but stop and go traffic here in LA fuel wise, it‘s about the same as my STI lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2020 limited 2.5l. Just drove 350 miles. 36.1mpg at the pump. Car was loaded and 3 people inside. Computer read 37.4. 74 mile trip 39.4 mpg at the pump unloaded 3 people. 41.6 on the computer. All highway driving. Very happy I went with the straight 4 cyl. Def. enough power.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
862 Posts
Just filled up my third tank. Here's my numbers on my Onyx XT:

50/50 split between highway and not very heavy city traffic.
Computer: 22.9mpg
Calculated: 363 miles/16.2 gallons = 22.4mpg

I am lead footed and make use of the turbo as much as I can.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is my MPG associated with my recent SF to LA road trip (Cupertino to Redono Beach—and back) with my touring XT.

Code:
tank#    miles    gal        mpg        mpg
                            actual    trip computer
------------------------------------------------------
3        216       8.87     24.3        25.2
4        280.7    10.32    27.19        27.6
5        357.5    11.96    29.89        29.5
Tank 3 & 4 have miles from before the trip and some city driving while in LA. I filled up somewhere on I5 in central California as I wanted to make sure I had lots of gas while I was in LA.

Tank 5 was filled up before I left LA and I refilled when I got home. I hit morning rush hour traffic in LA and mileage was very poor (<20mpg) even on the freeway because it was literally stop and go—freeway traffic was so bad I had to turn off auto start stop for the first time. When I drove to LA two days before I amazingly had almost no traffic. Once outside of LA I used cruise control the whole way and had no traffic. Also very interesting is that the trip computer for the first time reported worse mileage than the actual numbers (and I really did fill the tank.)

Those who know the trip, there is a 4200’ hill called the grapevine as you leave LA and enter the Central Valley. The XT has zero issues with no straining/struggling to get over. It had more than enough power, cruise control (set to 70) made the drive and the RPMs were never very high.

Here is a photo of the dash for trip # 5.

(These highway numbers are very good, but my general city driving numbershave been much lower than Subaru’s EPA estimates.)

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
81 Posts
2020 L 2.5 NA. First fillup the computer reading was 29.7 mpg and measured was about 1 mpg less (however, the initial fill was at the dealer, so may not match my fill). Got in a traffic jam or two.

·
Registered
20’ Outback Onyx XT + 14’ STI Limited
21 Posts
Here is my MPG associated with my recent SF to LA road trip (Cupertino to Redono Beach—and back) with my touring XT.

Code:
tank#    miles    gal        mpg        mpg
                            actual    trip computer
------------------------------------------------------
3        216       8.87     24.3        25.2
4        280.7    10.32    27.19        27.6
5        357.5    11.96    29.89        29.5
Tank 3 & 4 have miles from before the trip and some city driving while in LA. I filled up somewhere on I5 in central California as I wanted to make sure I had lots of gas while I was in LA.

Tank 5 was filled up before I left LA and I refilled when I got home. I hit morning rush hour traffic in LA and mileage was very poor (<20mpg) even on the freeway because it was literally stop and go—freeway traffic was so bad I had to turn off auto start stop for the first time. When I drove to LA two days before I amazingly had almost no traffic. Once outside of LA I used cruise control the whole way and had no traffic. Also very interesting is that the trip computer for the first time reported worse mileage than the actual numbers (and I really did fill the tank.)

Those who know the trip, there is a 4200’ hill called the grapevine as you leave LA and enter the Central Valley. The XT has zero issues with no straining/struggling to get over. It had more than enough power, cruise control (set to 70) made the drive and the RPMs were never very high.

Here is a photo of the dash for trip # 5.
View attachment 473600

(These highway numbers are very good, but my general city driving numbershave been much lower than Subaru’s EPA estimates.)
Did you get a lot of high beam signals from other drivers during your trip? I think the headlights are too bright for other drivers. I know it was wrong of me to have the fogs on but I like how bright it was considering how bad my eyes are.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Both ways were during the day so headlights were not on (well they were on maybe for the first hour on my way down to LA) and since luckily I did not run into fog I did not have my fog lights on (certain times of the year ground fog can be an issue on that drive.)

