Subaru Outback Forums banner

681 - 700 of 4235 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Defender
343 Posts
After my vehicle was upgraded to 504, the curious part is my equalizer presets reset themselves to zero across the board. Since February, my equalizer never reset. The sound quality has improved. Going to check if they remained 5/3/0 when I head back out in a few. My maps are on 17080, but only used the built-in nav once when didn't have cell signal. Have to figure out how to get that updated. Overall, the improvements in 504 are where the platform should have been at launch. I have zero doubt in my mind that this forum has helped provide feedback to SoA in shaping 504 along with continuing to improve their product. Now only if they can bring back the 2019 Touring roof rails.

@russellpat - I still would wait for MY2021. The 504 didn't improve the backup or front camera quality. MY20 doesn't have 360 camera. Can list quite a few gaps that hoping they address.

@walker - Hoping that in addition to the 2019 Touring roof rails, the change to the infotainment would be addressing the touchscreen material / mechanism itself. This is doable while still retaining the footprint of the infotainment in the dash along with keeping the internals. One of my frustrations with the system is it reminds me of low grade Android phones are with resistive touchscreens. However, there have been times i move my finger to touch something and without actually touching the screen it will recognize the input. This is a characteristic of capacity. Either way, the Volvo Senus system is IR based and much superior with a clearer screen material.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
88 Posts
In 503 you can access google assistant with a long press of the talk button when the phone is connect via bluetooth. When my phone is connected via USB using AA then a single press of the talk button accesses google assistant.
Long press to access Google assistant and short press for the vehicle voice command. This was always the case regardless of software update.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
122 Posts
Long press to access Google assistant and short press for the vehicle voice command. This was always the case regardless of software update.
Yes, even my 2017 worked like that.

p.s. I have a service appointment at my Walnut Creek dealer tomorrow. Hoping they can install the 504 update.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,157 Posts
So a lot of people have reached out asking if I could share the update. So far I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Here is the file. I re-hosted this on my personal Google Drive.

THIS UPDATE FILES ARE ONLY FOR HEAD UNITS WITH 11.2" SCREEN. DO NOT RUN THIS ON BASE MODEL HEAD UNITS

Read through the PDF in the link completely before you attempt the upgrade.

If you do go ahead and try this, please keep in mind that you are doing this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any issues that may rise out of this.

Google Drive Link for both High and Mid files:

Credit to @DanielAcosta for the mid files!

Checksums:
Code:
Name: CP1High.zip
Size: 6357469885 bytes (6062 MiB)
MD5: 648b6de81f377e2b1f56d60c2ae5f0a2
SHA256: 83A106BF98D4F42AC620F262D19E9B9F51A71D2FF9F4644E95EB0F9360877FF9
Code:
Name: Mid.zip
Size: 2030462014 bytes (1936 MiB)
MD5: 36f17905ed481fc4232b8d8a8cdb8330
SHA256: 3C2429702383713A95A490ABE740C3F6A690E75A29D5F18681F1B2EE9F6CCA97
To verify file integrity on Windows, open up PowerShell and run the command (run this command from where the zip file is located):

Detailed steps to verify file integrity:
Mac:
Open up a terminal window and type in the following command (go to the directory of the file first):

Code:
md5 CP1High.zip
or
Code:
md5 Mid.zip
Windows:
1. Go to where the file is downloaded
2. Hold 'SHIFT' key and right click on the white space (not on the file)
3. You will see an 'Open PowerShell window here' menu item like so:

4. In the window, enter the following command:
Code:
Get-FileHash -Algorithm SHA256 CP1High.zip
5. It will take a bit for the hast to be generated. Once done, match the resulting hash to the hash in this post. If they match, the ZIP file is the same as the one I uploaded:

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Looking forward to your results. I suspect mine failed because the first day the dealer did one file, then the next day the other two files. Another post said if you don’t do all 3 together you get an error that can only be corrected by replacing the whole head unit, which is what I am waiting on now.
one thing I appreciate about subaru's TSB revisions - the current document will highlight in yellow all the changes... if I've read one before, I'll scan through just for the yellow highlighted stuff (would be nice to be able to toggle that on/off, but then it's less idiot proof).

example of an important change:

also, I could see a corrupt file on a USB drive potentially causing problems during an install as well (might end up with the same result as not having one of the required files on there)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
951 Posts
I will probably be due for an oil change in a month and a half, and so I intend to wait until then for the 504 update.

