Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interesting looking through the Subaru Tech Info, and what's new documentation for 2022MY cars. No specific details but the new vehicles do in fact all have new software for the Gen 4 Starlink systems, so I will be curious to see when more info comes out to that and its changes, as when updates for current ones would come out, wouldn't be shocked to see something as the new cars start getting delivered in June/July. Pretty much every other change was specific wilderness trim Outback stuff, and ECM was changed to "improve OBD diagnostics" in all models.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 2021 touring xr and I have a problem that I can’t seem to find anywhere online, but that my dealer says is a known issue and Subaru is working on a fix. I bought my car almost 3 weeks ago and there have only been a couple days that I am able to drive the car with no issues. What usually happens is Ford I get a RAB disabled notification while driving. Then suddenly both my dash display and main display go black and all radio/media stops playing. Then eventually it will come back on (usually) but my eyesight will be disabled and cruise control remains disabled the rest of the drive (also usually). Once it happens once during a drive it usually happens over and over. Without the main screen I can’t control AC etc, and once the car restarts it resets everything back to how it started the first time so if I lowered the radio it goes back to being louder etc.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on fixes? The dealer says it needs to be fixed by an update and that Subaru is working on one. I currently have the latest software.
Thanks for any insight,
Rich
The dealer should still be able to if you request, basically reinstall the whole CCU OS resetting things for you. That issue is annoying and ultimately a safety issue. I am curious if the dealer is bsing you, I know their is a TSB for troubleshooting CCU issues on Subarus technical portal but I dont recall any mention of that issue and being aware and working on a resolution. That is either a bad OS install that needs to be redone, or in fact that whole CCU module needs to in fact be replaced. I would start cataloging each occurrence and if you want go have the dealer wipe the whole thing and reinstall the software.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yesterday I noticed that the whole display is not responsive for at least 15-20 seconds after start-up. I was unable to "mute" the radio. Then after a few seconds it muted and unmuted in sequence mimicking my repeated pushes. I typically don't touch the screen so can't confirm if this is the norm.
I can confirm in my new Legacy after a fresh startup the display needs a solid 30 seconds before it actually is responsive. Or else it’s so laggy/borderline unresponsive, but then it’s fine after that. It’s like any computer haha, just needs to finish fully coming on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sheesh gotta love Subaru’s never ending infotainment woes. Fingers crossed we keep getting patches. Personally only thing I’ve noticed on mine is the simply acceptable performance but it’s nothing amazing. If it starts rebooting or being weird I’ll simply have the dealer do a full wipe/reinstall. If issue reoccurs after that I’d start a replacement claim.

·
Registered
272 Posts
First of all, hello, my first post. Hope a Legacy owner can chime in.

I posted this in another thread but here seems more appropriate.

My 2020 was updated in February with the latest software. Immediately the CCU began crashing every couple of days. I’ve always used a genuine apple cable. Radio, CarPlay, Bluetooth, no matter. Audio would start breaking up, then blank screen. CarPlay would also not connect sometimes. I did take a video of the crashing and took it to the dealer a few weeks ago. They kept it over night and the following day I was informed they would be replacing the CCU.

It goes in Thursday, and I will post updates here.
My CarPlay is starting to upset me, idk if it’s the unit or CarPlay, if I’m using maps with navigation and I switch to texts or music app, and go back maps will be black and eventually quit itself and then I have to reopen it and luckily it remembers the navigation point and just restarts the navigation but it’s frustrating nonetheless.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anyone know the behavior with 2 different phones plugged in at the same time? Can you switch back and forth between carplay and android auto?
It cannot switch, when a device is plugged in after another has been plugged in and in CarPlay, you see a message, that only a single device can be "utilized" at a time. and the primary device remains.

·
Registered
272 Posts
2021 def has issues, today I was set to run errands, CarPlay would not connect/stay connected for more than a few seconds, restarted phone, switched USB port, nothing, continuous CarPlay could not be started/connected error. So in my agitation, set off thinking fine ill use the darn radio. Clicks radio....nothing happened.....clicks it 10 more times in sarcastic anger...its not loading anything, the buttons responded with the beep just didn't load the radio. Did the hard restart via power button, all worked fine after that. The concern is this system was unresponsive immediately after starting the car via Starlink, and it had its 1+ minute to "initialize" everything.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I actually had something very similar happen today. CarPlay froze, which sometimes happens with my old 6S. Usually unplugging the phone and plugging it back in solves it, but today when I unplugged the phone the frozen CarPlay screen display remained until I force rebooted it like you did. Afterwards CarPlay worked fine the rest of the day. Was this a case of a phone burp locking up the car's system, or a fault with the car's system itself? I don't know for sure as I don't have any other vehicles that support CarPlay. On the rare occasions I gave driven other vehicles with CarPlay, my 6S worked fine, but that's a very small sample size.

On my 6K mile trip I just completed using CarPlay the entire time, it was flawless somewhere in the 90-95% range. Most of the time when it failed it was at initial startup and was resolved by unplugging the phone and plugging it back in. There were a couple times it failed after driving for a while, and on those occasions the phone was very hot to the touch, so it was overheating from overworking. I learned to check the back of the phone periodically, and if it started to feel hot I'd pull it out of the cubby so it would have more air circulation to keep it cool. Based on that I'd say the problem lies more with the phone than the car, but without a larger sample size in other vehicles using my same phone I can't make a conclusion.

FWIW my wife's new iphone has never glitched in our 20 Outback, but I'm pretty sure other users here have reported problems with newer phones, so I still can't say with absolute certainty the problem is more with the phone than with the car.
Yah but mine went nuts with a 12 Pro Max, on iOS 14.6, I really doubt my phone caused that, and I doubt your's did either.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Delete all the phone and car profiles, soft reset the head unit and re-pair everything? I have same phone and I delete/re-pair after every major OS update (14.1, .2 etc) and soft reset head unit every Wednesday, just like my PC. Head unit and phone get along great.
If I could reinstall the cars firmware on my own I’d do that. Reset is not fixing potentially corrupted files. Heck where’s our bug fixes Subaru. Get with the OTAs already. 😂

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was there Thursday getting a clunk looked into. They told me the same thing, "hey, since you'll have a loaner we have a new software update if you want it?" I told them you already installed it under recall and they said "no, it's a newer one". I agreed to have it installed.

When they called me to pick-up the car they told me my infotainment was already running the latest software. (eyeroll). 508 (or whatever it is for the '20 model)
Mine did the same thing, for v980 on my 21....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Went to my dealer over the weekend. Issues reoccured since they "updated" my system. They copped out this time, said make sure my phone is updated and that I am using the latest cable. Also I guess my rattling is the entire A pillar so they ordered that, hope it doesn't take forever to arrive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts