Subaru Outback Forums banner
7361 - 7380 of 7845 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
55 Posts
I agree with your logic, even though it doesn’t match my experience. Your Outback is a 20? Do you have the latest software and a new CCU? If yes to both I have no answer, but if not then that’s the next step.

Edit: looks like you’re not in your Outback anymore. When you did your comparison, was it the same version of iOS? I’ve definitely seen differences in CarPlay and google maps stability in both the Outback and my Sierra depending on the software version. There was a period of several months where the Subaru was solid but there was an audio delay problem in the Sierra that was finally solved by an update to Google maps. Lots of moving pieces, it’s amazing it all works as well as it does.

That big screen is in what, three other Subaru models now besides the Outback? That suggests it’s here to say, so fortunately for me, at least, it’s been rock solid since the April 2022 update along with the new CCU I had installed before.
The comparison was initially with my Wife's Crosstrek. I moved to my crosstrek and have the same results. I was on 780 i believe aka whatever latest from April 2022. It appears subaru is jamming the big no button concept down our throats unfortunately. One thing I have been loving with the crosstrek is buttons and rotary dials. For some reason they work really well and every time and instantly. Also funny thing, the crappy little 6.5" screen on mine, and my wife's 8 inch screen, the UI is very responsive in comparison to the outback. Hopefully with more models using this big all screen for CCU that it will get more attention.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,393 Posts
The comparison was initially with my Wife's Crosstrek. I moved to my crosstrek and have the same results. I was on 780 i believe aka whatever latest from April 2022. It appears subaru is jamming the big no button concept down our throats unfortunately. One thing I have been loving with the crosstrek is buttons and rotary dials. For some reason they work really well and every time and instantly. Also funny thing, the crappy little 6.5" screen on mine, and my wife's 8 inch screen, the UI is very responsive in comparison to the outback. Hopefully with more models using this big all screen for CCU that it will get more attention.
Were you on your original CCU that came with your 20 or had it been updated? Was your Limited with or without nav?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Original CCU with HK.
If you had upgraded your CCU, I suspect you would have been pleased, but we'll never know now. As you said, since Subaru is putting the big screen in so many models, hopefully it will only get better.

Many have lamented that it took Subaru two years to get the bugs out of the big screen, but I am thankful for their efforts to keep updating the system. My 14 Sierra had a bunch of updates for about two years, way more than Subaru has had on the 20+ Outback, and then the updates stopped. The Sierra still has some infotainment quirks that will never be fixed, but for a 14 model year it's still pretty good. (The 20+ Outback still has a couple infotainment quirks our 19 Outback didn't have, but they're not showstoppers like so many of the earlier issues were.) By comparison, the Outback, now that the bugs are out, definitely outperforms the Sierra in terms of infotainment, but of course that's to be expected for a vehicle that is 6 years newer. Once Super Cruise makes it to the lower trim levels, I'll probably get another Sierra/Silverado, but for now my 14 with 170K miles is still doing great.

As for the Outback, my 20 with 58K is about as perfect as a vehicle can be. For its replacement I'd like to see the 360 camera from the Ascent and the more advanced Eyesight features from the Levorg. I suspect it will only be a few more years before those features and more make it to the US. There are several rogue videos out there showing the current generation Outback driving long distances on its own by placing a small weight on the steering wheel. While I haven't done that myself, I've gotten used to tapping the steering wheel once every 20-40 seconds to keep the system engaged and let it do it's thing, it really is that good.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Legacy | Factory High
17 Posts
Chances are very good any replacement CCU will be the most recent, upgraded hardware, and also very slim that they'll replace it under warranty for the relatively minor (to them) problems you're having.
They just flashed CID F11GHC016-500 to the car and called it good. Not exactly certain what that CID file pertains to but hopefully it makes things better.

I flashed the MSOC F11GHM122-780 just over a week ago. I'm assuming the discrepancy in GHC and GHM values are simply because they're shared between cars/trims?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
They just flashed CID F11GHC016-500 to the car and called it good. Not exactly certain what that CID file pertains to but hopefully it makes things better.