But one question I have is: If the OTA update (704) shows up before I go in to the dealer, is there any issue with doing the OTA update first, and then wanting the dealer to do 504 afterwards? (Since it still seems like there are parts of the 504 update that aren't in, or won't be in, the 704 OTA update?

Frankly, I wish that the 504 update was available for user download, like a map update, and that it didn't require going into "dealer mode" to install it.....

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I will probably be due for an oil change in a month and a half, and so I intend to wait until then for the 504 update.

But one question I have is: If the OTA update (704) shows up before I go in to the dealer, is there any issue with doing the OTA update first, and then wanting the dealer to do 504 afterwards? (Since it still seems like there are parts of the 504 update that aren't in, or won't be in, the 704 OTA update?

Frankly, I wish that the 504 update was available for user download, like a map update, and that it didn't require going into "dealer mode" to install it.....
Depends. If it's 020-704 or 021-704, then yes. The owner manual supplement footnotes imply that there might be a 022-70 (they used "Software version after updated: F11G*M02*-704" in the manual supplement). The features seem to match the current 022-504 feature set. Where it gets confusing is 022-704 isn't referenced in the TSB anywhere. From the TSB:

"The examples below identify the head unit model and the last 6 digits signify the software version​
number. Examples:​
• F11GHMxxx-xxx (High model software)​
• F11GMMxxx-xxx (Mid model software)​
• F11GBMxxx-xxx (Base model software)​
If the software version number is 020-501, 020-502, 020-704, 021-503 or 021-704, proceed to​
STEP 2 below. If the software version is 022-504 or higher, STOP as the unit already has the latest​
software version installed. "​
note: nothing referencing 020-704 or 021-704 appear anywhere in the earlier revision of the TSB either. The current TSB seems to indicate those revisions exist. No direct reference to a matching 022-704 for the current 022-504.​
If the OTA update shows a revision of 022-704, then the 022-504 likely can't be applied. Everything about what the 022-704 provides is based solely on two user manual updates, which may or may not be 100% accurate, and are an inference to what the differences might be between 022-504/022-704 (the owner manual update supplement only maps out changes in documentation, and those changes may or may not be 100% accurate, and are not a list of new features/bugfixes are in a software release). I suspect there is no difference between the two, other than a designation that one was OTA and the other was using the USB method. I don't put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the owner manual updates, and the connection to what is changed in the software. But that's just my opinion.​
Even the current revision of the TSB for the software update is missing things (release date missing the day, some other minor things here and there).​

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
44 Posts

From what I have see in this doc posted in this thread somewhere:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/do...4v_Ssaf1ixHeD_yWdHYF-6ABiartcrjyOz_eZTshBnQtk

The only difference between installing it via USB and WiFi is the enable clock setting touching the clock display in the status bar.

However this doc may have been updated and I am not really sure how accurate it is, someone that has updated already can confirm. Even better would be someone with 704 and someone else with 504 to compare...

