Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
I literally ALMOST added at the end of my message: "cue flixden to tell us how in his experience turbos are bad and don't work as advertised in real life"
Yep. Similar to the S/S system. I know you don't want to hear about either one of those.
You are paying attention (good). But if you bought the Turbo for the great mileage, then that's (bad). :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
OK so to finish up with my weekend of traveling in the new XT.
At 8 am Saturday I started on the road from Indianapolis to East Lansing Michigan. That morning I did the fill-up, partially because I wanted to see if the numbers were skewed when the engine was cold. (not sure why they would be, but I also did this a second time that day).
At that mornings fill up the computer read 147.4 miles and 28.9mpg.

The car took 5.478 gallons.

That brings us to an unfortunate 26.907 mpg with hand math (vs 28.9). Interesting.

Once I got to East Lansing I parked as opposed to getting gas first. When I went to the station this is what the computer read:

252.8 miles, 26.7mpg.
Car took 9.407 Gallons.

This brings us to a 26.8mpg in Hand math. About par for the Course, we are starting to see it level out.

After the drive home this is what the computer read when I went directly to the gas station while the car was WARM.

251.1 miles. 27mpg.
Ironically enough, the car wanted more gas this time.

The hand math coming out to 26.398.

Apparently I spoke too soon about things leveling out.

Conditions were 35-42 degrees and rainy both ways. Both had the cruise set to 75 occasionally getting behind someone and sitting for a bit. On the trip home I intentionally shifted the DIC so that I couldn't see the mileage. Obviously this had no effect.

This is the last long set of drives I have for now, but if I remember I'll update when I go through a tank of City Driving and in two weeks after another 8 hours in the car. Car should be plenty broken in now IMO, but I'm not sure. If I can get a 27mpg average I'll feel pretty good as my 2.5 usually did 29 I'd say as an average. The extra pickup is well worth it.

On a side note, I am not sure how I feel about the lane Centering. So far, I much prefer just the lane assist, where it only nudged you when you got close to a line. With this I feel like the car wants to fight me if I make any changes. In fact, at one point it pulled me hard to the right and I am not for sure why. It was pretty scary, but very easily correctable. I am not totally sure if it was something I did, or if the car decided to do this (I was reaching for a pretzel when it happened).

That said is there a thread dedicated to suggestions for the Driver Infotainment? Does Subaru read any of these things?

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
40 Posts
Just recently did a 400 mile round trip of all highway driving and only got 24.2 mpg. Going to give the car a little bit longer before starting to get upset with it. In my short trip to work the car gets about 20 mpg. Car has roughly 1500 miles on it, 2020 Outback Touring XT

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
Just recently did a 400 mile round trip of all highway driving and only got 24.2 mpg. Going to give the car a little bit longer before starting to get upset with it. In my short trip to work the car gets about 20 mpg. Car has roughly 1500 miles on it, 2020 Outback Touring XT
What are your general speeds on the highway? I’ve noticed that things start to dip quite a bit past 70-75mph, but if you stay around 65-70 it’s getting very close or sometimes even better than advertised.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
What are your general speeds on the highway? I’ve noticed that things start to dip quite a bit past 70-75mph, but if you stay around 65-70 it’s getting very close or sometimes even better than advertised.
I've noticed the same. Until ~75 I can almost get 30 mpg. After that, the rpm jumps from 1500-1800RPM to 2000-2300RPM and mileage drops dramatically to 25/26mpg.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
480 Posts
I've noticed the same. Until ~75 I can almost get 30 mpg. After that, the rpm jumps from 1500-1800RPM to 2000-2300RPM and mileage drops dramatically to 25/26mpg.
Yep. I actually find it hard not to keep up the MPG widget and try to optimize for gas mileage sometimes — this trip I turned it off so I could just enjoy the car :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
Yep. I actually find it hard not to keep up the MPG widget and try to optimize for gas mileage sometimes — this trip I turned it off so I could just enjoy the car :)
I keep the instantaneous mileage screen up and switch one click to the trip mileage screen once in a while. But, I will punch the gas every so often to keep the turbo on it's toes. It's addictive :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
I literally ALMOST added at the end of my message: "cue flixden to tell us how in his experience turbos are bad and don't work as advertised in real life"
Lol
We can always count on Flixden!
He would take on Mt. Everest in a 2.5 with no fear!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
547 Posts
My old Subaru's computer typically read about 1 mpg more optimistic, than the actual mpg, calculated from the gas station receipt. I guess this provides a bit of a false sense of well-being.... In contrast, my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid's computer reports mileage that is worse than the actual, by 2-3 mpg! Being a hybrid, where you are maybe more motivated by good mileage, it is kind of annoying that the trip computer's display is that much lower/worse than what you are actually getting. (For example, the computer will say 43 and change, and the gas station fill-up calculation will show that it was really 45 or 46 mpg.) One nice little feature of the Honda is that you can set the trip computer up (either the A or B trip) to automatically reset at gas fill-ups. I have the A-trip automatically reset for every tank, and then the B-trip is reset at each oil change.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
My old Subaru's computer typically read about 1 mpg more optimistic, than the actual mpg, calculated from the gas station receipt. I guess this provides a bit of a false sense of well-being.... In contrast, my wife's 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid's computer reports mileage that is worse than the actual, by 2-3 mpg! Being a hybrid, where you are maybe more motivated by good mileage, it is kind of annoying that the trip computer's display is that much lower/worse than what you are actually getting. (For example, the computer will say 43 and change, and the gas station fill-up calculation will show that it was really 45 or 46 mpg.) One nice little feature of the Honda is that you can set the trip computer up (either the A or B trip) to automatically reset at gas fill-ups. I have the A-trip automatically reset for every tank, and then the B-trip is reset at each oil change.
That auto-reset feature is nice.
On the accuracy: my guess is they can't get the readout to be 100% accurate, it would be difficult and expensive. Maybe they should just add 5mpg to the report (+/-2mph), and then everybody will be really happy! 😜 (except those doing the hand-calc, I guess).

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
7 Posts
I've filled up twice in my Onyx XT and my first tank got 21.9 mpg, but I did a fair amount of idling when setting everything up and the car had 50 miles on it when I got it because it was transferred from another dealer. On my second tank that was maybe 60-70% highway driving, I got 26.7 mpg. Both of those numbers are the calculated numbers but were honestly only off by .1 compared to the onboard computer. My 2013 used to be 2 mpg off every time so I am very happy with the accuracy of the computer and the decent fuel economy so far considering it has been 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower so far in all of this driving. I'm hoping for even higher mpg this week when I have a full week of highway commuting for work. I think as I figure out how to finesse the throttle and as conditions get better when the weather gets warmer and we get off winter blend fuel, I expect to be able to hit that 30 mpg highway number.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
I'm hardly into my first city driving tank and I think after 18 miles I'm at 16mpg or 17mpg or so, but I'll tell you what. Like others have said, the car is NOT efficient when cold.

Once it warms up it seems pretty normal and comparable to my 17 2.5i was around town, but getting to there the thing just seems very thirsty.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
10 Posts
I'm hardly into my first city driving tank and I think after 18 miles I'm at 16mpg or 17mpg or so, but I'll tell you what. Like others have said, the car is NOT efficient when cold.

Once it warms up it seems pretty normal and comparable to my 17 2.5i was around town, but getting to there the thing just seems very thirsty.
I should also add that 18 miles I've driven on this tank is like going 8 different places, so the car has only warmed up once in that time.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts