Subaru Outback Forums banner
5421 - 5440 of 7364 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Limited, 2.5L
103 Posts
Yep, had the discussion about ‘ customer conflict handling’. Was a Program Manager for major defense contractor for years. Customers first, even when you think they’re wrong. LOL
Lol. I'm a Contracting Officer for good old Uncle Sam, so I can certainly appreciate this.

Reactions: Caver69

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Updating the Infotainment device is not something I'd want to experiment with, but to each his own. Who knows, maybe they are just kidding.

An empty, USB 2.0 or 3.0 storage device (flash drive) will be needed to perform the update procedure. The device should be dedicated to storing and transferring these updating files only. It must be a minimum of 16GB or more in size and contain a NTFS file format before downloading the update files onto it. Be sure to locate and re-format any existing USB drives used for updating audio units. They must be fully cleared before adding these new update files to them.
IMPORTANT NOTES:

• NEVER change the update file names after downloading them.
  • NEVER save any other files on the same flash drive.
    There are various types of USB flash drive available from many suppliers. If the head unit does NOT recognize the USB drive during the reprogramming process due to Controller IC type of USB drive or Compatibility with the head unit, confirm the flash drive format is NTFS. The flash drive must be formatted for NTFS. If a recognition problem persists, use a USB flash drive from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
690 Posts
Updating the Infotainment device is not something I'd want to experiment with, but to each his own. Who knows, maybe they are just kidding.

An empty, USB 2.0 or 3.0 storage device (flash drive) will be needed to perform the update procedure. The device should be dedicated to storing and transferring these updating files only. It must be a minimum of 16GB or more in size and contain a NTFS file format before downloading the update files onto it. Be sure to locate and re-format any existing USB drives used for updating audio units. They must be fully cleared before adding these new update files to them.
IMPORTANT NOTES:

There are various types of USB flash drive available from many suppliers. If the head unit does NOT recognize the USB drive during the reprogramming process due to Controller IC type of USB drive or Compatibility with the head unit, confirm the flash drive format is NTFS. The flash drive must be formatted for NTFS. If a recognition problem persists, use a USB flash drive from another manufacturer.
Past updates have had the same or similar language about NTFS but Mac's have worked, too. But as you say, it's a risk.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Touring RIP 20 Limited XT
1,301 Posts

IMPORTANT NOTES:

I feel like half this forum with 2020s installed the last update on their own despite the same wording and a quarter of those (myself included) used a Mac formatted usb stick with a higher success rate than the dealers :LOL:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Note that I’m advocating anything but our devices support Mac OS extended file system which is easily tested by inserting a USB drive full of music. If the USB is device is formatted as something not recognized nothing happens. No harm is done.

The directions you quoted are correct and simple and intended for dealers which apparently are required to have PCs and don’t even have the option to create a Mac formatted disc. So if they have a random USB drive in front of them that’s exactly what they should do. Also it is likely (I’m not sure) older Subaru models may not support Mac OS Extended so this just keeps things simple with less likelihood of the dealer making an error.

If OTA is really working that is the method most of us should use, and is what is recommended.

I’ll also note the the map updating software actually automatically reformats the USB to MacOS Extended and writes the files which you normally can’t do on a Mac without 3rd party software (Mac can read but not write NTFS.) If these updates were intended to be user installed I’d imagine they would have used similar software to create the drive.

For what it’s worth I believe I did the last update on a Mac OS Extended volume. But don’t see any critical feature with this update that I need ASAP so I’ll either wait for OTA or wait until my next service from the dealer for this one.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Note that I’m advocating anything but our devices support Mac OS extended file system which is easily tested by inserting a USB drive full of music. If the USB is device is formatted as something not recognized nothing happens. No harm is done.

The directions you quoted are correct and simple and intended for dealers which apparently are required to have PCs and don’t even have the option to create a Mac formatted disc. So if they have a random USB drive in front of them that’s exactly what they should do. Also it is likely (I’m not sure) older Subaru models may not support Mac OS Extended so this just keeps things simple with less likelihood of the dealer making an error.

If OTA is really working that is the method most of us should use, and is what is recommended.

I’ll also note the the map updating software actually automatically reformats the USB to NTFS and writes the files which you normally can’t do on a Mac without 3rd party software (Mac can read but not write NTFS.) If these updates were intended to be user installed I’d imagine they would have used similar software to create the drive.

For what it’s worth I believe I did the last update on a Mac OS Extended volume. But don’t see any critical feature with this update that I need ASAP so I’ll either wait for OTA or wait until my next service from the dealer for this one.
Thanks for the background. I understand why Subaru would want to keep it simple for the techs.

Any idea why OTA is recommended? I'd think USB would be faster, albeit a few more steps to prepare the USB drive.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I’ll also note the the map updating software actually automatically reformats the USB to NTFS and writes the files which you normally can’t do on a Mac without 3rd party software (Mac can read but not write NTFS.) If these updates were intended to be user installed I’d imagine they would have used similar software to create the drive.

Sorry folks, FOTA is until further notice suspended.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks for the background. I understand why Subaru would want to keep it simple for the techs.

Any idea why OTA is recommended? I'd think USB would be faster, albeit a few more steps to prepare the USB drive.
Well if OTA is supported it is the only “official” way for customers to directly get the software so that’s why it would be recommended. Otherwise only dealers are suppose to update the software.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Does the directory and subdirectories on the USB drive need to match what is in the instructions even though each of us only needs one set of files?

\Denso CPI Audio-Navi Update Files\2020
\2021\High
\Mid
\Base
\2022
\2022 Wilderness

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Does the directory and subdirectories on the USB drive need to match what is in the instructions even though each of us only needs one set of files?

\2021\High
\Mid
\Base
\2022
\2022 Wilderness
Follow the instructions exactly. You need to use the set of files for YOUR car.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OK USB is ready to go. I'll update my 2020 touring xt now. Will report back. My disk is formatted as macOS extended (I reused the map update drive I had around.) The updates usually take awhile so it will be some time until I report back.

So far so good.

Update: continues to look ok, progress bar is 1/2 way now.

… now 75%

….90%

….99%

Of course this last percent is taking a long time…..

Done.

I’ll make another list with the results after I restart the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I did not phrase my question very clearly.

The directory structure needs to be replicated but only one subdirectory, the one which applies to our model, needs to contain files, correct?
Correct. Only four files that are listed in the instructions should be on your disk. No more no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,097 Posts

\2021\High
\Mid
\Base
\2022
\2022 Wilderness
The directories are usually extracted to a computer, and then whichever sub directory corresponds to your model, you copy just those files in the sub directory to the root of the blank USB drive.

5421 - 5440 of 7364 Posts