Subaru Outback Forums banner

3461 - 3480 of 3512 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
382 Posts
Future upgrade wish:
The ability to play an album in a usb folder in track (rather than alphabetical) order. How this was overlooked in 2020 is inexcusable. My 2013 outback could do it!
Are you talking about Apple/iOS? Isn't the way to do that to go into iTunes on your playlist, right-click the left-hand column and "Copy to Play Order"?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you talking about Apple/iOS? Isn't the way to do that to go into iTunes on your playlist, right-click the left-hand column and "Copy to Play Order"?

View attachment 496990
No. I'm talking about playing media from a usb drive, not the phone.
As it stands now, you can shuffle OR play the song titles in alphabetical order.
The only way around this is to manually edit the song titles to lead with the track number: 1-01, 1-02 ... 1-10, 2-01... etc.
This, of course, is cumbersome and should be completely unneeded except for bad coding in the usb media player in the unit. So, classical music is not an option, or broadway shows, etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have you gone into dealer mode to check all three components of your software? Even easier, is your CarPlay full screen? If it is and your radio, etc. are playing normally, then you have a complete set of the latest software. Since the dealer just installed a new head unit it should already have this latest software, but it's worth asking. If you don't have 504, then by all means have your dealer do this first.

Assuming you have 504, full screen CarPlay, etc., try wiping the car from your phone and vice versa, then reinitialize/re-pair your phone with the car. When I first unbricked mine and installed 504, my CarPlay symptoms were similar to yours. I had to wipe the car from the phone and vice versa and have had no issues since. For a while there were some versions of IOS that were causing problems, but that was on Apple, not Subaru. My head unit has been so stable with 504 that even when the phone crashed from IOS issues, the head unit kept on working without a glitch. Apple tip: check with Forbes and wait a couple weeks before installing IOS updates, as that's where I found out about the versions that were crashing CarPlay and was able to avoid a lot of frustration.

There was also a version of google maps that would crash, but in that case CarPlay would stay up and running until google maps rebooted itself.

Right now I have the latest google maps and IOS 14.2 and it's about as stable as can be. There is a glitch with google maps in CarPlay where adding a stop and selecting recent searches pulls up a blank screen; I've reported this a couple times to google and Apple and am waiting for them to fix this. Other than that rock solid with an old 6S+ and a new version 2020SE, both on 14.2.

Some people say the cord makes a difference, but that hasn't been my experience. I actually use a short no-name cord I picked up at Walmart to leave in the car, and it works fine with CarPlay.

Hopefully some of this will help you. Please post an update on how things work out. Ever since 504 this car has been a pure joy for us, it would be a shame if it doesn't turn out as well for you.
Here is a quick update. As suggested I deleted the car from the phone and the phone from the car. When I started this I found somehow there were 2 Subaru devices on my phone. That alone probably was a good part of the issues I was seeing, once I saw that??? Well throughout the day I rand a few errands and tested what I could and all seems to be fine. Bluetooth calls went fine but I tried a call on CarPlay and had no sound but once I was able to get the volume turned up a call I made seemed fine! I hope that puts all this behind me! Thank you for the insight!!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
No. I'm talking about playing media from a usb drive, not the phone.
As it stands now, you can shuffle OR play the song titles in alphabetical order.
The only way around this is to manually edit the song titles to lead with the track number: 1-01, 1-02 ... 1-10, 2-01... etc.
This, of course, is cumbersome and should be completely unneeded except for bad coding in the usb media player in the unit. So, classical music is not an option, or broadway shows, etc.
I'm not sure if this will work but have you tried creating playlists this way?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
178 Posts
The ability to play an album in a usb folder in track (rather than alphabetical) order.
You can use MP3TAG to change all your filenames in bulk, at once.

Open MP3TAG
Pull down "File" to "Change directory"
Select the top most directory that contains all sub-directories with music in them.
The main screen should now contain every song in all the directories.
Select all of them by pressing CTRL A
Then pull down "Convert" to "Tag - Filename"
In the Format String box insert the following line:
$num(%track%,2) %title%
Then press "OK"
That will rename every music file with the track number prepended.

