Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
I was talking with SOA earlier today and they expect a software release sometime in December. Based on past history, that is code for mid-spring.
Some have dropped a little earlier.... like the one for the 2019.

Ever hear the expression: "be careful what you wish for"?

A few days ago, the update for my 2019 wo/NAV was made available over WiFi. That installed easily enough. Since then though, my Android Auto which had been practically rock solid has been much less so. :mad:

I wish now I hadn't upgraded!

I'm sure they fixed some bugs, but may have introduced others...
Yep. Or the great update for the 2019 that introduced all sorts of bugs, and in the 6 month or so period where there was no fix for the things the update broke, the solution was a new headunit with the older firmware. Eventually a new firmware was released, but it wasn't right away.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
I don't think anyone would know as none have ever come out on Gen5 or Gen6, to my knowledge.
There are a few discussion threads about the 2018/2019 FOTA updates.... at least one was started before the official instructions subaru posted were released for the gen5. Those people doing them and posting about it were fetching them manually, not automatically, so no idea what notification you would get for an automatic update setting. For performing the check manually, the only discussion that showed a few screens (non Nav unit), it didn't show the updates available notification screen(s) if set to automatically download.

The other thing is that there aren't a lot of firmware updates for the 2018 or the 2019. The 2019 has had 4 (one is a map only update released today), the 2018 has had 4 (there are 6 if you count them, but two are map only updates via USB that change the revision number).... and, the firmware over the air updates are newer than most of those releases (it wasn't available until recently) so there aren't many people that were able to use it as a method to update the firmware.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
@rfuree11

Please share what the 2018 OTA update was comprised of. What changed? Were there "Release notes" like you get with a Tesla OTA update? I ask as I had a 2018 3.6R Limited. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Edit: While I wouldn't expect something like this for my Outback, I would like to see Subaru provide us existing owners with UI/HU/Eyesight OTA updates (new features and bug fixes) like Tesla does - and not force us to have to buy the current model year car to get the current improvements. With my Tesla, I get an OTA update about once a month. Check out this one I just received (Elon Musk always releases a Xmas present version.

Subaru will release a TSB internally, and that will get out and be publicly available. It gets updated as other versions of firmware are released. Hopefully this will change and a set of enhancements/bugfixes would be published along with the OTA update (or at least a site where you could view what's changed).

Start here on page 4 to see the 2018 changes/enhancements.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
Question: With all the new high tech features, including auto steering and braking, will Subaru update and improve the software over time like Tesla? Can new software be downloaded over satellite? Or am I dreaming?
The only updates you’ll get over the air will be for the infotainment unit and then the maps if you have navigation.

Subaru isn’t going to update other control modules in the car over the air.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
My wife just got a new Onyx XT and loves it. I’m really impressed as well but I’m a Legacy man so I’m having visions of the Legacy Limited XT or maybe a WRX. Any way I’ve read that there may be, or perhaps already have been, significant software updates in the future. How exactly is this done OTA? We are trying to avoid having additional cell service charges or other subscriptions.
It’s WiFi only

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Starbucks would work but the update will probably take awhile to download. The Outback's infotainment system for some reason doesn't support the 5GHz band. Only the slower 2.4GHz band which has a lower throughput and susceptible to interference in areas with lots of hotspots. I could be wrong about no 5GHz support because I'm still slowly going through the owner's manual and picked that info up from a youtube video.
The Gen5 will connect to both radio frequencies, so I’d suspect the 2020 would do so as well.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
Exactly.... Rumors are easy to come by. Fact/proof a bit tougher. Given Subaru's OTA history, I'm not expecting an update any sooner than this summer - if one comes at all. Past practices are putting the improvements in the next MY, hoping people "Upgrade"....
a good bet. I looked at the release dates for the 2017, 2018, and 2019 once. Not nearly enough data to show any sort of trend (other than there aren't a lot of frequent updates). two a year, except for the attempt at fixing the bungled 2018 stuff. The 2019 update that messed up radios didn't have a corrective software update for about six months either (owner's with problems got head units replaced which had the prior release on them).

