Subaru Outback Forums banner

2401 - 2420 of 2518 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
A quick update. I did the 504 update a few weeks ago. It is definitely much improved, but still not flawless. I have had the EQ settings do back to default once. What I see more often recently is the widgets setting goes away. And what I mean is when you have the widgets set, sometimes I'll get in and it is no longer on widgets, but showing map directions or something other than the widgets. I'm not sure if there is a way to set it or not. I also notice that when I shut off the care it will tell me i'm not a registered user. Again, I assume these are software related. And a new one just the other day....I was not able to skip a song when listening to my library on my phone. I could not pause/play or anything, so I just got out of it and went to RADIO. I'm wondering if thats an indication that it could be the head unit itself now? At one point I couldn't get it to accept the steering wheel buttons to skip or pause. I hope they can get this fixed.
My eq settings stayed put in the last month I have had the update. As a last ditch effort, can you try resetting the headunit to factory defaults and see if that helps?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
344 Posts
A quick update. I did the 504 update a few weeks ago. It is definitely much improved, but still not flawless. I have had the EQ settings do back to default once. What I see more often recently is the widgets setting goes away. And what I mean is when you have the widgets set, sometimes I'll get in and it is no longer on widgets, but showing map directions or something other than the widgets. I'm not sure if there is a way to set it or not. I also notice that when I shut off the care it will tell me i'm not a registered user. Again, I assume these are software related. And a new one just the other day....I was not able to skip a song when listening to my library on my phone. I could not pause/play or anything, so I just got out of it and went to RADIO. I'm wondering if thats an indication that it could be the head unit itself now? At one point I couldn't get it to accept the steering wheel buttons to skip or pause. I hope they can get this fixed.
Just for S&G, have you confirmed all of the individual components got upgraded? Somewhere there's some screen shots showing what each of the individual components version numbers should be post-504.

I had the loss of EQ settings, and loss of widgets happen constantly pre-504 but has not happened at all since. I wonder if maybe one of your components didn't "take" and is still on old code?

Just a SWAG but worth looking at sometime?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just for S&G, have you confirmed all of the individual components got upgraded? Somewhere there's some screen shots showing what each of the individual components version numbers should be post-504.

I had the loss of EQ settings, and loss of widgets happen constantly pre-504 but has not happened at all since. I wonder if maybe one of your components didn't "take" and is still on old code?

I only verified the updates right after doing the updates. When they were working I didn't bother, but noticed more and more bugs happening lately. Good idea. I'll poke around to find those settings and compare.

Do you think the inability to skip or pause or anything on the screen is a software issue or headhunt problem?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
344 Posts
I only verified the updates right after doing the updates. When they were working I didn't bother, but noticed more and more bugs happening lately. Good idea. I'll poke around to find those settings and compare.

Do you think the inability to skip or pause or anything on the screen is a software issue or headhunt problem?
Not sure about the skipping problem. I normally just have Sirius on but I will try playing some stuff off my phone next time I'm in there. Are you just streaming over Bluetooth, USB cable, CarPlay, or ??? I'd probably use CarPlay to stream if I do that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not sure about the skipping problem. I normally just have Sirius on but I will try playing some stuff off my phone next time I'm in there. Are you just streaming over Bluetooth, USB cable, CarPlay, or ??? I'd probably use CarPlay to stream if I do that.
I honestly don't remember that instance I tried to skip that had this issue. I'm guessing it was bluetooth, but could have been CarPlay. I just remembered wanting to get to another song so hit the > arrow on the screen to skip. That didn't work, then tried that on the steering wheel and no luck there either. Tried to Pause as well and that wasn't working either, so wanted to do a reset, but was driving, so then just switched to radio mode. Then after that it all worked so never did anything with it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
I’ve posted on here that I got my new Legacy XT yesterday. It came with 504 thankfully. I only drove it back home from the dealer yesterday but I did get a chance to go through several intersections and had to stop at the lights. I was paying attention to what the Start/Stop function would do. But on that drive it never kicked in. Today I went out for a long drive and intentionally tried to hit stoplight intersections, of course since I wanted to be stopped most of them turned green as I approached. But I stopped at about 4 of them and stop/start only kicked in twice, once when I was stopped for about 30 seconds, and the second time when I had stopped on a slope a little ways from the light.

Riding in my wife’s Onyx the feature aggravates me all the time even though I’m not driving. Hers stops at a parking space, at stop signs, and stoplights. I had posted here as well as mentioning it to my wife that if the feature had some kind of built in delay, say 30 seconds before it kicks in, I wouldn’t have any problem with it. Whether it’s the 504 software or just a fluke it does seem something has changed. My Legacy has not cut off at all when I’ve pulled up to a parking space or a stop sign or a short light so far. I’m wondering if the slope I was stopped on had anything to do with the function even though I was only stopped for a very short while. Anyway my only experience with this previously was my wife’s Onyx, still on 502, and I had fully intended to make this the first thing I turned off on my car but it really is not an issue, so far. Have you guys noticed any change in its function since your software was updated?
Just learn to feather the brake as she comes to a stop vs an abrupt stop. If you bring the car to a slower stop with this method, the S/S won't activate or is at least severly delayed. I always do this pulling into my garage or parking spot and have NEVER had it stop on me before I go to PARK.. There are other ways to defeat/trick it too. You need to learn the car to get it to behave.

