Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
I just wanted to weigh in on this to add some data, and also to subscribe to the thread. (Also this is my first post, hi!)

I just upgraded from a 2017 2.5 Limited to a 2020 Limited XT. The 2020 is my 4th Subaru, second with the Turbo. First off, I really did love my 2017 2.5, however, the two things that bothered me were the lack of any acceleration or ability to get around trucks on the highway (for me) and the gas mileage was never quite right.

For just shy of 48k miles on my 2017 the lifetime mileage in the computer was 26.5 and I drive mostly highway (I owned it from 11k). That said, I had seen and hand calculated as many as 36mpg on highway trips (twice in two years) however generally I was getting right about 29mpg for highway instead of the advertised 32. Not a big deal IMO as AWD SUV right?. If I was doing just city driving I was sitting around 20-21 which disappointed me quite a bit. The car was rated for 25 City, but it wasn't even the same 3mpg lower like the highway end!

Now, the 200 or so miles I have on my XT driving as what I would call normal (maybe a little aggressive while enjoying the new found turbo) It's averaging 27mpg according to the computer. This is well beyond my expectations so far, and I will add to it after the holiday weekend where over the next week I'll likely put 500 miles on the car. To this point, I am not an aggressive driver and after 2 years with the 2.5i maybe even less so since I learned to wait on the highway instead of attempting to get around certain folks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I rarely pass on two lane roads..my 2.5 can do it ok, but I'm always fearful of someone pulling into my path on a side road

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2.5L Premium only seems to be getting roughly City 22.7 and Highway 29. I've been playing around with different driving styles to try and improve mileage but it's not getting better. I already have around 1800 miles on my car. It is definitely far from being the 33/26 advertised. I'm guessing they did the testing in a very flat area with little wind! LOL

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnettie Grey Metallic
188 Posts
A couple of highway drives but pretty much all city traffic for my 2.5i

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,104 Posts
My 2.5L Premium only seems to be getting roughly City 22.7 and Highway 29. I've been playing around with different driving styles to try and improve mileage but it's not getting better. I already have around 1800 miles on my car. It is definitely far from being the 33/26 advertised. I'm guessing they did the testing in a very flat area with little wind! LOL
I have been averaging for the past 3 days, 12.9 mpg. I have only driven about 4 miles with 4 cold starts and 4 warm starts. This is how poorly the OB does on very short trips with a cold or even partially warm engine. The OB with a cold engine is a pig.

I can also get 33 mpg on the freeway if very carefully driven. So throw in a few of these very short trips and you will significantly lower your mileage. Also, do you know the optimistic EPA mileage figures are done with a warn engine? No cold starts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Appreciate all the input! Hard for me to understand the variance between the reported mileage.
Im probably 80 percent highway on my 2018 Legacy 2.5 and consistently get 30 mpg.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Mixed suburban stop-and-go/highway driving in the high winds of the Northeast yesterday. 26.7 as reported by onboard computer.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Not bad....wondering about your tire pressure! Those figures are all over the map as well! Trust you and your family and enjoying the holiday weekend.
Tire pressure likely due to the cold temps around here at the moment. Thanks, hope you're having a great holiday weekend as well!

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
OK so the first leg of my weekend is over with the new XT.
First part of the trip was from Indianapolis to Chicago, and then from Chicago to the Crown Point Indiana area. I'd say 90% highway driving except for between the on/off ramps and my destination which was about 4 miles at both stops.

256.1 miles. The fill up was for 8.916 Gallons.
The car reported 27.9mpg, but the hand math reported 28.723mpg. I was not expecting this as usually the hand math is about 1mpg lower. I definitely made sure to top off the tank after fillup, and the needle was PAST F when I started the car.

The rest of the trip home from Crown Point Indiana to Indianapolis the car gave me this readout:

Based on what I have read in this thread I am a bit surprised, but I am very pleased. In my 2017 Limited 2.5 I normally saw about 29-30mpg on this specific trip (which I have done many times ah la family Holidays), but saw as many as 36mpg (rare), or as few as 27mpg (more common) over the 18 months I had her.

With that, I did notice that gas mileage is highly dependent on speed. Most of both of these drives took place at 70-75mph. (Cruise set to 75, adaptive cruise slowing me down occasionally as necessary). I did notice that if I drove at 60-65 gas mileage GREATLY increased, but who wants to do that when the speed limit is 70 right? On the same token if I set it to 80 it was easily a 2mpg hit according to the computer.

I haven't put gas in the car after trip back yet to do any hand math, I will in the morning when the second half of my journey starts which is from Indianapolis to East Lansing and back. I will report back with the hand math from this trip, and the math from that one sometime tomorrow or Sunday.

