Subaru Outback Forums banner

781 - 800 of 1127 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,240 Posts
Another stumbling block - can not format the USB drive to NTFS on the Mac. It looks like the options to do this are somewhat involved.
Can you use disk utility to format it?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Can you use disk utility to format it?

That utility doesn't seem to do NTFS though.

·
Registered
2020 OB Premium, Abyss Blue
20 Posts
Got my OB updated from 502 to 504 on the first go. Thank god chvvkumar got us access cause the only dealer in town is one of those “if we can’t reproduce a problem, we ain’t gonna fix it” types (and the reason I couldn’t get updated to 503 when it came out).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
709 Posts
Mine came with 503. I had no idea people with 502 weren't getting turn information in the instrument cluster with AA. It's one of my favorite features and so much safer than looking over at the center console.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine came with 503. I had no idea people with 502 weren't getting turn information in the instrument cluster with AA. It's one of my favorite features and so much safer than looking over at the center console.
I had turn info in the cluster, at least with Waze. Maybe it was a Google Maps thing?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,240 Posts
I was on 502 until yesterday and I was getting turn by turn directions on my center screen in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wish list for the 505 update;

- Is there a notification or reminder for oil change? If not, this needs to be added especially as the XT models potentially need more frequent oil changes than the much missed 3.6

- Ability to dial a call from the 11" screen with the vehicle in motion

- Remove all of the birthday reminder nonsense. No idea how this received any priority over making start / stop a single press button from the home screen. Since the s/s has been moved, i have already disabled it twice. I also disabled it with the 502 on Sunday because it was messing with the very impressive adaptive cruise control that brought me to full stop in traffic.

- Make the Car Play buttons on the far left larger and add more than 3

- Enable the operator to see the reason why eyesight turned off; sun, obstruction, rain, etc

- Provide the update so this is an operator accessible upgrade from day one; USB and OTA. My gut instinct is that it is a mistake to go down the OTA aka 70x series path as it will potentially be problematic in the future. I have zero facts to back this up, but the wording in the TSB is curious the way if you get 704, you can not upgrade to 504.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,240 Posts
My wish list for the 505 update;

- Is there a notification or reminder for oil change? If not, this needs to be added especially as the XT models potentially need more frequent oil changes than the much missed 3.6

- Ability to dial a call from the 11" screen with the vehicle in motion

- Remove all of the birthday reminder nonsense. No idea how this received any priority over making start / stop a single press button from the home screen. Since the s/s has been moved, i have already disabled it twice. I also disabled it with the 502 on Sunday because it was messing with the very impressive adaptive cruise control that brought me to full stop in traffic.

- Enable the operator to see the reason why eyesight turned off; sun, obstruction, rain, etc

- Provide the update so this is an operator accessible upgrade from day one; USB and OTA. My gut instinct is that it is a mistake to go down the OTA aka 70x series path as it will potentially be problematic in the future. I have zero facts to back this up, but the wording in the TSB is curious the way if you get 704, you can not upgrade to 504.
  • This exists already (and reminders for wheel rotation etc.)
  • Isn't this an Apple thing? They have to change how car play is designed if I understand which buttons you are talking about.
  • I believe it kind of does right now. My dashcam wire was hanging in front of one of the cameras and the eyesight error message was "EyeSight Disabled, No camera View"
The things I want to see in the next update is:
1. Make the top widget screen remember it's last selected position. Right now it resets to the first screen. Especially annoying when using Android Auto
2. Add more useful metrics to the same widget screen. Things like OBDII readings would be awesome. Even better, give me a page (like the 'Media' page) filled with OBDII readings
3. Move seat heater controls outside of the almost useless page that they are in right now. Make the seat heater button a three level toggle.
4. Add ability to mark any setting as a 'Favorite' and group all these in the screen that currently has AVH and Auto S/S toggles.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Another stumbling block - can not format the USB drive to NTFS on the Mac. It looks like the options to do this are somewhat involved.
Yep, I just went down this path.