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
not that it's the same model - but - other than the few crazy fixes for the 2018, both the 2018 and 2019 were close to a March/September release... even the 2019 fix that would mess up the infotainment units and they retracted the release and were replacing hardware for people that updated was on a 6 month cycle... my expectation for the 2020 will be the same - collect information over a given time, work to incorporate some fixes, others will wait until the next cycle.... so twice a year.

The way the software releases are treated - like any other TSB sort of issue/problem - relies on the back end support structure of the service departments... OTA and customer facing releases are very new to Subaru and they have some growing pains to be able to support those more fully (over the phone, online, etc - with the fallback of if everything else fails, see a service department).

there could be some constraint of not enough resources on the software side of things, but given the complexity of everything else subaru sets up to support their product (including fixes) a rapid release cycle probably won't happen soon.

Subaru isn't good at rapid software releases. They're very good at other things. One of those is implementing these fixes in a support structure down to the local service departments, and then getting feedback from that lowest level (the hands on, in person) - defective parts returned for analysis, input of discrepancies during repair/remediation, feedback from technicians doing the work.

Hang in there - a fix will show up, just set your expectations for every 6 months. Sooner than that, be surprised I guess.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
Interesting. The owner's manuals were updated online (although, like last time, if you go to the subaru vehicle resources page, the links will be broken for a day or so until they fix things... seems like when they update those linked files on the techinfo site, the links are broken for a day or more).

The auto start/stop wasn't moved for the 7 inch display models, but the cruise control acceleration characteristics were.

Comparisons of the pages from the owner's manual I downloaded when it was first available, and the page of the current one if you download it today.

Original owner's manual

current one available online:

Section for the dual display :

·
Registered
13,363 Posts

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
Two manuals, two updates. Once a TSB is released, hopefully it’ll have lots of details in one place. Those correction docs are just details of what is different in each manual. The star link manual is 4 pages longer than the previous version.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
so what do you put into search area???
Use the drop downs for year model and trim. So for this one, 2020 outback and then either engine option. Checkboxes can limit that to certain types of docs but I don’t bother unless I’m looking for something specific (same goes for the keyword box). The results can be sorted by date added to find the most recent stuff (or filtered by keyword)

Some docs are free to download, others won’t show a download link until you pay for a subscription.

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
This is free and seems to have everything, with direct links to the pdfs at NHTSA

yes, it's about a month behind. A good spot to get the PDFs for the TSBs though. The question was where to get the subaru list of documents I took a screenshot of earlier - owner's manuals and other documents listed there don't show up at NHTSA - many of the TSBs do, just a month or so delayed from when they are released. NHTSA only gets them once a month, and it takes 1 to 3 days to fully propagate on their site, and sometime later carcomplaints will grab the NHTSA listings.

One thing I've seen - NHTSA doesn't get all of the TSBs always - there are a few I'd like to read that aren't there and won't ever show up. Other content isn't replicated over at all... so the screenshot stuff in the question above won't be there (although that content is free to download at the techinfo site).

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
There are a lot of "X" columns that are only there for the dealer installed update. Not sure if that's worth the hassle vs doing the WiFi update? I just emailed dealer to see if 504 is available and if so, when I can I bring it in.
Some of those are probably because the base unit display won’t be able to do WiFi updates (the 7” display models)

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
My dealer had no idea. Wanted me to make appointment to bring it in and diagnose my issues. I told them I don't need anything diagnosed, I just want the firmware updated. I couldn't get them to confirm they had it available or not so will just wait for either the WiFi update or check in a week or so I guess and see if they have it.
the revised TSB showed up today, so the update files should be available. Maybe reference the TSB number and say you’d like the latest update (this assumes the updated TSB references a new software revision and isn’t some other minor documentation update)

1 - 20 of 223 Posts