But I’ve never had anyone flash lights at me, and my lights seem aligned properly. I also love the auto turning (or whatever it’s called) lights on curves, it’s wonderful.

the car really is a nice ride and it’s pretty quiet to drive and the sound system is great on the touring. on the way home we did not stop, about 6 hours and I did not have any cramps or stiffness that I’ve had in other cars when driving that long. I’ll also add that this car has real legroom for the drive. I’m 6’2” and this is the first car I’ve owned where the seat is not fully all the way back or where my knees are uncomfortable up against the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
6 Posts
2020 Touring XT. Just filled up today after driving all in town. ODO was sitting at 1468 at fill-up. I was pretty lead-footed with this tank as I figured it was time to let the turbo stretch its legs a bit. Love that power! But the mileage was a bit scary. Came in at 19.5. Not great. Today I did an all-highway road trip. Had the cruise set at 61 most of the way. Filled up again after finishing with the ODO at 1688. The results were MUCH better. 31.6 (manually-calc'ed), 220 miles. I also finally discovered the trip computer on ODO B and played around with that today. Reset it for the final leg back home which was mostly level highway. Came in reading over 33 for that 45 mile stretch, the last 10 being interstate at 70mph. Nice! I'll have to do some more in-town checking to see if the mileage improves when not being so lead-footed. I expect it probably will. I suppose the other variable in this mix could be that I'm sure we're now running winter gas, which in the past has caused my mileage to be somewhat worse. So it's possible once we go back on summer mix next spring there might be a bump in mileage.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
6 Posts
I am not all that surprised about the XT not hitting the advertised mpg. Maybe it will get closer after break-in, but I doubt that it will get all the way there in most cases.
After 1500 miles of break-in, mine did better than advertised on a 220 mile highway trip. 31.6 with the cruise mostly set at 61. This was through some very hilly country around the Mississippi, lots of ups and downs. I'm not sure it would've gotten that kind of mileage, say, 1000 miles ago though. I think some break-in miles helps. So far my in-town mileage has not been up to the advertised 23 though. Had 19.5 on an in-town tankful, but I was more lead-footed than normal as well. All in all, I'd say the XT should do at least as well as advertised when fully broken in.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
There will always be one or two who say that! 🤣 ***

*** I am joking.
Just like every forum has its designated Debbie Downer who is an unending ball of negativity that complains and cuts down at every opportunity.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
Just like every forum has its designated Debbie Downer who is an unending ball of negativity that complains and cuts down at every opportunity.
Just not a big fan of Turbo engines after owning two.
And with the comment above - I really was joking. I believe you. There will be owners who get the advertised mpgs by driving conservatively.
Sorry if I pushed one of your buttons. :) Didn't mean to.

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
81 Posts
2020 2.5L, 2nd fillup: 26.9 mpg as calculated from mileage and volume. Average temperature around 35 deg. Car's fuel economy gauge reads 5% high, just like my 2014.

·
Registered
2020 XL Limited
39 Posts
Ltd xt here. Seems to stay in the 28/29 range most of the time. But I have noticed when our temps got below 30, I seem to stay in the 21/22 range. Odd..

·
Registered
58 Posts
*MPG will vary due to ethanol (corrosive) additive. To keep this simple, when 10% ethanol is added to gas the mileage will drop 3% because the energy for ethanol is 30% less by volume than gasoline. So for what should be 30 mpg we will get only 29.1 mpg during some seasons in California.

*For mpg I consider odometer error which for my current vehicles is measurable using GPS and verification by checking my speedometer error since they seem to be related.. I also have used the CHP-aircraft mile hash tags along the I5 for additional verification. This is only accomplished over time so I don't use a correction factor to start my mpg calculations. Even though I am not concerned about mpg during the first 600 miles, I do stop and fill up at a Top-Tier gas station on my first drive home from the dealership. This is my baseline to start mpg records. For the record, I typically use a spreadsheet for my mileage. This has advantages that include adjustment for odometer error and the ability to create graphs to easily seen trends that indicate the need for service such as tuneups (sparkplug replacement).

**When the mpg numbers were released the base model was listed as 1 mpg more, in both the city and highway (26/33), than the other models (25/32). While searching for a reason I found the basic model weighed less so I hypothesised the original numbers were close but when rounded there was a one mpg difference. This could also be enhanced by the 0.5% difference between circumferences of the tires where the base model would travel less with the same number of rotations. This was a big deal Subaru because they were advertising the base model could get over 600 miles on a tank of gas. Any comments?

101 - 120 of 163 Posts