Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

4801 - 4819 of 4819 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am hating the software in mine... it keeps putting up i need an oil change, filter change, tire inspection, state inspection... and chassis inspection. I only have 2600 miles on the car. The mantinance screen wont hold any dates, mileage . Its just blank lines... i guess its related to the car thinking its 2041. Dealer changed the oil at 2k too. One more thing is i keep getting weather alerts on the screen at random now.... I even have them turned off. I keep adding to the complant software list for when it goes to the dealer.
I wonder why car companies don't utilize a more consumer known OS for these cars? I'm sure its more complicated than it seems and a software engineer would quickly have an answer for why it isn't done. I have far less difficulty with my Android smartphone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting looking through the Subaru Tech Info, and what's new documentation for 2022MY cars. No specific details but the new vehicles do in fact all have new software for the Gen 4 Starlink systems, so I will be curious to see when more info comes out to that and its changes, as when updates for current ones would come out, wouldn't be shocked to see something as the new cars start getting delivered in June/July. Pretty much every other change was specific wilderness trim Outback stuff, and ECM was changed to "improve OBD diagnostics" in all models.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, I just traded my 2020 Outback 2.5 Touring for a 2021 Honda Passport EX-L AWD yesterday because I'd finally had it up to HERE with the **** infotainment system. Randomly, I could either not mute the radio, or not unmute it, or not adjust volume, or it would think it was getting navigation directions and shift the volume to the rear, or reset itself entirely, or reset the volume for calls or navigation to 0. First and last Subaru. Never again. I just don't understand what they were thinking when they put that system in there. And to be honest, if I'd just gotten a year or two older vehicle that didn't have that piece of crap in it, I'd probably have been perfectly happy.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
373 Posts
I am hating the software in mine... it keeps putting up i need an oil change, filter change, tire inspection, state inspection... and chassis inspection. I only have 2600 miles on the car. The mantinance screen wont hold any dates, mileage . Its just blank lines... i guess its related to the car thinking its 2041. Dealer changed the oil at 2k too. One more thing is i keep getting weather alerts on the screen at random now.... I even have them turned off. I keep adding to the complant software list for when it goes to the dealer.
When I had my '18, I had the weather thing for free for the first 6 months. I turned that on and wow, got 30 weather alerts in a row and I could not use my head unit until I clicked ok or clear (can't remember but I do have a post about it in the Gen 5 section) on all of them to regain control of the head unit. It was horrible. Very bad programming.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
307 Posts
You can easily stop these messages OR reset them to your maintenance needs. Look in Settings > Car > Maintenance
There are options to set the maintenance interval in miles and/or date. If those are all blank then you will get no maintenance warning.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Software making me nutty today. Lots of CarPlay issues. Unplug and reconnect at the Car USB port seems to help. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was an iPhone issue. Rebooted it to see if it helps.

Also can’t seem to find my wifi at home but my phone is connected. Weird.

Would really have liked to see a USB connection for the top console tray, to keep my phone in there. Zero interest in pulling apart the center trim to run a wire.

·
Registered
21 Outback Premium and Forester Premium
27 Posts
A lot of these complaints go across the board, not just Subaru. I traded in an '18 Grand Cherokee when I got my Outback. It had horrible A/S/S, no physical buttons for the heated seats as well as them being in a sub menu, random rebooting of the infotainment system, random times of no sound that would only be fixed if you pulled the fuse, reset the battery, or let the car sit off for 45 minutes, numerous bluetooth issues, and finally when the head unit died, I lost all safety features (Adaptive Cruise, Forward Collision Alert and Breaking, Blind Spot, etc).

Guess I am just saying the grass isn't always greener, and the issues are not unique to our cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A lot of these complaints go across the board, not just Subaru. I traded in an '18 Grand Cherokee when I got my Outback. It had horrible A/S/S, no physical buttons for the heated seats as well as them being in a sub menu, random rebooting of the infotainment system, random times of no sound that would only be fixed if you pulled the fuse, reset the battery, or let the car sit off for 45 minutes, numerous bluetooth issues, and finally when the head unit died, I lost all safety features (Adaptive Cruise, Forward Collision Alert and Breaking, Blind Spot, etc).