1593455603246.png

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
44 Posts
Depends. If it's 020-704 or 021-704, then yes. The owner manual supplement footnotes imply that there might be a 022-70 (they used "Software version after updated: F11G*M02*-704" in the manual supplement). The features seem to match the current 022-504 feature set. Where it gets confusing is 022-704 isn't referenced in the TSB anywhere. From the TSB:

"The examples below identify the head unit model and the last 6 digits signify the software version​
number. Examples:​
• F11GHMxxx-xxx (High model software)​
• F11GMMxxx-xxx (Mid model software)​
• F11GBMxxx-xxx (Base model software)​
If the software version number is 020-501, 020-502, 020-704, 021-503 or 021-704, proceed to​
STEP 2 below. If the software version is 022-504 or higher, STOP as the unit already has the latest​
software version installed. "​
note: nothing referencing 020-704 or 021-704 appear anywhere in the earlier revision of the TSB either. The current TSB seems to indicate those revisions exist. No direct reference to a matching 022-704 for the current 022-504.​
If the OTA update shows a revision of 022-704, then the 022-504 likely can't be applied. Everything about what the 022-704 provides is based solely on two user manual updates, which may or may not be 100% accurate, and are an inference to what the differences might be between 022-504/022-704 (the owner manual update supplement only maps out changes in documentation, and those changes may or may not be 100% accurate, and are not a list of new features/bugfixes are in a software release). I suspect there is no difference between the two, other than a designation that one was OTA and the other was using the USB method. I don't put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the owner manual updates, and the connection to what is changed in the software. But that's just my opinion.​
Even the current revision of the TSB for the software update is missing things (release date missing the day, some other minor things here and there).​
From this screenshot of the Manual? I think... it is mentioned that 504 is the version installed from USB and 704 is the version installed via OTA (WiFi).

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
49 Posts
I emailed SOA a few days back about whether Android Auto portrait was included and whether we could apply this ourselves. As we kind of knew by now, AA portrait is not included and there was no plan offered as to if/when it would be. In terms of dealer vs. self-install, I found the answer encouraging actually:

"The software update for your 2020 Legacy is currently just available through your Subaru retailer with a USB. An over-the-air update is forthcoming. You can complete that yourself."

Stay tuned, I guess. Not sure how long "forthcoming" is, but am glad to hear it.

(UPDATE: I just read the ones above. Seems I'm a bit behind and you've already laid out some more detailed info...)

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,157 Posts
I emailed SOA a few days back about whether Android Auto portrait was included and whether we could apply this ourselves. As we kind of knew by now, AA portrait is not included and there was no plan offered as to if/when it would be. In terms of dealer vs. self-install, I found the answer encouraging actually:

"The software update for your 2020 Legacy is currently just available through your Subaru retailer with a USB. An over-the-air update is forthcoming. You can complete that yourself."

Stay tuned, I guess. Not sure how long "forthcoming" is, but am glad to hear it.

(UPDATE: I just read the ones above. Seems I'm a bit behind and you've already laid out some more detailed info...)
Already here: 2020 Outback Software GIGATHREAD

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
List of changes to the head unit software so far (figured I'd make a single list so people will know what's in this one, and the previous update). Each successive update has the previous fixes/enhancements included.