If you have multi disk sets you can prepend disc number and track by using this Format String instead:
$num(%discnumber%,1)-$num(%track%,2) %title%

They will now display and play in correct album order in the Outback.

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
21 Posts
Just got a 2021 Outback, and after reading on this forum about an update back in June that lets the Android auto mapping feature fill more of the screen. I noticed that my new Outback didn't have this. Called the dealership, and sent them a photo of the software version in my car. They said that my car is due for an update. This three days after I picked the car up. Why wasn't the software update already installed in the new cars? Now I have to go back to the dealer and wait an hour until they install the software update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you might have received some incorrect info from the dealership. The last software update that was released provided full screen mapping for apple carplay but not for android auto. Also, if you received a 2021 outback then i really doubt there is a software update. If i am incorrect then please post your findings

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I'm taking it for an update tomorrow. The latest update is version F31BHM008-500 The one in my 2021 is F31BMM008-500 I will post tomorrow after they do the update, and if my Android Auto has a full screen map.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
178 Posts
The latest update is version F31BHM008-500 The one in my 2021 is F31BMM008-500
In the 2020 model year the H, M, and B indicate what head unit you have, not a newer version of software.

This is from the software update pdf for the 2020 model year:

The bold text indicates the H/U model information:
F11GHMxxx-xxx (High model software)
F11GMMxxx-xxx (Mid model software)
F11GBMxxx-xxx (Base model software)

Based on that I suspect you have the Mid model head unit. That being the 11" inch screen without navigation. Is that Correct?

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the 2020 model year the H, M, and B indicate what head unit you have, not a newer version of software.

This is from the software update pdf for the 2020 model year:

The bold text indicates the H/U model information:
F11GHMxxx-xxx (High model software)
F11GMMxxx-xxx (Mid model software)
F11GBMxxx-xxx (Base model software)

Based on that I suspect you have the Mid model head unit. That being the 11" inch screen without navigation. Is that Correct?
Yes 11 inch screen without navigation.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Just got a 2021 Outback, and after reading on this forum about an update back in June that lets the Android auto mapping feature fill more of the screen. I noticed that my new Outback didn't have this. Called the dealership, and sent them a photo of the software version in my car. They said that my car is due for an update. This three days after I picked the car up. Why wasn't the software update already installed in the new cars? Now I have to go back to the dealer and wait an hour until they install the software update.
I'm pretty sure you did not read about the availability of full screen AA on this forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After hearing what some of you guys said, I'm really having doubts about this. I never talked to a service person. The salesman I was involved with said they checked with the service advisors, and they said I was due for an update. Which confused me because I just got the car. They went on to say, "and one of the updates is for the bigger screen for the android auto". Guess I'll find out for sure,. but I do think now that I was given false information.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
382 Posts
They went on to say, "and one of the updates is for the bigger screen for the android auto"
I have been following Android Auto developments and this is not a Subaru issue, it is an Android issue. Android does not currently support full screen portrait mode for Android Auto for larger vertical screens.

There was much discussion about this in July, after Apple CarPlay went full-screen but Android didn't. Subaru did include some improvement for Android Auto in the 504 update and I'm sure they will accommodate Android Auto full-screen portrait vertical when and if Android offers it.

Following the Android Auto discussion groups, I haven't seen anyone mention any vehicle maker which displays Android in a full-screen Portrait mode and Subaru is not the only one which is vertical; 2020+ Ford Explorer comes to mind.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I’d say the risk here is that they will screw up your unit.

No one here has reported a new version of software for the 2021 models (which already supports full screen CarPlay. ) No one also has reported full screen AA.

It is possible that there is a new version that fixes bugs for the 2021s but unless there is some critical bug they had to fix it seems too soon for Subaru to have an update. It took 6+ months for the 2020s to have its first update.

3461 - 3480 of 3512 Posts