Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1123 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, but that was edtx's question: why is Subaru making it more difficult to turn S/S off than other manufacturers to temporarily disable it? Most people would be MUCH happier with a dedicated dash button, or a shortcut on the top meny if the screen.
They don't have to make it hard to turn off. As I understand it the primary difference for receiving credit is whether it is latching (preserves state across start ups) or nonlatching (needs to be enabled every time the car is started). It's based on the assumed typical mode for how the vehicle will operate. So with a button that carries over across starts, the assumption is that more drivers will simply turn it off. Beyond that as far as I can tell, they get no "extra credit" for making a nonlatching system more inconvenient to turn off.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
1,888 Posts
They don't have to make it hard to turn off. As I understand it the primary difference for receiving credit is whether it is latching (preserves state across start ups) or nonlatching (needs to be enabled every time the car is started). It's based on the assumed typical mode for how the vehicle will operate. So with a button that carries over across starts, the assumption is that more drivers will simply turn it off. Beyond that as far as I can tell, they get no "extra credit" for making a nonlatching system more inconvenient to turn off.
That's my understanding as well, making it a not so smart move by Subaru if you ask me.
I haven't bought yet (no hurry), and I am starting to look at alternatives .....

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's my understanding as well, making it a not so smart move by Subaru if you ask me.
I haven't bought yet (no hurry), and I am starting to look at alternatives .....
Actually looking at it further it's a little more nuanced. Posted more detail re the regs in another thread but the determining factor appears to be that it's the "predominant operating mode for that vehicle."

(4)(iii) Engine idle start-stop means a technology which enables a vehicle to automatically turn off the engine when the vehicle comes to a rest and restarts the engine when the driver applies pressure to the accelerator or releases the brake. Off-cycle engine start-stop credits will only be allowed for a vehicle if the Administrator has made a determination under the testing and calculation provisions in 40 CFR Part 600 that engine start-stop is the predominant operating mode for that vehicle.
So I suppose to the extent that making it harder to deactivate better argues that the vehicle will be "predominantly operating" in that mode it is to their advantage. As it now stands I think that clearly any reasonable determination would be in their favor (i.e., it's a pain in the ass to turn off all the time). The question then becomes to what extent they could walk that back and still maintain that "predominant operating mode" determination. Based on others that have easier deactivation (e.g., a non-latching button) and still appear to receive the credit, I'd think quite a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Software update suggestions:
(1) For the love of God, fix the EQ so it doesn't randomly reset about 1/3 of the time between starts.
(2) Change the number of presets from 18 to 36. Toyota has had 36 for years. You want to be at least as good as Toyota, right? This is a very minor coding change. If we can't get more presets, AT LEAST let us scroll to the right from presets 13-18 to get to 1-6 and let us scroll to the left from presets 1-6 to get to 13-18.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
265 Posts
Hi guys! We just bought a 2020 Outback with CarPlay, and got the CarPlay mainly for gps navigation, and we’re very disappointed. Main gripe is the screen size, but also contrast and readability. Will any of the future updates being discussed here fix these issues? (using iPhone X on 13.2) If not, can the Factory Navigation head unit be bought and installed by a dealer in lieu of an update addressing the issue? I know it will cost, but it may be worth it to us, if it can be done.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hi guys! We just bought a 2020 Outback with CarPlay, and got the CarPlay mainly for gps navigation, and we’re very disappointed. Main gripe is the screen size, but also contrast and readability. Will any of the future updates being discussed here fix these issues? (using iPhone X on 13.2) If not, can the Factory Navigation head unit be bought and installed by a dealer in lieu of an update addressing the issue? I know it will cost, but it may be worth it to us, if it can be done.
The TomTom Nav unit isn't that great either. Another solution is to just get a standalone GPS and mount it in the car.

·
Registered
2020 XT Limited
57 Posts
Ugh. That Tom Tom has done some silly shite on my end. Taking me on and off known interstate exits for no reason and missing old, known roads. I’m updated as it gets and it’s quirky as heck

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
I don't know why Garmin doesn't team up with auto manufacturers. I trust Garmin much much more than TomTom. I've had two Garmin GPS devices (Drive 50 and Drive 61 LMT) and both were bulletproof. I completely depended on them through thousands of miles of places with no cell coverage and they never gave me trouble and have some really useful features for road trips that even Google maps lacks.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,099 Posts
I don't know why Garmin doesn't team up with auto manufacturers. I trust Garmin much much more than TomTom. I've had two Garmin GPS devices (Drive 50 and Drive 61 LMT) and both were bulletproof. I completely depended on them through thousands of miles of places with no cell coverage and they never gave me trouble and have some really useful features for road trips that even Google maps lacks.
fully agree with this, also from experience!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
709 Posts
The only thing I want Google maps to add is something IGO had over 6 years ago, a feature to skip the next x miles of a route easily which was really useful for closed road sections it didn't know about which is something I've seen persist for more than a month on Google Maps.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
fully agree with this, also from experience!
Love the 'Up ahead' and the breadcrumb features on the Garmins, such a simple but useful feature. Also the UI is MILES better. After using the devices, it is readily apparent that someone actually used them for their intended purpose and made the UI with that in mind.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,099 Posts
Love the 'Up ahead' and the breadcrumb features on the Garmins, such a simple but useful feature. Also the UI is MILES better. After using the devices, it is readily apparent that someone actually used them for their intended purpose and made the UI with that in mind.
I think being spoiled with them all these years (Ive had 3 over many years, one I still use) is why I cant even tolerate the factory navs - they just aren't even close.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
I think being spoiled with them all these years (Ive had 3 over many years, one I still use) is why I cant even tolerate the factory navs - they just aren't even close.
This was my road trip setup in my Impreza at the Grand Teron NP. I liked the GPS setup so much (easily reachable from my driver seat position) I left it there permanently:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Used Garmins for years and years with little to no issues.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
This was my road trip setup in my Impreza at the Grand Teron NP. I liked the GPS setup so much (easily reachable from my driver seat position) I left it there permanently:

View attachment 474332
You’ve enough electronics at hand there, may need to take flight lessons! Very cool pics BTW?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
You’ve enough electronics at hand there, may need to take flight lessons! Very cool pics BTW?
Thank you!

Now you see why I like the new big screen?! I went from 4 to 5 screens to 1 or 2 :)

Seriously though, the only really extra screen is the spare phone showing my engine stats in the middle there. I had a blown head gasket and my car did not have a temperature gauge. I did not want to overheat in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: Rori

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
401 Posts
Garmin has started to pursue the Automotive OEM market because the standalone GPS market has been dwindling. See this page for some of the OEM models.

They have also signed BMW (China market only) and some Citroen models. I think we'll be seeing more of Garmin as a Tier 1 automotive supplier in the future.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,341 Posts
@chvvkumar - the pics are pretty fantastic. hobby or profession?

w.r.t. engine parameters, you'd think (a) Subaru would allow someone to place up on their display a set of parameters of their choosing and allow that custom display to be something the customer can save and call up again later, and (b) Subaru would enhance the voice recognition so that the driver could verbally ask for the value of a number of parameters (oil temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, battery voltage, etc), and (c) like the 2020 and other manufacturers, they would fix the voice recognition so a person can direct vocal commands to the head-unit for it to process the request, or to Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

please Subaru, step up your programming game.

41 - 60 of 1123 Posts