Conditions Addressed By Update #3:
Version RC2011
Software Version ID F11GBM032-280/F11G*M042-380 (2020 MY)
Software Version ID F31GBM030-880/F31G*M040-980 (2021 MY)
12/14/2020
  1. Clarification of the post-FOTA procedure instructions required to complete the update. A message will appear with the text "Software Update Installation CompleteTo complete the update, your vehicle and STARLINK system must be fully shut down. Please turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. Lock doors, and let the vehicle sit for at least 5 minutes. It is recommended to walk at least 10 feet from the vehicle to prevent key fob interference. After waiting at least 5 minutes, enter the vehicle and turn the engine on. An “Update Successful” message will appear after a few moments. The update will then be complete."
  2. Currently, the microphone level indication is incorrect. The indicator level has been corrected.
  3. A reduced (low) volume (-6db) concern during handsfree conversation when using CarPlay has been addressed to make the volume level consistent.
  4. Voice recognition (VR) has been enhanced to improve recognition of short words (e.g. YES).
  5. The program has been corrected to prevent repeated rebooting and system freeze-up immediately after activation of AndroidAuto.
List of New Functions and Enhancements Included in Update #3:
  1. OPERATIONAL ENHANCEMENT INCLUDED: The Auto Stop-Start On/Off function button has been moved from the bottom to top layer of the system for easier use.
Conditions Addressed By Update #2:
Version RC2003 / Software Version ID F11G*M022-504
06/24/2020
  1. Several minutes after Engine start, the Center Information Display (CID) reboots.
  2. After an extended period of usage, some white blinking dots appear on the display.
  3. The display screen freezes or becomes blank (black screen) after a CD is inserted. This symptom occurs when a CD with over 99 characters of Artist Name Data is used.
  4. CIDreboots: In a case where the system was shut down with SXM selected as the audio source, the CID reboots after the next start up.
  5. SXM does not resume playing instantly: In a case where the system was shut down with SXM selected as the audio source, SXM takes more than 20 seconds to resume play after the opening screen is displayed (when it normally only takes approximately 5 seconds.)
  6. Radio station does not resume playing (no audio output): In a case where the system was shut down with Radio being selected as the audio source, audio output does not resume at the next start up. Once the audio source is changed to SXM, SXM plays normally but, if the source is changed back to the Radio, audio does not return and the radio display is also lost.
  7. Customer-selected Equalizer settings are lost. Equalizer returns to the default settings after ignition switch is turned OFF and back ON.
  8. The media source cannot be changed: Even if <Radio> or <Media> is selected, the media source does not change. In addition, Voice Recognition stops functioning at the same time. This condition occurs when the volume setting is continuously changed while the CID is booting.
  9. In a case where the system was shut down while the Navigation map screen was being displayed, the display goes blank (black screen) soon after the Disclaimer screen is displayed after restarting.
  10. CID reboots repeatedly after setting a destination using the Navigation system.
  11. CID reboots while using the Pandora application via CarPlay.
  12. Bluetooth connection cannot be reestablished when using certain smart phones: When using Android Auto on certain smartphones, a Bluetooth connection cannot be reestablished automatically once it has been disconnected.
  13. CarPlay connection cannot be established: When connecting an iPhone via USB, ”CarPlay Unavailable” is displayed and CarPlay does work.
  14. The HOME screen goes blank: When the screen is switched from Camera mode to HOME, no icons are displayed as shown below.
List of New Functions and Enhancements Included in Update #2:
  1. The previously selected customized map orientation setting is memorized even after ignition OFF / ON. If the customer changes the map orientation setting, the change is automatically retained.
  2. Pin display of POI is now available.
  3. In the 2D and 3D HU display mode, the vehicle position icon on the Navigation map is easier to identify:
    • Icon size increased from 7mm to 9mm.
    • Icon color has been changed to Dark Blue.
    • Icon position (when using route guidance) stays at the same position as when not using route guidance.
    • Icon has been re-positioned 9mm higher on the display.
  4. The ISS (Auto Start Stop) button has been moved to the upper layer in the Car Setting menu. By touching the “Car Setting” icon, the Auto Start Stop and Cruise Control Acceleration Characteristics menus can be accessed immediately, whereas selecting “Others” in the Car Setting screen was required to access these menus.
  5. HVAC control buttons of base grade are now larger and easier to see.
  6. Time zone and Summertime are now automatically selected:
    Default setting of clock setting is Auto. The time zone is changed according to the vehicle location, and Summertime is automatically set according to the calendar.
  7. Clock setting can be selected by touching the clock display in the status bar.
  8. AlbumArt is displayed when music is played and now continues to be displayed when the vehicle is in motion.
  9. CarPlay screen is now expanded from half size (horizontal) to full screen (vertical).
  10. When using CarPlay or Android Auto, a “CarPlay” or “Android Auto” tab will now appear on the Media tab bar. By selecting this tab, music data and metadata can be browsed.
  11. When using route guidance with CarPlay navigation, <Turn by Turn> descriptions will be displayed both in the Information bar of CID and in the MID located in the center of the combination meter.
  12. By touching the new CarPlay button located at the top of the CID, the CarPlay menu can be accessed easily.
  13. In a case where the system is shut down while is CarPlay connected, the system automatically resumes the connection at the next start up.
  14. <Siri> Voice Recognition function is ready to use faster than with previous version.
  15. Gracenote Media Database updated to November 2019.
  16. Sirius XM Smart Favorites menu has been removed from SiriusXM Settings
    • Going forward first 10 set Sirius XM presets are now smart favorites by default
    • Smart favorite channel has “star” added to the preset button
Conditions Addressed By Update #1:
Version RC1912 / Software Version ID F11G*M021-503
02/24/2020
  1. The CP1 display and/or center Combination Meter display freezes. No response from touch screen or voice guidance. After switching the ignition off and opening the driver’s door, the system does not recover. NOTE: After switching the ignition off and leaving the driver’s door open more than 70 seconds, the system may recover after switching the ignition back on.
  2. Delayed response of rear view camera guide lines: When the rear view camera is activated and the steering wheel is turned, there is a delay before the steering-responsive guide lines respond to the steering wheel input.
  3. Fuel consumption display has unnecessary ‘Φ’ mark when changing mileage unit to Km.
  4. Diagnostics Recorder Data cannot be exported to the USB memory device. When the diagnostic log data is being downloaded (by selecting: Dealership Menu > Diagnostics Recorder > Export Data to USB), it fails after the progress bar reaches almost 90% with an error message of Export failed. Please try again.
  5. When using Voice Recognition to search for a ‘Nearby POI’ (Point of Interest) in Canada with FRENCH language selected, the CP1 display turns black and displays a Caution / disclaimer message.

