Subaru Outback Forums banner
6341 - 6360 of 7364 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
looks like they'll update it soon and add a comma... then fix some of the typos....

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Terrestrial plant

It's interesting that an entire section was created which basically has the reader perform a memory initialization prior to performing the update - that's where the update to the gracenote database hangs - if it goes longer than 20 minutes or so. Then to reapply the update.

The other really interesting thing is that there are two sections in the appedix for the problem with the black screen. One is a bunch of situations where it's a communication error. The OTHER set of situations are where a prior update via USB was not completed correctly, and the solution is to reapply the current update.

This is a good reminder that if you are doing any of this stuff yourself to follow the instructions completely. Especially any part where it says to verify a software version, open and shut a door and waiting 3 minutes, whatever.

ok, back to the discussion, I have to figure out how best to format the fixes the update provides.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Downloading firmware updates now... will share once I have them.
were you able to do that with another browser other than internet explorer? Just curious - here is the techinfo guidance on the site:

What are the system recommendations for using this site?

We strongly suggest using Internet Explorer for your browser when accessing this site. A screen size of at least 1024x768 is recommended, although not required. You will need a PDF viewer (one from Adobe can be downloaded without charge from www.adobe.com) to view documents.

Javascript and cookies (temporary) are required to use the site.

Note: the Service Diagnostics section is primarily designed for Internet Explorer. Using a different browser in that section may result in reduced functionality.

I am not able to login to the system. It is giving me error messages.

There are a number of scenarios that could lead to this situation. If you receive the error message, "Invalid username or password", it could mean various things.

Issues that may lead to this message are: 1) simple typo in the username or password field, 2) you are typing with CAPS-lock on (passwords are case sensitive), 3) you typed in an incorrect password, 4) you typed in an incorrect username, 5) the problem may be specific to your computer or browser, or 6) Your password might have expired (Note: User should use the forgot password link to reset their password in this scenario).

Make sure that you are only accessing the web site using Internet Explorer – other browsers have not been tested with the site functions and may cause log-in or information retrieval issues.

If you receive an error message from the site, try to clear your browsers history and temporary internet files. For information on this operation, please research the steps needed under the “Help” command of your particular browser.

·
Registered
213 Posts
were you able to do that with another browser other than internet explorer? Just curious - here is the techinfo guidance on the site:
I did it on Firefox. What I needed was a direct link to a portion of the site, which @Frank828 sent to me. When I try to just access the SubaruNet site, or if I try to use the link in the PDF, I get thrown into a login redirect loop that never ends.

I tried it on a few browsers and had no success until I had a direct link. Once I had a direct link, I could log in and see the site just fine.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
for those that are too lazy to read the TSB, here are the fixes ... I updated the post with the firmware history. I'll add links to firmware once you guys figure that part out.

Conditions Addressed by Update #5:
Version RC 2111
Software Version ID F11G*M112-680 (2020 MY)
Software Version ID F31G*M111-280 (2021 MY)
Software Version ID FB1S*M110-980 (2022 MY)
Software Version ID F51X*M111-180 (2022 MY Wilderness)
01/28/2022