I flashed the MSOC F11GHM122-780 just over a week ago. I'm assuming the discrepancy in GHC and GHM values are simply because they're shared between cars/trims?
It'd be helpful if you would update your profile to indicate the year and model.

I do not see any version number which starts with F11GHC

Maybe the CID numbering pattern is different from the Infotainment pattern, @walker ?
Font Rectangle Slope Number Parallel

Nor do I see a version which ends in 016-500.

F11GHM122-780 applies to a 2020 High OB/Legacy.
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,657 Posts
Posts are very confusing without photos. There are many bits of software and people use terminology imprecisely. It's much better if someone posts photos of their software version screen. That particular CID number is a subset of the actual flash.

Font Midnight Darkness Magenta Circle

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Posts are very confusing without photos. There are many bits of software and people use terminology imprecisely. It's much better if someone posts photos of their software version screen. That particular CID number is a subset of the actual flash.

View attachment 545822

View attachment 545822

As @SilverOnyx mentions, screen shots are the authoritative source of what software is running on the vehicle and not what shows on the invoice, which, I am guessing, was typed in by the dealer tech.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It'd be helpful if you would update your profile to indicate the year and model.

I do not see any version number which starts with F11GHC

Maybe the CID numbering pattern is different from the Infotainment pattern, @walker ?
View attachment 545820

Nor do I see a version which ends in 016-500.

F11GHM122-780 applies to a 2020 High OB/Legacy.
View attachment 545821
Sorry about that! I've update my profile. It's a 2020 Legacy with the HIGH infotainment system. The dealership updated the CID file to the one I listed above... and I have no idea what that one does, but they said that only dealerships had access to that file.

Photo coming soon...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
18,657 Posts
That CID file is old, and is also current as far as I am aware. Basically it's not "new" and not exclusive to the dealership.

It's the same version found in the MID 2020 updates from 4/2022 USB and 8/2022 OTA as well as a flash way back in 2020. So I'm not sure that particular file changes or ever gets updated. If you had taken a before and after screenshot of your infotainment version screen it would have been illuminating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That CID file is old, and is also current as far as I am aware. Basically it's not "new" and not exclusive to the dealership.

It's the same version found in the MID 2020 updates from 4/2022 USB and 8/2022 OTA as well as a flash way back in 2020. So I'm not sure that particular file changes or ever gets updated. If you had taken a before and after screenshot of your infotainment version screen it would have been illuminating.
Thank you. Apparently the CID file on my car was older than the one they just flashed. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Font Screenshot Auto part Multimedia Audio equipment

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Sport-Tech, 2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
523 Posts
This just in.... I was just in the dealership for my 30K service and while chatting with my advisor about the CCUs, he told me that because of the chip shortage, most CCU they replace are factory reconditioned units. There's no guarantee (and unlikely) that you would get a brand new unit. He said the supply limits them to new vehicles. He didn't know what they do to recondition them. Interesting. Not sure I want to risk having my dash opened up for someone else's problems.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
This just in.... I was just in the dealership for my 30K service and while chatting with my advisor about the CCUs, he told me that because of the chip shortage, most CCU they replace are factory reconditioned units. There's no guarantee (and unlikely) that you would get a brand new unit. He said the supply limits them to new vehicles. He didn't know what they do to recondition them. Interesting. Not sure I want to risk having my dash opened up for someone else's problems.
I highly doubt Subaru would simply install a CCU which was a taken from another customer’s vehicle with a problem, placed on a shelf until another customer had a CCU problem, then install a CCU with a known problem in your vehicle. That wouldn't make any business sense.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I highly doubt Subaru would simply install a CCU which was a taken from another customer’s vehicle with a problem, placed on a shelf until another customer had a CCU problem, then install a CCU with a known problem in your vehicle. That wouldn't make any business sense.
The advisor said they're reconditioned - not swap outs.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The advisor said they're reconditioned - not swap outs.
My point, which I could have made clearer, was your statement,