Guess I am just saying the grass isn't always greener, and the issues are not unique to our cars.
I think this is really important to keep in mind. Having spent some time in a loaded Honda Civic, I can tell you that all the problems listed here don't seem nearly as bad as what I went through. Stereo system that would blast random sounds intermittently at full volume, lane-centering that would try to kill you, car randomly surging which could only be fixed by pulling the battery once a week, AC compressors that were faulty and needed to be recalled even though the dealer always blamed the damage on the owner, etc.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Software making me nutty today. Lots of CarPlay issues. Unplug and reconnect at the Car USB port seems to help. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was an iPhone issue. Rebooted it to see if it helps.

Also can’t seem to find my wifi at home but my phone is connected. Weird.

Would really have liked to see a USB connection for the top console tray, to keep my phone in there. Zero interest in pulling apart the center trim to run a wire.
Every now and then this happens and often auto reconnects itself. If it persists unplugging the usb and replugging fixes but on rare occasions rebooting the infotainment screen fixes things. It is better than with the pre-full screen CarPlay software where it would not usually auto reconnect.

WiFi at home could be that you are not running home WiFi on 2.4ghz band as the car won’t find 5ghz WiFi. You might want to check that.

I also use the carlinkit device that allows me to just keep phone in my pocket and it fits fine in the slot below the usb plugs. Downside is that it takes a little longer to connect but you never forget you phone being left in the car.

I do agree however usb in the center console should have been done regardless. Perhaps also in the glovebox.

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
374 Posts
When I had my '18, I had the weather thing for free for the first 6 months. I turned that on and wow, got 30 weather alerts in a row and I could not use my head unit until I clicked ok or clear (can't remember but I do have a post about it in the Gen 5 section) on all of them to regain control of the head unit. It was horrible. Very bad programming.
Those weather alerts occur in my 2020 XT Touring too.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I had a 19 Forester to go with my 20 Outback XT...both LTD trim...never had an issue with my Forester entertainment unit. Well, I did with my Pixel but not everyone else's iPhone...I gave up on Android after nearly 10 years, and have had no issues since.

Got a 21 Forester Sport too...no issues there with anything so far.

It's not Subaru...it's this particular Outback generation.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
717 Posts
agreed, I have had no issues with my 19 Outback LTD but glitches with the 20 Outback XT. Mine is a lease so if it works 99% of the time I ll not worry about it.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
252 Posts
You can easily stop these messages OR reset them to your maintenance needs. Look in Settings > Car > Maintenance
There are options to set the maintenance interval in miles and/or date. If those are all blank then you will get no maintenance warning.
Mine are blank and the reset on the left side does not seam to respond when touched.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thats how the 2021 is they pop up at random.. Then i have to close them. Crazy thing in the nearest place i get the weather for is 2 hours away. I have them truned off as far as i can tell they are toggled gray not blue on the sliders.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Just reluctantly had the latest software update to the "20 Outback. Everything had been working fine, but I hated to have that update missing because it is a recall. Everything works fine again except my phone now sounds like squawking aliens in an udecipherable language. This affects both incoming and outgoing calls, which appear to actually connect before the screeches begin. Yes, I did re-pair the phone. No help. If anyone has a fix, I would be glad to hear it. Otherwise, the dealer wants my car Friday. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just reluctantly had the latest software update to the "20 Outback. Everything had been working fine, but I hated to have that update missing because it is a recall. Everything works fine again except my phone now sounds like squawking aliens in an udecipherable language. This affects both incoming and outgoing calls, which appear to actually connect before the screeches begin. Yes, I did re-pair the phone. No help. If anyone has a fix, I would be glad to hear it. Otherwise, the dealer wants my car Friday. Thanks
Did you try just pulling the battery for a bit and letting everything reset?

·
Registered
252 Posts
You need to activate the messages in the reminder menu first. Then you can change them in the car maintenance section. The main "Settings", under "General". View attachment 510844
They are on.. and hiting restet on the mantinance screen does nothing its just grayed lines. Called the dealer they said it sould reset the mileage countdown. But in my case nothing happens.. so its going in next month when i have time to drive 2 hours and drop it off. 3k on the car and the software is a pain.

4801 - 4819 of 4819 Posts