Happy Turkey day/Black Friday everyone!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
OK so the first leg of my weekend is over with the new XT.
First part of the trip was from Indianapolis to Chicago, and then from Chicago to the Crown Point Indiana area. I'd say 90% highway driving except for between the on/off ramps and my destination which was about 4 miles at both stops.

View attachment 474739

256.1 miles. The fill up was for 8.916 Gallons.
The car reported 27.9mpg, but the hand math reported 28.723mpg. I was not expecting this as usually the hand math is about 1mpg lower. I definitely made sure to top off the tank after fillup, and the needle was PAST F when I started the car.
View attachment 474740
The rest of the trip home from Crown Point Indiana to Indianapolis the car gave me this readout:
View attachment 474741
Based on what I have read in this thread I am a bit surprised, but I am very pleased. In my 2017 Limited 2.5 I normally saw about 29-30mpg on this specific trip (which I have done many times ah la family Holidays), but saw as many as 36mpg (rare), or as few as 27mpg (more common) over the 18 months I had her.

With that, I did notice that gas mileage is highly dependent on speed. Most of both of these drives took place at 70-75mph. (Cruise set to 75, adaptive cruise slowing me down occasionally as necessary). I did notice that if I drove at 60-65 gas mileage GREATLY increased, but who wants to do that when the speed limit is 70 right? On the same token if I set it to 80 it was easily a 2mpg hit according to the computer.

I haven't put gas in the car after trip back yet to do any hand math, I will in the morning when the second half of my journey starts which is from Indianapolis to East Lansing and back. I will report back with the hand math from this trip, and the math from that one sometime tomorrow or Sunday.

Happy Turkey day/Black Friday everyone!
View attachment 474742
Similar to what I got. Also, please DO NOT top off your gas tank when filling up.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
Similar to what I got. Also, please DO NOT top off your gas tank when filling up.

Thank you for the link.
Don't get me wrong I don't usually sit and just continue to put gas in after it's done, but occasionally (like in this case) I wasn't sure it had actually finished based on the amount put in so I let it go for another half-second or so proving it was done.

I shall avoid this more actively in the future.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thank you for the link.
Don't get me wrong I don't usually sit and just continue to put gas in after it's done, but occasionally (like in this case) I wasn't sure it had actually finished based on the amount put in so I let it go for another half-second or so proving it was done.

I shall avoid this more actively in the future.
Thanks again!
Had no idea this was a bad idea!

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,389 Posts
This is an interesting thread. It kind of confirms my suspicion that the 2.4T is going to get right around the same real world fuel economy as the 3.6 does.

We average 26.5 MPG with our 3.6. Neither my wife, or I, should be considered conservative drivers. And, we have a daily commute that includes a 3.5 mile 7% grade climb @ 65 mph out of the Lake Superior Basin. On our 2500 mile trip out west, we averaged just under 25MPG. With hours spent cruising at 85+ mph. And tooling around the Beartooth Range at elevation.

I'd be curious to see someone post here that does not drive so conservatively. I'd almost bet the results would be lower MPG than the 3.6

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
I'd be curious to see someone post here that does not drive so conservatively. I'd almost bet the results would be lower MPG than the 3.6
There are a lot of factors to consider with fuel economy, so short of driving them side by side under the exact same conditions it’s hard to have a real apples to apples comparison, but we always get better than 26.5 MPG on our XT if we’re on the highway even with fairly aggressive driving. If we’re very conservative we can stay above 30mpg on the highway. In Manhattan stop and go traffic it’s much lower, around 21-22mpg. As a reference point, a friend of mine who also lives in the city has a 2019 Legacy 3.6R that gets lower average mileage than our Outback XT in both the city (hovers around/under 20 mpg) and highway (mid 20s), and that’s a lighter car than our Outback. That’s just one example, and I don’t have a good sense for how he drives relative to me and my wife, so it’s certainly not the final word. But I don’t know why you’d expect the 3.6 to get better fuel economy when estimates are clearly in favor of the 2.4T and lots of people are posting better fuel economy here.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
There are a lot of factors to consider with fuel economy, so short of driving them side by side under the exact same conditions it’s hard to have a real apples to apples comparison, but we always get better than 26.5 MPG on our XT if we’re on the highway even with fairly aggressive driving. If we’re very conservative we can stay above 30mpg on the highway. In Manhattan stop and go traffic it’s much lower, around 21-22mpg. As a reference point, a friend of mine who also lives in the city has a 2019 Legacy 3.6R that gets lower average mileage than our Outback XT in both the city (hovers around/under 20 mpg) and highway (mid 20s), and that’s a lighter car than our Outback. That’s just one example, and I don’t have a good sense for how he drives relative to me and my wife, so it’s certainly not the final word. But I don’t know why you’d expect the 3.6 to get better fuel economy when estimates are clearly in favor of the 2.4T and lots of people are posting better fuel economy here.
Turbos do very well in the government tests which are used for the official reported numbers. Not so much in real life though.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts