Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 532 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
I don’t think it’s bellyaching at all, and resent your “So what” comment. Our eyes don’t adjust from far to close up readily, so using more of an already available screen makes sense to us. We did, as you suggest, test drive the car and it seemed fine at the time. It’s after spending time with the car that we feel a larger map size would be a welcome update. I thought this was a forum for sharing such thoughts, no? And in addition to sharing our thoughts here, we have been in contact with Subaru in the hopes that an update would be made available. Sorry if you feel we were bellyaching.
I remember when my dad used to have to hold things far away to see them up close. It baffled me at the time. Now that I'm older I get it. There are so many ways that it's difficult for to comprehend how someone else is experiencing something until we're in their shoes.

I suspect modern UI designers are young enough that they have fantastic vision and aren't designing with presbyopia in mind. Not that they should necessarily cater to older folks specifically... but having an awareness of it might help.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
The ability for the eye to quickly adjust from distant to close focus is not necessarily a glasses issue, it has more to do with the loss of elasticity in the lens of the eye itself, not an uncommon occurrence in older adults. The fixed lens in glasses can correct for far or distant vision, not both. Bifocals, or progressive lenses can correct for both, but for many people are difficult, even unsafe for driving due to their potential for dizziness or vertigo when quickly shifting focus while in a moving vehicle. Hence the desire for a larger screen, minimizing the need for a sharper ‘close‘ focus.
Thanks for a great explanation. You could change your username to "stillteaching"

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
They just recently started over the air rolling firmware updates (entertainment system only) out for Ascent owners, starting with the MY19 and soon to start including the MY20. I would imagine they will do the same for MY20+ Legacy/Outback at some point. Do note that the feature on the Ascent requires access to your home (or hotspot) wireless network for the updates and I would expect the same will be true for other models that start to support this. There are no updates over cellular.
That's fantastic news. Did your '19 Ascent get the update? If so, can you comment on what's different?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
I have read other accounts similar but not identical to your experience - not "common" but you're not the only one. Some have disconnected the battery, and then re-connected the battery and haven't had similar problems come back. If you keep experiencing this, go to the dealer.

Because this is a first-model year of an all-new Outback, with an all-new infotainment system, Subaru is very interested in having customers report problems. Even if they can't fix your issue immediately, the more people that report these things, the more time and attention they'll give to fixing it for everyone. It's difficult when a problem doesn't reproduce itself easily - you might want to take a video with your phone if this ever happens again, so that the dealer will be able to see and hear the issue as you try to control the volume and nothing changes.

There are other very common problems with the infotainment not keeping equalizer settings and other glitches, which it is hoped an update over WiFi might resolve.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
Because I cant find one that goes the other way, I have the angled one in the right port (cord goes to the right), and the second cord for my wifes phone comes straight out the middle. Not ideal at all, but 2 going to the right dont fit, and I cant find one that goes to the left.

These allow the cords to go left or right. It's a perfect fit, it's not cramping the cables.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
you just gonna tease me like that and not provide a link? ;)
These are just adapters, so they don't look so great, but Android Auto works perfectly with the combination of these 90 degree adapters and high quality USB C to USB A cables.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
Thanks for the link. Im going to try to find an actual cable oriented this way but may end up just getting these.
I too would prefer a single cable oriented this way, so if you find one, please provide a link! Aside from aesthetics, having extra connections can degrade signal quality. Just so others know - my Android Auto has been flawless in terms of USB connectivity with these adapters.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
@mm7759 was told a fix is coming in March for the audio settings. Maybe the update got delayed?
If an OTA update does come soon, perhaps it won't be the comprehensive fix we're hoping for...

I wonder if the Denso User Interface software part of it can OTA but the underlying Blackberry/QNX Hypervisor operating system has to be updated by the dealer since it impacts more than just infotainment. Like a software update vs firmware/bios update. Last thing you want is a bricked car!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
No update yet here. Someone else said that someone at Subaru mentioned March could bring an update. Not holding my breath, but still hoping. Even if there's no update it's not a deal-breaker for me. I can live with things the way they are.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
Then I got home and checked oil level. It’s overfilled. ****. Going back tomorrow.
Another reason why I like the Fumoto valve. You can have controlled partial oil drain.

Not having problems with my Android and the Starlink, aside from the losing EQ settings thing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
I've pretty much done my own oil chages since.
The dealer gave me two years of oil changes with my new Limited XT. I's still debating if I'll allow them to.
Free oil changes are nothing. Peace of mind is everything.

You can make an appointment, drive to the dealership, wait, then check the dipstick when they're done, (not knowing what oil they really used) then hassle with them about removing oil, waiting 45 minutes for them to do it, etc. Or you can change your own oil in 5 minutes. For me the choice is easy (I wasn't offered free oil).

