Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4761 - 4780 of 4828 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback
429 Posts
I sadly think that those of us who know about (and owned) a transistor radio are getting fewer and fewer.

But at least it sounds better than a crystal radio!...
I seem to recall manufacturers boasting about the number of transistors as being a selling point! And I too built electronics projects, including a mini electronic organ with (I think) an FET transistor as an oscillator, and a series of resistors to vary the pitch. You had to wear a little earphone and listen carefully to hear the pitch change.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,455 Posts
I seem to recall manufacturers boasting about the number of transistors as being a selling point! And I too built electronics projects, including a mini electronic organ with (I think) an FET transistor as an oscillator, and a series of resistors to vary the pitch. You had to wear a little earphone and listen carefully to hear the pitch change.
I remember when crystal occilators were expensive and we still used 555 timers for projects.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
375 Posts
I just got a new map update available email from Subaru.
I have a 2020 Touring XT. That navigation stinks. First instance was back in Aug 2020, I was traveling from N to NY. Had not driven that trip in over 40 years. Decides to take I95 through DC instead of the beltway cause I could save some time. Well there was a wreck in DC and since my iphone 6 wasn't charging enough, I could not use WAZE on the trip and was using the Subaru navigation, Took a small detour and then the fun began with this navigation. After an hr later I was near College Park MD and back on the beltway. Was assuming there had to be a better way out of that situation.

Second trip was from Raleigh to Greenville NC this past March. I knew how to go there and was just using the navigation to see how it directed me. The nativation wanted me to take odd turns into two lane roads instead of the quickest way between the two cities: a four lane highway with speed limits of 70 mph. With my iphone12, I use WAZE.

·
Registered
2021, Outback Premium, 2.5L
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring XT. That navigation stinks. First instance was back in Aug 2020, I was traveling from N to NY. Had not driven that trip in over 40 years. Decides to take I95 through DC instead of the beltway cause I could save some time. Well there was a wreck in DC and since my iphone 6 wasn't charging enough, I could not use WAZE on the trip and was using the Subaru navigation, Took a small detour and then the fun began with this navigation. After an hr later I was near College Park MD and back on the beltway. Was assuming there had to be a better way out of that situation.

Second trip was from Raleigh to Greenville NC this past March. I knew how to go there and was just using the navigation to see how it directed me. The nativation wanted me to take odd turns into two lane roads instead of the quickest way between the two cities: a four lane highway with speed limits of 70 mph. With my iphone12, I use WAZE.
Yeah man dont even bother, Apple Car Play now has Waze, Maps, and Google Maps full screen on that display so I would forget about Tom Tom lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Checked map downloader, and the latest one still shows 2020-11-13 (version 41012).
Yup I see the same. I have no idea why they sent me the email today. Very odd. I did notice that the instructions with the [email protected] were via the infotainment screen so perhaps the updates are newer there? Who knows.

(Actually the version I can download is dated 2020-11-12 not 11-23 but it’s same version number. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yup I see the same. I have no idea why they sent me the email today. Very odd. I did notice that the instructions with the [email protected] were via the infotainment screen so perhaps the updates are newer there? Who knows.

(Actually the version I can download is dated 2020-11-12 not 11-23 but it’s same version number. )

Ok. So this is odd. If I try to download maps for specific states it acts as if newer maps are available and lo and behold the maps I had were dated 10/3/20 and the newer ones 11/10/20. But the main screen says I’m running current version:41012

My guess is that the maps are identical but somehow have a different date since they are only a month apart. But who really knows.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
307 Posts
Here's an odd one. For the past few days, after running my car for exactly five minutes, I get a coffee cup display pop on the center screen telling me to take a break. The infotainment system asks me if I want to find a rest stop. Anyone else experience this? I shut off the "reminder" in the settings and will leave it off for the next few days to see if this addresses the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
373 Posts
Here's an odd one. For the past few days, after running my car for exactly five minutes, I get a coffee cup display pop on the center screen telling me to take a break. The infotainment system asks me if I want to find a rest stop. Anyone else experience this? I shut off the "reminder" in the settings and will leave it off for the next few days to see if this addresses the issue.
Is there a setting where you can change the amount of time to alert you? For example, have it alert you after 1 hour, 3 hours, etc...? 5 minutes is very low. Were you in Park for 5 minutes?

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
307 Posts
I can't find a place in the menu that gives you a choice of duration. I assumed it was one hour like my other Subaru. To answer your question, I got in the car and started it. The run time display showed exactly five minutes have passed.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT White
224 Posts
Those files are a year old. Latest will say either 10/2020 or 11/2020 depending if the were downloaded via WiFi or off a USB from the web.

Does Subaru not post version information?
I don’t see it in the update email.

4761 - 4780 of 4828 Posts