Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2020 Outback Limited. First Subaru. Automatically had problems with the driver profiles and equalizer settings but found good info and workarounds here. Now we are having an issue with the power liftgate. When we try to use the hand free function by placing our hand or arm over the Subaru emblem it will only open about 50% of the time. Seems completely random. Took to dealer and they suggested checking rear liftgate off button on dash which was in the “on” position. Any suggestions or anyone else seen this problem? The liftgate off button on the dash doesn’t light up or anything so hard to tell what position it is in. Tried cycling the button and didn’t fix liftgate problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks we tried that but no effect. Seems like it doesn’t detect our hand there. Salesman and technician both tried it and it was hit or miss for them too.

I believe it was your post that got me a quick work around for the equalizer so thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks we tried that but no effect. Seems like it doesn’t detect our hand there. Salesman and technician both tried it and it was hit or miss for them too.

I believe it was your post that got me a quick work around for the equalizer so thanks for that.
For me this is what works for the tailgate:

With the fob in your pocket, starting from about a foot away, directly in front of the emblem, move your hand/elbow towards the emblem, pause at a 1 to 2 inch distance and hold still. Wait for the tone. Immediately after the tone begins, pull your hand/elbow away. The door will open.

If you touch the emblem, it will not work.

If you don't pause, and instead continue to move, it will not work.

If you move away before hearing the tone, it will not work.

If you hear the tone but don't immediately move away, it will not work. This comes in handy when you hear the sound of the gate wanting to open, but you didn't intend to open the gate. Just stay where you are (don't move away) and the gate won't open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give all that a try. Seems pretty finicky for a car this expensive. All of these issues haven’t made a very good impression on first time Subaru owners.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give all that a try. Seems pretty finicky for a car this expensive. All of these issues haven’t made a very good impression on first time Subaru owners.
If it weren't so finicky it would be opening unintentionally too often. It's one of those things. Make it too easy to trigger and you get false triggers. Make it too difficult and people get frustrated. It's a balance.

If it were opening unintentionally that might be an even worse impression!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True a door that would open unintentionally would be equally disappointing. I gave your suggestion a try and it worked if I got the exact distance away from the emblem. Of course it worked fine when we got it last week and then seemed to stop so I’ll keep trying your suggestions and see if it sticks. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rather than start a new subject post I thought I'd give this discussion a try. I find all the incidents in which the gate will open using the emblem that was described mirror my experience too. In the nearly three months I've had my 2020 Limited XT I've only had a couple times when it didn't want to work for me. At the time I thought I had figured out why, but don't recall the details. May have involved gloves or some such thing.

What's bugging me lately is that I can't open the hatch from the dash button while the car is running. Even after turning the engine off, it wouldn't open. But as soon as I opened the door the hatch opened right away. I can see logic in not allowing a moving vehicle to open the hatch while going down the road, but even if you're dropping someone off and they need to get things from the back, you still have to kill the engine and open a door before you can open the hatch.

Something that may actually be a problem has popped up lately. The user recognition system seems to lose my profile, which means it's also lost my seat setting. I suppose there are lots of reasons why that might happen, but I don't think my physical facial features have been altered in any way since it was set up to recognize me. It used to not even be bothered with me wearing a hat. Now it knows who I am about half the time.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What's bugging me lately is that I can't open the hatch from the dash button while the car is running. Even after turning the engine off, it wouldn't open. But as soon as I opened the door the hatch opened right away. I can see logic in not allowing a moving vehicle to open the hatch while going down the road, but even if you're dropping someone off and they need to get things from the back, you still have to kill the engine and open a door before you can open the hatch.

Something that may actually be a problem has popped up lately. The user recognition system seems to lose my profile, which means it's also lost my seat setting. I suppose there are lots of reasons why that might happen, but I don't think my physical facial features have been altered in any way since it was set up to recognize me. It used to not even be bothered with me wearing a hat. Now it knows who I am about half the time.
Rear hatch is supposed to open using the dash button if the engine is on, the transmission is in park, AND the rear gate is not locked.

The car has settings for when it auto-locks and auto-unlocks, and which doors auto-unlock. My guess is that you have it set to unlock when the driver's door is open, instead of set to unlock when the car is in park.

If that doesn't work, you could try using the door controls to "unlock" all the doors (and gate?) and try the dash button to see if it works.

The problem with profiles seems to be pretty common and there is no known solution, other than a workaround that involves creating more than one profile, in the hopes that if it doesn't recognize you as the first profile, it will recognize you as the second. Kinda like registering more than one fingerprint in a fingerprint reader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts