Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Outback Premiere with 18"factory rims, having just upgraded from the 2010 Forester Sportech. I have my alloys (17") from my old Forester, and was considering putting them on my new ride for winters.

Couple of questions:

Will they fit the new Outback?
What profile tires should I buy to make sure I dont screw up the odometer?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
I think your 2010 Forester has a 5x100 bolt pattern but your outback is 5x114.3 so it won't fit.

If you do get 17" wheels that fit, the correct size would be 225/65-17

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An Update - I have access to some 18in winter tires. They are 225 60 r18 100T. on 18 7J steel rims with a 42 offset. Will they fit the 2020 outback or is the offset incorrect?

·
Registered
157 Posts
An Update - I have access to some 18in winter tires. They are 225 60 r18 100T. on 18 7J steel rims with a 42 offset. Will they fit the 2020 outback or is the offset incorrect?
42 offset vs. OEM 55 offset means that the wheels will stick out by about 1/2 inch more. You will have more inside clearance from suspension components, but the desired negative scrub radius of the tires' contact patch is made more neutral. Arguably not enough to be consequential; very few aftermarket wheels come with the Subaru offset spec of 55. But smaller positive offset will also be harder on your wheel bearings.

You will need to verify that the bolt circle diameter (or PCD) is the correct 114.3. You will likely need to get centering rings to make the hub bore correct. Steel wheels this size are very heavy. (I am surprised that you even found steelies in 18" diameter).

Personally I would look for lightly-used OEM alloy wheels where there is no question of correct fit. Lots of them become available from new car Onyx buyers who prefer different aftermarket wheels, or OEM silvers instead of their black finish; or vice versa those from non-Onyx trim levels with OEM silver looking for alternates. (keep checking " for sale" section of this forum, and Craigslist, and Facebook Outback groups).

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
Just to add, your stock hub bore is 56.1mm so ideally you get wheels that either have that hub bore or can be used with a centering ring and I'm not sure if steel wheels work with centering rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to add, your stock hub bore is 56.1mm so ideally you get wheels that either have that hub bore or can be used with a centering ring and I'm not sure if steel wheels work with centering rings.
Thanks for all the info - I think you have helped to make my decision... In regards to OEM rims, I was able to find these that are from a 2018 Subaru WRX. They are 17in, 5x114.3 Bolt pattern, 56.1mm centre bore....
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
Other outback owners have used WRX wheels with no complaints although technically they are build for a lighter car, they apparently are plenty strong - never hear of any failing.

Reactions: Newfie99
1 - 8 of 8 Posts