·
Registered
23 Posts
About the car saying you are not a registered user .... that has happened to me on 503. Check to see that the car actually recognized you each time. After the door has been locked and reopened it then looks at the driver. Sometimes it misses me with glasses on ( or a mask during COVID). I have to simply open and then close the door again and it then recognizes and says Hi Hal. It’s not foolproof though . (Also , you can tell if the car knows you by looking at the upper center panel sliding panel. Use side arrows til you see your name indicated in the section showing your all time average gas mileage. That is an odd place to show your name but there it is. I wish I could clear the mileage there since it was the result of hours of me sitting in the car with engine idling trying to figure out how to use the links on the infotainment system the first week of owning the car. Anyone know how to clear that and start fresh?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
533 Posts
Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
211 Posts
About the car saying you are not a registered user .... that has happened to me on 503. Check to see that the car actually recognized you each time. After the door has been locked and reopened it then looks at the driver. Sometimes it misses me with glasses on ( or a mask during COVID). I have to simply open and then close the door again and it then recognizes and says Hi Hal. It’s not foolproof though . (Also , you can tell if the car knows you by looking at the upper center panel sliding panel. Use side arrows til you see your name indicated in the section showing your all time average gas mileage. That is an odd place to show your name but there it is. I wish I could clear the mileage there since it was the result of hours of me sitting in the car with engine idling trying to figure out how to use the links on the infotainment system the first week of owning the car. Anyone know how to clear that and start fresh?
I do get the Hello Mike. But i bet it could be mask related. I seldom wear it while driving, but sometimes have it on when I get in the car and such. The cars are getting too smart any more! (Not sure if thats a good or bad thing...HAHA).

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
86 Posts
Speaking of driver recognition, can anyone confirm the operation for me? If I set my seat, mirrors, phone and radio stations (and I'm sure other stuff too) using the side button, is that the same as setting up the profile via the HU?

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts
So ever since I got the 504 update installed, after about an hour of driving the phone will not stay plugged in and it’s a head unit/software issue.
Just curious--did you ever resolve this issue? If so what was the cause, if known.
🧐

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts
Speaking of driver recognition, can anyone confirm the operation for me? If I set my seat, mirrors, phone and radio stations (and I'm sure other stuff too) using the side button, is that the same as setting up the profile via the HU?
Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you are asking about the memory buttons on the vehicle there are two preference settings that you can save into memory.

Although you may have a driver profile that is the same as one or both of your Memory buttons, there are 5 driver profiles that can be stored in Infotainment and none of them have to be the same as your Memory. Memory buttons can be tied to your remote or door handle. The driver profile relies on facial scans.

Memory Button Positioning starts on page 33 of the Owner's Manual. Driver Monitoring System/Driver Profiles starts on page 396 of the Owner's Manual

🤓

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
156 Posts
Large CarPlay looks great! When playing music it's a bit weird because the album art takes up a lot of screen space but is very blurred, so much that you can't tell what it is. Would be nice if they adjust that.
That’s fixed in iOS 14 I understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
156 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you are asking about the memory buttons on the vehicle there are two preference settings that you can save into memory.

Although you may have a driver profile that is the same as one or both of your Memory buttons, there are 5 driver profiles that can be stored in Infotainment and none of them have to be the same as your Memory. Memory buttons can be tied to your remote or door handle. The driver profile relies on facial scans.

Memory Button Positioning starts on page 33 of the Owner's Manual. Driver Monitoring System/Driver Profiles starts on page 396 of the Owner's Manual
This takes some getting used to. Does driver profile override memory buttons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts

From what I see the upgrade numbers on SYSTEM INFO are the same as they were immediately after I did the 504 update.

·
Registered
20 Outback Limited XT 13 Outback 3.6R Limited
217 Posts
It is not. Side buttons on the door set seat and I think mirror settings and are independent of driver profile settings. For the driver display settings, you have to have a driver profile recognized, and with the car running and in park, go into Settings and find the option to update driver profile settings. As far as I know, both door and driver profile just remember seat and external mirror settings. They do not change radio settings/presets based on driver profile. Its a bit of a pain, if you change seat or mirror position, you have to remember to update in both places. Don't forget to put the car in reverse, and position the passenger mirror where you want it before saving the settings. To make it even more complicated, there is a way to register the settings to your key fob so if you unlock the door using the key fob (not the door handle), it will restore the settings.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
344 Posts
To make it even more complicated, there is a way to register the settings to your key fob so if you unlock the door using the key fob (not the door handle), it will restore the settings.
Yeah it's kind of ridiculous if you ask me. 3 different ways to store driver settings, none of it terribly well documented and I'm never sure what gets stored when and where. Fortunately I drive the car 95% of the time so I don't have to try and get my settings back very often but it is annoying.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts
This takes some getting used to. Does driver profile override memory buttons?
They are independent of each other and run in parallel, with no intersection, other than the key fob/memory button as it relates to the automatic seat retraction, described on entry directly below.

It's admittedly a bit crazy.
🤪

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
319 Posts
As far as I know, both door and driver profile just remember seat and external mirror settings. They do not change radio settings/presets based on driver profile.
The Driver Profiles go well beyond seats and mirrors. Radio is not in Profile, it just stays where the driver left it. There is a tricky key fob/seat position issue on the far right column below. That ties it to the memory button, 1 or 2

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just learn to feather the brake as she comes to a stop vs an abrupt stop. If you bring the car to a slower stop with this method, the S/S won't activate or is at least severly delayed. I always do this pulling into my garage or parking spot and have NEVER had it stop on me before I go to PARK.. There are other ways to defeat/trick it too. You need to learn the car to get it to behave.
It’s funny that you stated it this way because I’ve often commented to her in the past that it seemed like we were approaching a stopped car a little too fast for my comfort. Of course I was driving a stick shift all that time so slowing down is a faster process that way even without touching the brakes and my expectation could be different. My comments tended to not be well received so I gradually gave up and just gripped the door handle a little more firmly.

I did mention this thread to her though and that over two days S/S only kicked in twice for me. That wasn’t well received either but it might trigger a little more attention to the process:unsure:

2401 - 2420 of 2518 Posts