Reactions: M.D.O

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
So how do you provide oil change documentation to Subaru? I purchase my oil on sale and therefore in advance of my oil changes, so the purchase receipt will not show the actual date nor mileage.
You put it in a maintenance log, along with the receipts to prove that you had the product. I have never heard of Subaru denying a warranty claim because someone did their own oil changes.

The car comes with two "Warranty & Maintenance" booklets. One is for state-specific verbiage, e.g. lemon law, and the other is the maintenance schedule and log. The log is very rudimentary and there is no requirement to use that particular piece of paper.

Subaru says on page 21 of their warranty and maintenance booklet:

It is your responsibility to retain documents which show the date of purchase, and, if applicable, installation of the part or accessory, and to present those documents upon request at the time a warranty claim is made. Failure to present proof of purchase documents upon request may result in denial of your warranty claim. If applicable, it is also your responsibility to retain proof that all inspection and maintenance services are performed when recommended and to check fluid levels and tire pressures regularly.
That's just a legal disclaimer. I ignore that bullshit. I do the maintenance myself, don't keep the receipts, have never been asked for a maintenance log nor asked for receipts. The only time Subaru would do this, would be if they have evidence that the car was neglected (you bring it to them 2 quarts low, or tar in the oil pan) or some other condition that reflects abuse and neglect that caused the problem you're seeking a warranty claim for. If Subaru went around paper checking everyone, nobody would buy Subarus. I've never heard of any dealer routinely asking for such documentation. It's possibly illegal for them to deny a warranty claim simply because you didn't have papers on demand - but that could only be tested in court. They can certainly deny the claim at the moment and you'd have to take them to court.

There is someone in a recent thread with an issue about oil consumption and a claim that Subaru should take care of it. In a case like that, yes documentation is absolutely necessary - so if you notice something is amiss, absolutely document everything - I would.

The other benefit to good documentation is that it can potentially help with resale value.

I have been putting maintenance entries in the MySubaru app, but I have no idea where they end up. I documented my first oil change, and my WUU06 flash. Will probably get lazy and stop documenting things once the newness of the car wears off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
In short, they denied my warranty claim. Now sure, I could have called SOA or the regional manager. I could have taken time off from work to raise **** and do this and that. Ultimately, I could have hired a lawyer and taken them to court. Ain't nobody got time for that, or at least I didn't. I needed my car fixed. So I dropped my pants and bent over. I'll know better next time. Document all that stuff, especially if you are an XT owner.
Good advice there. Was it the banjo filter? I had a 2005 Legacy GT (same turbo motor as the XT) and never had any trouble with it - but things like turbos blowing up from clogged banjo filters were a common thing. I used the black Japan Tokyo Roki filters, the best synthetic oils, maintained it obsessively. Also installed aftermarket intercooler, downpipe, did DIY openecu tuning, full exhaust (not headers). If I had a blown turbo they would have denied my claim even if I had full documentation of oil changes.

But the lesson is clear. If you want to minimize the possibility of a warranty claim, document everything. It's not that hard if you're disciplined. It doesn't matter whether you do the maintenance yourself, or have it done elsewhere, document document document!

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
Just to add a data point: Early production Onyx with an August 2019 build date. Screen has never blanked out - my issues are only losing bluetooth once a month, and the reverting equalizer settings. Changing the USB cable helped my Android Auto quite a bit, but it hasn't resolved the ones I mentioned.

Reactions: chvvkumar

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
To make things worse, many automakers are 'farming out' the software to 3rd parties so they have little knowledge about what they are putting in their vehicles.
Subaru has farmed out the infotainment system to Denso/QNX.

I'm curious if Subaru Eyesight is entirely in-house, or how much that leans on a third party.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
The function has been changed by the software update of the Center Information Display.
The list of the changes to the Owner’s Manual due to this update are below.

“Auto Start Stop” and “Cruise Control Acceleration Characteristics” were moved to the “Vehicle
Control” section

EDIT: The update is now listed in the Subaru Technical Information System as 15-216-20R dated 6/24/20 as shown in @walker's post:

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,656 Posts
There was a recent update?
The documentation appeared online but the update has not dropped yet.

And the latest I know of from last TSB is 503. So this looks to apply to next upcoming update?
That's what I'm hoping!

So, if I’m reading that right, then the driver will be able to disable Stop/Start with 2 screen touches, rather than the 3 required at present?
I was hoping for one-touch but 2 is better than 3. I just hope that after touching the screen, we don't have to scroll down to access that option.

I have an appointment 7/2 for the 503 update. I hope I can get this one
I had to notify my dealer about software updates - they weren't even aware of the 503 update. You might want to call your dealer and notify them to check for the new update, otherwise they might just give you the old update, unaware that a new one is available. PLEASE let us know if the update is actually available!

1 - 20 of 532 Posts