So I fired up my copy of VMWare Fusion to run windows and formatted the drive there and then copied the files into the drive. The sizes of the files match the documentation so I think I’m OK now to upgrade...but I’ll wait until the morning.

I so rarely use Fusion that I did not realize that it wasn’t seeing USB drives anymore! After finding a KB article on VMWare’s website I had to go into the Macs Security and Privacy settings general tab and give it access to devices!

·
Registered
20 Posts
No changes with AA. Android Auto doesn't yet support full screen modes. "Only change is that there is a new tab in the 'Media' app for AA music info.
Now if only they could port that info to the lower half of the screen when using AA while we wait for the same portrait treatment CarPlay got. Really hate having that half empty bit when I’m listening to Spotify.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,240 Posts
Now if only they could port that info to the lower half of the screen when using AA while we wait for the same portrait treatment CarPlay got. Really hate having that half empty bit when I’m listening to Spotify.
Yup, I mentioned this in another thread but not having AA or CP media in the lower half now makes even more sense. It's already there on the media screen, why not add it to the lower half screen as well?

·
Registered
269 Posts
  • This exists already (and reminders for wheel rotation etc.)
  • Isn't this an Apple thing? They have to change how car play is designed if I understand which buttons you are talking about.
  • I believe it kind of does right now. My dashcam wire was hanging in front of one of the cameras and the eyesight error message was "EyeSight Disabled, No camera View"
The things I want to see in the next update is:
1. Make the top widget screen remember it's last selected position. Right now it resets to the first screen. Especially annoying when using Android Auto
2. Add more useful metrics to the same widget screen. Things like OBDII readings would be awesome. Even better, give me a page (like the 'Media' page) filled with OBDII readings
3. Move seat heater controls outside of the almost useless page that they are in right now. Make the seat heater button a three level toggle.
4. Add ability to mark any setting as a 'Favorite' and group all these in the screen that currently has AVH and Auto S/S toggles.
Where will the oil change reminder appear? Will it give me a 1000 or 500 mile warning?

Your #2 would be where i would want to see the historical list of reasons why eyesight stopped

Here is the 504 Car Play. The three little icons are still small and only three. The improvements in 504 are that significant, that is why I put the change in my 505 wish list. @mcotton - Does the left hand icon view change with iOS 14 only having those three options ie in the picture Google Maps, iTunes, and phone? Ideally those icons would be bigger and that column would have 3 more icons.

A good example of how significant the 504 improvement is the screen below as it is no longer needed when instead it is easier to go to media and manage music in car play that way. If i select "songs" screen in the picture below and scroll through, it still gets slow and sometimes freezes post 504.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where will the oil change reminder appear? Will it give me a 1000 or 500 mile warning?

Your #2 would be where i would want to see the historical list of reasons why eyesight stopped

Here is the 504 Car Play. The three little icons are still small and only three. The improvements in 504 are that significant, that is why I put the change in my 505 wish list. @mcotton - Does the left hand icon view change with iOS 14 only having those three options ie in the picture Google Maps, iTunes, and phone? Ideally those icons would be bigger and that column would have 3 more icons.

View attachment 487276
The maintenance reminders are in the Car Info app on the main screen. Not sure how the warnings will be since I haven’t gotten near one yet. There’s another thread where a guy was having issues with the tire reminder appearing at only a few hundred miles if you want to see pics.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The maintenance reminders are in the Car Info app on the main screen. Not sure how the warnings will be since I haven’t gotten near one yet. There’s another thread where a guy was having issues with the tire reminder appearing at only a few hundred miles if you want to see pics.
I want a red laser or annoying nag screen the size of the disclaimer saying the vehicle needs an oil change in x amount of miles. Something that you have to press "ok" to and then can be audited on. Future use case... 17 y/o child that "didn't know" it needed an oil change.

781 - 800 of 1127 Posts