Subaru Outback Forums banner

761 - 780 of 2540 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,043 Posts
It sounds like there is a basic design flaw in the update process. A "software update" should check that the files are compatible and not blindly install them. Subaru knows their automotive techs are not IT gurus so updates should be foolproof. Then separately have a unbricking procedure so they don't have to send the head unit back because of a software bug.
I agree. It should not be that easy to 🧱 the headunit, especially for the dealers. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,043 Posts
What's interesting is that none of the Nav(HIGH) flashes performed by owners have failed. Only dealer-flashes have occasionally failed.

Not sure if the failed dealer flashes are only Nav(HIGH), or Non-Nav(MID), or a mix.
Probably because owners read the instructions as they are afraid of doing something wrong.
Some of the techs on the other hand think they know it all. And if they don't, you end up with bricked headunit.

I so wish we would have the files available for the non nav version. Subaru would save a ton in dealer fees and bad head units. 😉

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

New here. Just got my 2020 Outback a few weeks ago. I work in IT so fully comfortable doing this update. Thanks for the update compressed file. It went great. Updated the software and the maps in under an hour, that was nice. A few tips I would suggest whenever going into a situation like this. First, don't use an old USB drive that has been used many many times and purposes, is old, USB flash drives are not that durable. I would suspect this head unit has no ECC checking and if there is any corruption in the files loaded or the drive not in good shape, that could be one way to run into issues. I would also avoid using no-name brand drives. I would stick to Kingston and SanDisk, they recommend some in the TSB, any of those type 64GB or larger would do. I would dedicate a drive for the updates.
IMG_20200629_204011.jpg
IMG_20200629_203517.jpg
IMG_20200629_203420.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
162 Posts
I am really disappointed they didn't include Android Auto full screen. Another call to SOA is in my immediate future. I love that album art stays on. That was so silly to begin with.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
584 Posts
Hey, @chvvkumar!
Thank you so much for posting the update!
I just tried downloading it and I'm having trouble unzipping the archive. I'm doing it on Mac so there's a good chance something is wrong with my zip utility, but I just wanted to see if anybody else was able to unzip it successfully.
It worked fine for me on a PC -- I didn't even bother unzipping the file directly; just used Windows Explorer, dragged the files out of the zip file and onto USB media, and it worked without issue.

·
Registered
2020 Silver Onyx XT Outback
27 Posts
I’m getting the dealer to do the mid 504 upgrade Wednesday. I had a service appointment anyway. Just out of curiosity I connected the car to my home WiFi network and checked for updates. It said there were none but my dealer knew about it. Does it change any of the HVAC controls on the 11” screen? Mine is the mid unit and I was hoping to control the seat heaters from the main screen instead of having to go to the sub menu. Thanks for all the info gang!,

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Legacy Touring XT
1 Posts
I have a Legacy touring with the nav. Should the posted files work with my head unit, or are they specific to the Outback?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
24 Posts
I'm running macOS X Catalina 10.15.5, which usually automatically unzips files. It didn't. You can download a free program from the Mac App Store The Unarchiver. I was able to unzip all four files with The Unarchiver. Files are: ALLUPD-NAVI.pkg 6.36 GB, HASHLIST.DAT, LOADING_ADP.KWI, LOADING_VCP.KWI Last 3 files are very small. Can anyone confirm these are the correct files? I'm going to take my car to the dealer to do the update. Appreciate the posting of the TSB and the files.
Thanks the app you suggested opened all four files up!

·
Registered
529 Posts
For what it’s worth I used the app “The Unarchiver” on my Mac to unzip the file. Not sure why the default app “Archive Utility” does not work.

What’s even odder is that the zip file and the unzipped folder are almost the same size?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Updating now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update worked for me.

I haven’t noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness.

I like the larger screen for phone maps. I can always add now playing to the top bar if playing radio instead of audio from my phone.

CarPlay now longer auto starts when I connect my phone. I must click home and the CarPlay app. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the files and support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,576 Posts
I have a Legacy touring with the nav. Should the posted files work with my head unit, or are they specific to the Outback?
The document does say the update is for both 2020 OB and Legacy. Just make sure you have the 11.6" screen with navigation before using the update.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
24 Posts
Stupid question - do I just copy the four unzipped files to the USB drive or the four unzipped files with the folder (RC2003_reproPKG(F11GHM022-504etc)?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,576 Posts
Stupid question - do I just copy the four unzipped files to the USB drive or the four unzipped files with the folder (RC2003_reproPKG(F11GHM022-504etc)?
Just the files on the drive without any folders.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
24 Posts
Another stumbling block - can not format the USB drive to NTFS on the Mac. It looks like the options to do this are somewhat involved.

761 - 780 of 2540 Posts