·
Premium Member
6,836 Posts
The only difference between installing it via USB and WiFi is the enable clock setting touching the clock display in the status bar.
That's just one difference. The underlying improvements to the reliability and responsiveness of the system are based on the USB update, but those changes aren't described in a revised owner's manual.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
44 Posts

Even though the OTA via WiFi would be a preferred option... for me since I don't have WiFi near my vehicle and doing a hotspot with my phone to download 6gb is a pain, I appreciate having the files available on USB and just to the update offline.

·
Registered
238 Posts
However, what features on the wishlist did it miss or omit?
Does it fix the “issue” of improving the quality of the backup camera image? I remember talk of that getting worked out a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
238 Posts
However, what features on the wishlist did it miss or omit?
Did it fix an issue with the Siri/Bluetooth command randomly popping up for no reason? That happens to me a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx
124 Posts
Does it fix the “issue” of improving the quality of the backup camera image? I remember talk of that getting worked out a few months back.

i dont remember exactly what it used to look like but after the update, it's still pretty terrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, @chvvkumar!
Thank you so much for posting the update!
I just tried downloading it and I'm having trouble unzipping the archive. I'm doing it on Mac so there's a good chance something is wrong with my zip utility, but I just wanted to see if anybody else was able to unzip it successfully.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Outdoor XT 2020
71 Posts
Hey, @chvvkumar!
Thank you so much for posting the update!
I just tried downloading it and I'm having trouble unzipping the archive. I'm doing it on Mac so there's a good chance something is wrong with my zip utility, but I just wanted to see if anybody else was able to unzip it successfully.
I was able to unzip it on Windows... but it was just for curiosity :p as my car doesn't have the nav, so it is not compatible.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
122 Posts
So a lot of people have reached out asking if I could share the update. So far I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Here is the file. I rehosted this on my personal Google Drive.

THIS UPDATE FILE IS ONLY FOR HEAD UNITS WITH 11.2" SCREEN AND NAVIGATION. DO NOT RUN THIS ON OTHER HEAD UNITS

Read through the PDF in the link completely before you attempt the upgrade.

If you do go ahead and try this, please keep in mind that you are doing this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any issues that may rise out of this.

wish me luck...

681 - 700 of 4235 Posts