Subaru Outback Forums banner

801 - 820 of 1126 Posts

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
Just came from my dealership with the 504 update.

While I see a full screen apple map, I now have no radio or audio of any kind. Pressing/turning radio button does not work, tried making a call, and no audio from the car. Used the factory navigation and no sound. I checked the sound menu and everything read in the negative. Tried increasing the volume and setting does not stay.

Just called the dealership back and they tell me that they will have to order a new unit. Will take 5 to 7 business days to get it.
Join the club, that's exactly what happened to me. In my case I suspect that on day one they installed one of the files, then on day two they installed the other two files. All of the successful posts I have seen showed all three files installing at the same time. There was a post somewhere in this thread that said if you mess it up the only fix is to order a new head unit, so that's what I am waiting on too. It seems to be more the fault of the individual dealer as opposed to Subaru themselves, although the argument could me made that Subaru should have made the procedure more idiot proof.

·
Registered
2020 OB Premium, Abyss Blue
20 Posts
I want a red laser or annoying nag screen the size of the disclaimer saying the vehicle needs an oil change in x amount of miles. Something that you have to press "ok" to and then can be audited on. Future use case... 17 y/o child that "didn't know" it needed an oil change.
LOL For that use case there’s always the vehicle health report feature of the My Subaru app. That **** thing constantly nagged me about “Starlink Errors” when I left my OBDII adapter plugged in

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
Had to do some driving today and noticed post 504;

1. First time I ever got the “Apple Car Play Unavailable” message about 5 minutes in on a Teams call. Disconnected phone, reconnected to Teams over Bluetooth.

2. Is SiriusXM running a promotion? Even though my trial expired about a week or so ago and said so, satellite radio started working again post 504. Oddly, two of my programmed stations say “Unsubscribed Channel” aka 40 and 41, but Lithium works fine along with being able to scroll through most channels.

View attachment 487259
Yes, XM is free for everyone through some date in July, don't know exactly when. Are you keeping your car now?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
Update worked for me.

I haven’t noticed a significant improvement in responsiveness.

I like the larger screen for phone maps. I can always add now playing to the top bar if playing radio instead of audio from my phone.

CarPlay now longer auto starts when I connect my phone. I must click home and the CarPlay app. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the files and support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's one of the options, but I don't remember now if it was in the car settings or the phone settings. I'm thinking the former. Dig around in your settings and I think you'll find it.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
The maintenance reminders are in the Car Info app on the main screen. Not sure how the warnings will be since I haven’t gotten near one yet. There’s another thread where a guy was having issues with the tire reminder appearing at only a few hundred miles if you want to see pics.
They pop up on startup when you're within about 300 miles of the change IIRC.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, XM is free for everyone through some date in July, don't know exactly when. Are you keeping your car now?
Was leaning towards it because 504 made that much a difference until the infotainment cratered the conference call I was on. First time ever saw that message. In theory, it could also be the phone that ran out of resources, but before 504, it never happened before. There was an update to the app I was using released on 6/29 so just did that update too. Thankfully it was an internal meeting versus client facing, but that scenario was the typical use case of a mobile office. The conference call quality is much better and can go louder when connected directly using Car Play versus bluetooth. For non-business use, the vehicle is very good (it does need stronger brakes) and is a great road trip vehicle. For business conference calls, even with 504, its a C+ at best. Previous vehicle had less road noise coming into the cabin, meaning the volume was fine on bluetooth, and the bluetooth never froze up while on a call. Tomorrow is my last day to decide and will driving around on more conference calls to see if the new "Apple Car Play Unavailable" message rears its ugly head again. My current phone is an iPhone Xs 256gb using iOS 13.5.1

PS - I feel bad for your situation. Clearly the shop messed up. The 503 update was a single file update and I am guessing the tech's muscle memory just focused on that one file and didn't RTFM.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
575 Posts
Tomorrow is my last day to decide and will driving around on more conference calls to see if the new "Apple Car Play Unavailable" message rears its ugly head again. My current phone is an iPhone Xs 256gb using iOS 13.5.1
If I'm not mistaken Subaru will probably give you more time to decide if you ask them. Their goal is a happy customer. BTW, I'm holding off on 13.5.1 because I seem to have heard somewhere that it contributes to CarPlay problems. It's tough making decisions when there are so many variables in the equation. One of our reservations going from the 19 to the 20 Outback was the small CarPlay display in the 20, and that reservation will be gone once ours is finally fixed with the new head unit.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
157 Posts
Mine came with 503. I had no idea people with 502 weren't getting turn information in the instrument cluster with AA. It's one of my favorite features and so much safer than
I was on 502 until yesterday and I was getting turn by turn directions on my center screen in the gauge cluster.
Same here. I had no problem with that on 502.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
I think that is debatable from what I have read. In any event - it's frustrating.
I was speaking with someone who works for Google. They mentioned while AA has resources to support portrait mode, it is not implemented in any head units right now.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
41 Posts
So, dumb question... what environments have you been to do the update? Everyone outdoors and well ventilated areas? Engine running? Charger?

I wonder since it is quite specific on the TSB, "make sure engine is running on car is on and connected to a charger in a well ventilated area"

I guess inside a garage wouldn't be the best place to do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
1,889 Posts
So, dumb question... what environments have you been to do the update? Everyone outdoors and well ventilated areas? Engine running? Charger?

I wonder since it is quite specific on the TSB, "make sure engine is running on car is on and connected to a charger in a well ventilated area"

Thanks.
I am sure the ventilation is for safety reasons. Just do it in your driveway.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts

Thanks.
you got your and/or mixed up there.

"Perform the update in a well ventilated location if updating with the engine running OR with
the ignition ON and a battery charger connected. "

either engine running OR ignition on and connected to a battery charger. There are separate subaru general service procedures that detail using a charger to prevent battery drain when performing some maintenance work. Garage is fine if you use a battery charger. Or even if the car is running and you have adequate ventilation.

It is interesting that this is a change to this TSB from the previous release though.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
41 Posts
you got your and/or mixed up there.

"Perform the update in a well ventilated location if updating with the engine running OR with
the ignition ON and a battery charger connected. "

View attachment 487289

either engine running OR ignition on and connected to a battery charger. There are separate subaru general service procedures that detail using a charger to prevent battery drain when performing some maintenance work. Garage is fine if you use a battery charger. Or even if the car is running and you have adequate ventilation.

It is interesting that this is a change to this TSB from the previous release though.
Yeah I know, a typo there. Meant 'or' not 'on' :)

But yeah, I know it sounded silly. But wouldn't want to have my car ending running in the garage for half an hour...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,238 Posts
Yeah I know, a typo there. Meant 'or' not 'on' :)

But yeah, I know it sounded silly. But wouldn't want to have my car ending running in the garage for half an hour...
Yeah it takes about 20-30 minutes to complete the update. Keep the engine running during that time in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I upgraded this AM. Thanks for posting the files. I was worried after hearing if dealers bricking some units. But just carefully follow the instructions and warnings.

I can also sadly confirm that the did not fix the ability to enabled Siri via a Bluetooth only connection with a long press on the talk button. This is documented in one of the manuals but has never worked on the 2020.

But that said CarPlay is a HUGE improvement.

Btw. You can see the Apple Park “spaceship” campus on the map. Live 2 miles from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

801 - 820 of 1126 Posts