Subaru Outback Forums banner

3481 - 3500 of 3558 Posts

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Not sure where I read it, and I could have been mistaken. What I read maybe did refer to Apple car play. So This update the dealer told me I needed is false?
If you heard it from a salesman and not a service advisor or tech, I would take that with a grain of salt.

My son is a service advisor. I talked with him this afternoon, he is not aware of a software update for the 2021 OB.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
22 Posts
Well from all you guys responses, i called the service department at the dealership this morning and canceled my appointment. I asked the service guy about the software update, and basically asked what this update involved. He asked who told me I needed an update, and I said the salesman asked a service advisor, and he said I was due for this update. I mentioned also that I was told the update included the capability of full screen Android Auto. All he said was I'll call you back. I'll let you know what he says when I hear back from him. So not sure what this service advisor that the salesperson talked to was referring to?
So I thank you guys for responding with your knowledge of this. I believe it saved me from two hours of driving this morning for nothing. I always hate to have a middle man when information is passed on. I have found so many times that the information gets skewed when its passed from one person to another then to me.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
No worries - I'm pretty sure we know more than your service department does. Your software is already up to date. I have the same problem with my service department. You're not alone - you have us!

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
22 Posts
No worries - I'm pretty sure we know more than your service department does. Your software is already up to date. I have the same problem with my service department. You're not alone - you have us!
Yes I have just recently found that out:) Anymore in today's world I have found a lot of people that don't seam to know their job well. I don't think it was like that years ago. Don't know why I never visited this forum before. Since I have owned Subaru's since 1987. Just joined a few days ago when I got my new one, and already it has reaped benefits. Thanks again everyone(y)

·
Registered
28 Posts
504 Version still has bugs that need to be fixed. Every time we restart the car, the radio jumps back to preset 1 regardless of what station/preset it was on before shutting it off.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,283 Posts
504 Version still has bugs that need to be fixed. Every time we restart the car, the radio jumps back to preset 1 regardless of what station/preset it was on before shutting it off.
Haven't seen that but will be more observant going forward. Certainly didn't see that on our trip this week. Does yours consistently do this? Was your 504 a complete install? Many of us had weird things when not all 3 components of the software were updated, but for the most part everyone seems happy when the complete package is running.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
166 Posts
I updated to 504 months ago and for the most part everything is fine. For the last few weeks I'm having some odd issues with my phone. Typically I would get a "should I load this profile?" question. I would say yes as the car recognized me when I first entered it and everything was fine. If I answered "no", my phone would not connect. Today, I started getting Bluetooth requests on my phone asking me to confirm the PIN. I answered yes and my phone would still not connect. I rebooted the phone to no avail. The car display showed the phone was not connected. I tried deleting the phone from the system and it warned me the phone was connected and connectivity would be lost if I proceeded. I deleted the phone and set up Bluetooth again. Very odd.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,283 Posts
I updated to 504 months ago and for the most part everything is fine. For the last few weeks I'm having some odd issues with my phone. Typically I would get a "should I load this profile?" question. I would say yes as the car recognized me when I first entered it and everything was fine. If I answered "no", my phone would not connect. Today, I started getting Bluetooth requests on my phone asking me to confirm the PIN. I answered yes and my phone would still not connect. I rebooted the phone to no avail. The car display showed the phone was not connected. I tried deleting the phone from the system and it warned me the phone was connected and connectivity would be lost if I proceeded. I deleted the phone and set up Bluetooth again. Very odd.
I'm guessing you're using an iPhone, which currently has random connectivity issues on Apple's end, not Subaru's. The trick is to associate a phone with each driver. What happens is if the phone momentarily loses connection and the car sees the other phone, it will ask you if you want to switch profiles. Say no or cancel and it will stay with the current phone once it wakes up. The only time we see this is when my wife is in the car with me, my phone burps, the car asks if I want to switch profiles (to my wife's), I say no, then the car continues with my phone once it comes back. It's become more stable with IOS 14.2, but was more common with IOS 13 so I got used to the drill.

If this is happening when yours is the only phone in the car, then I would suggest to be sure your phone is associated with your profile. It's easy to pair a phone and not associate it with a profile, which then makes these random hiccups more frustrating. If you have an Android and are still seeing these issues it's news to me, as your description more closely resembles what I see with iPhones on their forums. Androids have their own idiosyncrasies. As to which is better, iPhone or Android? I don't know, but I'm glad I have an iphone and full screen CarPlay.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Once the car asks for a PIN it tells me the system is malfunctioning and I do the full reset.

I have an android phone and it used to have that problem maybe once a month pre-504 and after 504 it happened when I did the android 11 update. I did a full infotainment reset, deleted "Subaru" from android auto and bluetooth in the phone, and started again from scratch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am using an Android phone but I'm wondering if the driver recognition is what's causing the fault.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I am using an Android phone but I'm wondering if the driver recognition is what's causing the fault.
If you go into your infotainment system and check, you may find that your phone is listed more than once - that's another tell-tale sign that it's confused.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Did you lose station presets after doing the infotainment reset?
Yes. There are probably less invasive ways of fixing the problem but since I don't use the radio, after a reset I just set one station so that it never defaults to static. If someone can detail the process to reliably fix the problem without a full system reset that would be best.

If you have this problem, try deleting all the phones from the infotainment instead of doing a reset, and see if this fixes it when it next pairs. My problem in trying to fix it before doing a full reset is probably that I didn't try the phone delete first?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haven't seen that but will be more observant going forward. Certainly didn't see that on our trip this week. Does yours consistently do this? Was your 504 a complete install? Many of us had weird things when not all 3 components of the software were updated, but for the most part everyone seems happy when the complete package is running.
No idea if it was a complete install. Had the dealership do it. Wife says it doesn’t happen every single time. I thought it was all the time based on how often she tells me it happened.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well well well.... On my way from home from work tonight I had the same issue crop up again. This time I had the phone plugged in and was using Android Auto. The phone kept disconnecting and connecting. I could only call on my phone. I unplugged the phone and a PIN number request popped up. When selecting the phone in the device menu, it also kept saying “cannot find phone - connection unsuccessful”. I deleted the phone from the infotainment system and reset the head unit. Let’s see if that clears the issue. As a side note - it asked about loading the driver profile when I first started the car. It connected via Bluetooth as the phone’s service and battery level appeared on the display. Things went south when I plugged in my phone.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have not read this entire thread. I have had issues with the screen going blank, and my wife called saying that she has no sound from either the radio or navigation.

What is the current TSB or software version that the dealer should install? She is going to try stopping there on her way home this morning.

3481 - 3500 of 3558 Posts