1. Intermittent loss of Bluetooth connection
  2. “Software update setup is initializing ...” message displayed for an extended period of time (over 30minutes), after a follow-up attempt for CP1 software update via USB port is performed to recover a failure (In case this USB update failure occurs, retry updating according to the instructions in “Appendix C” in the TSB)
  3. Pop-up message ”Please go to your retailer to update the Gracenote Database” appears every time CP1 system is rebooted due to interruption of CP1 software update via USB port, ACC OFF or BATT power remove etc. (In case this USB update failure occurs, retry updating according to the instructions in“Appendix C ” in the TSB)
  4. No image on CID (Center Information Display) or Black display condition followed by CP1 reboot resulting from CCU (Cockpit Control Unit) internal communication error or due to listed below actions:
    • CP1 forced reboot is performed by pressing the “Vol” button continuously or by performing factory reset operation
    • Loss of Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection
    • Application crash during Bluetooth audio streaming
    • Launching CarPlay or Android Auto application, after the smart phone is connected
    • Removing USB connection between the iPhone’s and CP1 during active CarPlay session
    • STARLINK application crash
    • Performing USB map update using Bluetooth connection with a smart phone carrying STARLINK Companion App map update data
    • When ACC is turned OFF and ON, while STARLINK Companion App map update is being performed
    • Navigation application crash
    • “Service Appointment Scheduler” application crash due to a communication error between DCM and CCM
    • Re-inserting USB Flash drive within 2-3 seconds
    • Removing USB Flash drive while playing back the data from the USB Flash drive
    • CID display loses images (black screen) and reboots itself after ACC (or Ignition) is turned OFF and ON.
  5. No image on CID (Center Information Display) or Black display condition and HVAC function becomes inoperative due to listed below actions:
    • Failure to complete CP1 software update via USB port (In case this USB update failure occurs, retry updating according to the instructions in “Appendix B ” in the TSB)
    • After the failure, Ignition Switch is turned off and on then an initializing process is started with “Software update setup is initialing……” message on the display, which requires about 15minutes to complete. During this message is displayed, power supply of CCM is cut off like disconnecting battery terminals.
    • Performing CP1 software update via USB port using the same software version

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I did it on Firefox. What I needed was a direct link to a portion of the site, which @Frank828 sent to me. When I try to just access the SubaruNet site, or if I try to use the link in the PDF, I get thrown into a login redirect loop that never ends.

I tried it on a few browsers and had no success until I had a direct link. Once I had a direct link, I could log in and see the site just fine.
anybody want to post that, or message me? I was going to update my firmware history post with a note about the current link redirecting into an endless login loop (eventually subaru will fix that if enough people that use the service complain, but only if they provide feedback).

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport-Tech, 2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
503 Posts
Can I assume the installation process is the same?

·
Registered
213 Posts
anybody want to post that, or message me? I was going to update my firmware history post with a note about the current link redirecting into an endless login loop (eventually subaru will fix that if enough people that use the service complain, but only if they provide feedback).

For some reason I just needed that direct content link, otherwise I went into the loop. Once I got that direct link, it was easy to browse around the rest of the site.

Can I assume the installation process is the same?
Yes, but the updated TSB goes over the process again. You can look at it in my post above.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
thanks!

There were some changes to links on the Subaru side - there used to be some sections there that were publicly visible, and all those now redirect to the SSO page. The SSO page looks updated around that time as well. I'm not sure what all they did internally as far as the single sign on upgrades and changes to some of the permissions on some areas. Things changed, links broke (or were changed/removed intentionally). Dunno.

For the install - most of the steps are unchanged... the TSB also adds this in there as a step, it's new:

"Best practice is to prevent USB software update conflicts with FOTA software update. Please
confirm “Automatically Check for Update” setting is turned off following the steps below, prior
to starting the software update via USB."

Then an appendix set of steps on specific things to do if you need to perform a reinstallation of the firmware. That's a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
1. Went to subarunet.com (Safari and Chrome on OSX) and Edge (Windows11)
2. It redirects to partners.subaru.com
3. Entered the userid and password I defined at the techinfo.subaru.com site and it went into the SSO loop. The URLs change between the following two. I happen to know OAM (see below) stands for Oracle Access Manager, idp = Identity Provider, SAML is the protocol.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
819 Posts
"Best practice is to prevent USB software update conflicts with FOTA software update. Please
confirm “Automatically Check for Update” setting is turned off following the steps below, prior
to starting the software update via USB."
It looks like this update enables FirmwareOverTheAir updates. Did I read that right?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,819 Posts
It looks like this update enables FirmwareOverTheAir updates. Did I read that right?
No. Even though it's been unavailable since Dec. 2020 the option is still in the firmware and can be enabled. Subaru just disabled it on the server side so the car never sees an update available.

I'd be curious to see if this was JUST fixes or if there were other changes made. Yes, I read through the TSB but I only see fixes noted.

6341 - 6360 of 7364 Posts