Monsieurmaggot said:
Not sure I want to risk having my dash opened up for someone else's problems.
Since the CCUs are reconditioned, I didn't understand how could you end up with someone else's problem.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I‘ve worked in the technology field for over 40 years and more often than not, “factory refurbished” means someone putting a test probe on measurement points on a circuit board. If they pass the spec., they move on to another test point until the board passes. All the while an intermittent issue could be missed altogether. The term “refurbished“ would simply mean someone checked the device (and performed within spec. as I outlined above) If it was completely overhauled, you couldn’t easily tell. Once it gets recertified, unless you have access to the work orders, you won’t know the extent of the work performed on the device. In my experience, depending on the complexity of the device, chips and components on consumer products are typically replaced with identical legacy pieces. I seriously doubt a consumer repair manual has an updated components list. They usually revise the circuit board which would bring its own updated component/parts list. Unless I can order a brand new (and updated) CCU, a warranty repair will use the most cost-effective product. I would find it hard to believe that a CCU pulled from a vehicle is destroyed. Then again, if they are, it shows just how cheaply they are made. For me, I would be skeptical of refurbished (or remanufactured) units. One way to tell would be to see if the part number of a retail CCU is the same as a warranty replacement.

Reactions: ScottS

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I don’t know if my “new” CCU was new or reconditioned. I went for it because other members here had reported great results from replacing their CCU, and now I, too, espouse the benefits of replacing the CCU if you’re still having issues even though you have the latest software. 4 months now without a hiccup works for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don’t know if my “new” CCU was new or reconditioned. I went for it because other members here had reported great results from replacing their CCU, and now I, too, espouse the benefits of replacing the CCU if you’re still having issues even though you have the latest software. 4 months now without a hiccup works for me.
How were you able to convince them to give you a new CCU? They basically keep telling me "They're just kind of slow and software updates should fix it. Also, Android Auto is bad because Google needs to fix it," which clearly is bogus.

Does the new CCU make the horrible delays within Android Auto less insufferable or is it still pretty jank?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I‘ve worked in the technology field for over 40 years and more often than not, “factory refurbished” means someone putting a test probe on measurement points on a circuit board. If they pass the spec., they move on to another test point until the board passes. All the while an intermittent issue could be missed altogether. The term “refurbished“ would simply mean someone checked the device (and performed within spec. as I outlined above) If it was completely overhauled, you couldn’t easily tell. Once it gets recertified, unless you have access to the work orders, you won’t know the extent of the work performed on the device. In my experience, depending on the complexity of the device, chips and components on consumer products are typically replaced with identical legacy pieces. I seriously doubt a consumer repair manual has an updated components list. They usually revise the circuit board which would bring its own updated component/parts list. Unless I can order a brand new (and updated) CCU, a warranty repair will use the most cost-effective product. I would find it hard to believe that a CCU pulled from a vehicle is destroyed. Then again, if they are, it shows just how cheaply they are made. For me, I would be skeptical of refurbished (or remanufactured) units. One way to tell would be to see if the part number of a retail CCU is the same as a warranty replacement.
Well, since Subaru only installs refurbished as replacements, the issue is moot, they do not replace CCUs with new ones. Clearly, everyone can draw their own conclusions from believing they are refurbished CCUs to calling Subaru liars because they are not refurbed and they are simply moving CCUs with problems between multiple customers.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How were you able to convince them to give you a new CCU? They basically keep telling me "They're just kind of slow and software updates should fix it. Also, Android Auto is bad because Google needs to fix it," which clearly is bogus.

Does the new CCU make the horrible delays within Android Auto less insufferable or is it still pretty jank?
I recommend contacting Subaru of America and opening a case about your CCU, being specific on the problems you are experiencing and the things your dealer has tried.

Based on the posts here, 2020 vehicles seem to have more issues, although (1) There are people who own a 2020 and have had no issues, e.g., @SilverOnyx and (2) The members of this forum are not representative of Gen 6 owners because people typically join to complain about their problems and not to sing the praises of their car.

7361 - 7380 of 7845 Posts