Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I didn't see any discussions on rear seat removal so I tried it out and took some pictures. The overall process was very similar to previous models with the latches under the seat bottoms and the four 12mm bolts attaching the upper seats to the body. The only extra step was unhooking cables that run from the seat upper buttons to the latches. We've got a Premium so no extra electronics for seat heaters or motors to disconnect.

Overall removing the rear seats doesn't seem to add much extra space, and my impression was that it wasn't worth the effort to build a platform bed out of plywood just to gain a minor amount of space underneath.

Hope this helps someone else looking to do the same!

IMG_20200614_180633314.jpg IMG_20200614_173843225.jpg IMG_20200614_173859270.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome aboard, you’ll fit right in with this crowd! I always wondered what it looked like under the rear bench. Thanks for letting me know. Curious if you know what the round disc with the connector tube would be? Thanks again for the visuals😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really sure what those are either. My best guess would be subwoofers but I never tested them before reassembly.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
167 Posts
The round access panels with 4 screws? I think that's to access the top of the fuel tank. One side has a main fuel pump and level sender. Other side should have a transfer pump & another level sender. Transfer pump because the fuel tank is sorta saddle-shaped over both sides of the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,257 Posts
The round access panels with 4 screws? I think that's to access the top of the fuel tank. One side has a main fuel pump and level sender. Other side should have a transfer pump & another level sender. Transfer pump because the fuel tank is sorta saddle-shaped over both sides of the driveshaft.
Yup, you can see it here:

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is so cool! Thanks @chvvkumar for the added visuals. Learn something everyday hanging around here🤓

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,095 Posts
Man, those covers just BEG to be replaced with a pair of subs!! I wonder how much depth is under them.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
969 Posts
Wow! Wish I could have been part of the design team for this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I didn't see any discussions on rear seat removal so I tried it out and took some pictures. The overall process was very similar to previous models with the latches under the seat bottoms and the four 12mm bolts attaching the upper seats to the body. The only extra step was unhooking cables that run from the seat upper buttons to the latches. We've got a Premium so no extra electronics for seat heaters or motors to disconnect.

Overall removing the rear seats doesn't seem to add much extra space, and my impression was that it wasn't worth the effort to build a platform bed out of plywood just to gain a minor amount of space underneath.

Hope this helps someone else looking to do the same!

View attachment 486128 View attachment 486129 View attachment 486130
Finally came across the info i’ve been looking for. Did you by chance try folding the backs down before removing? Looking to find out if they laid flatter with bottom cushion removed. Want the deck surface to be flatter for sleeping. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally came across the info i’ve been looking for. Did you by chance try folding the backs down before removing? Looking to find out if they laid flatter with bottom cushion removed. Want the deck surface to be flatter for sleeping. Thanks in advance.
I don't remember laying the seats flat without the lower cushion in place, but it may give you the opposite issue, where the surface now slopes towards the front of the car. I don't notice the uneven surface once I've got my inflatable camp mattress down, is it causing issues for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea it does. Not a deal breaker, but when my seats are folded down there is a decent angle to them which makes for a “heads up” sleeping angle. Also, I a big guy so l would like to gain that 2 inches for headroom while moving about. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts