Subaru Outback Forums banner
5441 - 5460 of 7830 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,568 Posts
(Edit - because of reports that the download limit was reached I have put the files on MEGA 2020 Outback Software GIGATHREAD )

I downloaded the files and am about to do the update - sharing some thoughts about what might make the process more reliable.
  • Do the update on a running car, not a charger, because chargers can switch modes mid-stream (mine did previously) and cause a voltage fluctuation.
  • Have your parking lights on during the install, because this will give the car consistent full voltage for the duration of the installation and prevent voltage sag to 11.9 volts.
  • (anecdotal) The right USB port might be faster than the left port.
That's my plan anyways.

Also as others have said, it's important to follow instructions completely - I printed out page 15 for reference because at the very end, there is a sequence that should be followed:

4g) Once the update begins, the screen below will be displayed with a progress bar. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes for the update to complete. (mine took over an hour but it completed sucessfully)

VERY IMPORTANT: NEVER turn off the ignition while the software update is in process.

4i) Select OK in the screen above
then remove the H/U reprogramming USB from the USB port.

4j) Turn the Ignition OFF,
open the driver’s door then close the driver’s door.

4k) Wait for 3 minutes
then turn the ignition ON.

4l) Access Dealership Mode following steps provided item 4b and using the tables below, confirm the software update completed successfully.

4m) Turn the ignition OFF

open the driver’s door then close the driver’s door to complete the procedure.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Correct. Only four files that are listed in the instructions should be on your disk. No more no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you mind posting a directory listing of your USB drive?

I am still not clear whether the USB drive should contain just the four file which apply to my 2021 Onyx XT or the four files placed in the proper directory structure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Since I don't see any obvious UI changes I can't really show other stuff, sorry pals. But it was successful and for Mac users the Mac OS X Extended file system works.

The total install time was in the range of 20 min with my drive (your speed will very depending upon your drive) with the last 1 percent taking maybe 3-5 min.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Would you mind posting a directory listing of your USB drive?

I am still not clear whether the USB drive should contain just the four file which apply to my 2021 Onyx XT or the four files placed in the proper directory structure. Thanks.
These are the 4 files from the doc and these should be the ONLY 4 files on the drive. The dates are the same as the photo for me but sizes are slightly different (likely do to the file system difference?)

Note I actually did not use a cleanly formatted disk. I reused my map updater disk and threw all the files that were on it in the trash but did not even rename the drive. Drive name does not matter.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
808 Posts
Updated: 2002 High. Install took
11 mins for the update
3 minutes waiting as direct
Total time 14 minutes.

Same old sluggish performance but fingers crossed it is more reliable.

Flash Drive Used
NTFS as directed
Inserted into left most usb port
It works on a 2002 Outback? No wonder it is sluggish!
o_O

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,568 Posts
2020 Onyx XT - all of my updates have taken extra time and this is no different. It's been close to an hour and the bar is only half way. The last update, which I did myself, took similarly extra long but with no problems after completion, so for those of you like myself who are having the update take a looong time be patient. Don't panic, don't interrupt the process.

My update took more than an hour but it completed successfully.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
contains the following fixes and improvements:
I've experienced 4 of the 28 defects. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to trigger them to confirm they've been fixed.
  1. Momentary Black Display; The CID (Center Information Display) and in rare case together with the LCD in the combination meters go blank (black) momentarily. This condition might be followed by CP1 reboot. NOTE: Rear View Camera function is not impacted by this condition.
  2. Blank display when connecting CP1 to Wi-Fi network with long name (over 32 characters).
  3. While using Apple CarPlay, “SUBARU” is displayed on the iPhone Setting menu instead of vehicle name <LEGACY/OUTBACK>.
  4. Vehicle Setting Icon in <Home> menu is grayed out. Menu list in the “Car” tab in the Setting Menu is not displayed.
  5. CarPlay stopped working after hanging up a hands-free phone call.
  6. CID shows multiple images simultaneously.
  7. CID freezes/locks after startup. NOTE: Rear View Camera function is not impacted by this condition.
  8. Move (push ▲▼ repeatedly) and Select in Map list, then freeze and restart itself.
  9. The CID (Center Information Display) freezes/locks during Wi-Fi configuration
  10. Map freezes while Navigation guidance is being provided.
  11. Navigation operation restarts while driving.
  12. Reboot in Factory diag. mode, when removing USB drive or changing to other USB drive.
  13. CP1 system and combination meter reboot again following a forced reboot, when smart phone connected via USB port.
  14. CP1 system reboots following ignition OFF and ON
  15. Switching to Navigation demo mode after CP1 reboots during Bluetooth pairing
  16. CP1 system reboots, while selecting or using Map feature to configure the driving route
  17. Android Auto does not function. “Android Auto is Disconnected” is displayed with Launch Error message.
  18. CarPlay does not function with USB connection.
  19. Sound is muted after hanging up a hands-free phone call.
  20. Ring tones and the voice from the other end on the hands-free phone call cannot be heard
  21. No sound in SXM, following low or dead battery.
  22. Navigation guidance directions are not spoken.
  23. When iPhone phone book transfer fails, system repeats Bluetooth disconnection and connection.
  24. <Media> button does not function in <Home> menu.
  25. Vehicle location is not displayed correctly in Navigation screen.
  26. Radio station moves unexpectedly due to momentary flick or brush of the touch screen.
  27. Temperature setting cannot be controlled by Voice Recognition in Canadian (C*) specification.
  28. Preset outline is not shown following station selection using steering switch
  29. Others: Improvement in button design & location and Icon display, etc.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
2020 Onyx XT - all of my updates have taken extra time and this is no different. It's been close to an hour and the bar is only half way. The last update, which I did myself, took similarly extra long but with no problems after completion, so for those of you like myself who are having the update take a looong time be patient. Don't panic, don't interrupt the process.

My update took more than an hour but it completed successfully.
You may want to get a newer faster USB drive. That is the most likely explanation for the speed differences in our model year.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,568 Posts
5441 - 5460 of 7830 Posts