Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4781 - 4800 of 4819 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Does Subaru not post version information?
I don’t see it in the update email.
Go to the map download site. I think the email has instructions. Once you have an account you can see what the latest version number is for the complete map set.

Updated: Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal

The version number will also show on the map update screen on the infotainment screen; at least if you install via USB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I chose to download the map update today after receiving the email msg. The instructions allowed for either the USB or WiFi download. I see that it (the instructions) made mention of having the most recent info/media center update denoted by the start/stop icon on the front of the main screen as proof of the update before attempting the WiFi method.

The usual wait time for the download and USB process to complete. The 30 or so minutes of install in the car.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue Pearl, Gray Leather Interior
67 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring XT. That navigation stinks. First instance was back in Aug 2020, I was traveling from N to NY. Had not driven that trip in over 40 years. Decides to take I95 through DC instead of the beltway cause I could save some time. Well there was a wreck in DC and since my iphone 6 wasn't charging enough, I could not use WAZE on the trip and was using the Subaru navigation, Took a small detour and then the fun began with this navigation. After an hr later I was near College Park MD and back on the beltway. Was assuming there had to be a better way out of that situation.

Second trip was from Raleigh to Greenville NC this past March. I knew how to go there and was just using the navigation to see how it directed me. The nativation wanted me to take odd turns into two lane roads instead of the quickest way between the two cities: a four lane highway with speed limits of 70 mph. With my iphone12, I use WAZE.
It's TomTom. Straight garbage for over a decade. I don't even know how they are still in business, much less being used as OEM software offerings.

·
Registered
'20 Outback Onyx XT AGM/'04 Forester XT
345 Posts
I seem to recall that someone posted an SoA or dealer checklist about infotainment issues. It was maybe 2-3 pages long. Was that in this forum? I've been searching for a while but can't find it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,513 Posts
I uploaded the files in this post:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I uploaded the files in this post:

Thanks! It was the last document that I was thinking of. So it that meant for techs? I would need to leave my car at the dealer for two weeks for all of my issues to show up.

I switched back to an Apple cable last week and spent an entire day exploring Brooklyn using Google Maps and had zero issues. Thought my luck had changed and the Apple cable solved my problems, but started having connectivity issues again the very next day. 😔 I'll eventually make a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
426 Posts
I wonder if another software update is on the way soon with the wilderness edition being launched.
If so, plleeeeeaaase eliminate the ridiculous sub-menu for heated seat controls!

Are you listening Subaru? What were you even thinking in the first place?!?

·
Registered
345 Posts
If so, plleeeeeaaase eliminate the ridiculous sub-menu for heated seat controls!

That's probably the second biggest complaint after A/S/S so I'm sure SoA is getting a lot of feedback on that one.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
373 Posts

On the '18 it was an actual physical button. They regressed. I prefer the physical buttons on things like heated seats, heat and a/c, radio, things that you would use while driving. In my previous vehicles, I could watch the road and by the feel and location of the physical buttons/dials, I knew what to turn, press, etc... All without taking my eyes off the road.

Now I have to look at the stupid unit to see what i'm pressing. Many times I have pressed the wrong thing because my finger was just a hair over into the other menu option.

For settings like configuration, I can see a menu for that on the head unit.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
373 Posts
That's probably the second biggest complaint after A/S/S so I'm sure SoA is getting a lot of feedback on that one.
Prior to the 1 button fix they put in, i've wanted to take that head unit outside and destroy it just like they did with the printer in Office Space.

·
Registered
Onyx Green Machine
136 Posts

As a UX/UI designer I can tell you this would not pass a screen review at my work. First, why are you making users go to two different screens via two different clickable elements located in two different physical locations for items that are all related? Second, why would you remove items that have a tactile benefit for users who, do to the nature of the activity your product promotes, requires them to keep their eyes focused on the main activity and any deviation could result in the loss of property, limb, or life of your end user, and others who share the same environment of said user. Yes, Subaru you can reach out to me if you want me on your design team lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if another software update is on the way soon with the wilderness edition being launched.
So Subaru's site says xmode "and the dual-function X-MODE® has new functionality for rugged terrain." So if I paid for the hardware in a Ironman suspension and wheels tires, why cant I have that software version Subaru? I will sign the disclaimer! Further down below it says" The dual-function X-MODE has also been upgraded and retuned, with settings for deep snow, sand and mud that allow additional wheel slip to power through adverse conditions" So is it dual or TRI-mode Subaru? This is what I really want "The drivetrain features retuned gearing with a revised front and rear gear ratio for improved low-speed climbing – up to a 40-percent grade."

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a UX/UI designer I can tell you this would not pass a screen review at my work. First, why are you making users go to two different screens via two different clickable elements located in two different physical locations for items that are all related? Second, why would you remove items that have a tactile benefit for users who, do to the nature of the activity your product promotes, requires them to keep their eyes focused on the main activity and any deviation could result in the loss of property, limb, or life of your end user, and others who share the same environment of said user. Yes, Subaru you can reach out to me if you want me on your design team lol.
When I go through the process of turning the heated seats on and off the car hectors me to "keep my eyes on the road."

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started the car yesterday, pulled out of the garage and started down the road. The media center screen changed and a pop-up message took over the entire screen. The displayed message said something about a very important maintenance (issue or warning) and required I tap on a displayed graphic button. The graphic wheels spun and spun and finally it display a server error and suggested I make sure my cell phone was properly tethered to the car. The message went away and has not shown up since (after several re-starts and drives)
Anyone have an idea what might happen next?
The wife watched all this take place and quietly asked ......... "are you liking this car a little less?"
It seems like every drive yields a different mystery with no rhyme or reason for things to happen.....

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
252 Posts
I am hating the software in mine... it keeps putting up i need an oil change, filter change, tire inspection, state inspection... and chassis inspection. I only have 2600 miles on the car. The mantinance screen wont hold any dates, mileage . Its just blank lines... i guess its related to the car thinking its 2041. Dealer changed the oil at 2k too. One more thing is i keep getting weather alerts on the screen at random now.... I even have them turned off. I keep adding to the complant software list for when it goes to the dealer.

4781 - 4800 of 4819 Posts