Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2573 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep. Or the great update for the 2019 that introduced all sorts of bugs, and in the 6 month or so period where there was no fix for the things the update broke, the solution was a new headunit with the older firmware. Eventually a new firmware was released, but it wasn't right away.
Such are the types of things where I'll let somebody else go first...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ughh...making me a little worried. First time Subaru buyer with the 2020 OB so far my wife loves the car. My 2 biggest gripes are the CarPlay (very small) use with the giant screen and the lack of space in front for stuff. However the folks I know who own Subaru’s all seem to love them. Stuff aside I feel better putting my wife and kid in that car everyday knowing it’s a very safe vehicle
Am curious..What "stuff" do you need additional room for in the front seats?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,297 Posts
If not when do we expect one and what do you think will be in it?
Approximately January, as per our recent (this morning) training. There will about 150 some odd updates made. Increasing the size of the fan speed toggles, making Apple Car Play figure out the screen size automatically instead of having to change it on your phone - all sorts of tweaks that they've been listening to feedback on.

The vehicle is designed for FOTA - Firmware Over The Air - updates. So you can hook it up to your home wifi if it'll reach and let it download the updates itself. And not only will it be a running installation update from the factory, it'll be able to update ALL the new Outbacks, back to the first units off the line.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Approximately January, as per our recent (this morning) training. There will about 150 some odd updates made. Increasing the size of the fan speed toggles, making Apple Car Play figure out the screen size automatically instead of having to change it on your phone - all sorts of tweaks that they've been listening to feedback on.

The vehicle is designed for FOTA - Firmware Over The Air - updates. So you can hook it up to your home wifi if it'll reach and let it download the updates itself. And not only will it be a running installation update from the factory, it'll be able to update ALL the new Outbacks, back to the first units off the line.
Do you work for Subaru? In what capacity?

·
Registered
531 Posts

Thanks for this update. This is great news and I can’t wait!

Requarding CarPlay, do you happen know if this will support full screen/auto resizing that iOS13 supports (and requires new code from Apple embedded in the infotainment screen?)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Only been with the brand 22 years so far ...

15 years building them in Indiana, 7 years selling them in Oklahoma.
Are they going to do anything about the stop/start disable "button"?....Right now you have to go through 3 screens to get to the disable switch every time you start the Outback.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are they going to do anything about the stop/start disable "button"?....Right now you have to go through 3 screens to get to the disable switch every time you start the Outback.
A cool feature would be to allow creating shortcuts directly to toggles in the menus. So instead of clicking several times, we'd just have a toggle button right on the main page. I'll bet almost everyone would be happy with that, plus it would be useful for other configs.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,591 Posts
A cool feature would be to allow creating shortcuts directly to toggles in the menus. So instead of clicking several times, we'd just have a toggle button right on the main page. I'll bet almost everyone would be happy with that, plus it would be useful for other configs.
I suggested this to the post delivery guy (the Love Encore program) and he mentioned Subaru is making it much more difficult, or at least as hard as possible to turn auto S/S off. They don't want you to turn it off.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,160 Posts
They don't want you to turn it off.
my shocked look:

:|

I mean, do we know of another car that has implemented it this way? - within the menus of the head unit?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,043 Posts
Yes, that would help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I actually though that’s how they worked until I tried it. I find it fairly useless as implemented currently.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
188 Posts
I would love to see an expansion on the screen of Apple CarPlay. Right now it takes up little real estate, I prefer Apple maps to the stock navigation but there is a huge size difference between the 2
A review I watched on YouTube claimed the screen real estate is dictated by Apple, not Subaru.

·
Registered
531 Posts
A review I watched on YouTube claimed the screen real estate is dictated by Apple, not Subaru.
no longer true with iOS13 AND the latest software they provide to manufactures. links have been posted a few times in the forums and doc/video is availability form the last developers conference (this past summer.) CarPlay now supports “multiple screens”, odd size (including vertical, and resizable windows. To date I am not aware of any manufactures that use these new features. IOS13 only came or 6 weeks or so ago.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I suggested this to the post delivery guy (the Love Encore program) and he mentioned Subaru is making it much more difficult, or at least as hard as possible to turn auto S/S off. They don't want you to turn it off.
I just do not understand why it would be in Subaru's interest to make it more difficult (than other car makers) to disable the stop/start. Why would they put a roadblock to sales if not for some reason they are being forced to?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just do not understand why it would be in Subaru's interest to make it more difficult (than other car makers) to disable the stop/start. Why would they put a roadblock to sales if not for some reason they are being forced to?
This has been discussed before. It most likely has to do with EPA rules for reporting MPG.

Also as far as I know, no manufacture always allows it to be always off but may instead have a physical button to more easily temporary disable.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,043 Posts
This has been discussed before. It most likely has to do with EPA rules for reporting MPG.

Also as far as I know, no manufacture always allows it to be always off but may instead have a physical button to more easily temporary disable.
Yeah, but that was edtx's question: why is Subaru making it more difficult to turn S/S off than other manufacturers to temporarily disable it? Most people would be MUCH happier with a dedicated dash button, or a shortcut on the top meny if the screen.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, but that was edtx's question: why is Subaru making it more difficult to turn S/S off than other manufacturers to temporarily disable it? Most people would be MUCH happier with a dedicated dash button, or a shortcut on the top meny if the screen.
Besides the Ascent and the Outback.....Are there any other current Subaru models that make it as hard to turn off the stop/start?

21 - 40 of 2573 Posts