Subaru Outback Forums banner

821 - 840 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
1,891 Posts
Geez...with all these stories, it would probably be wise to not let the dealer perform the update.
No kidding. I am starting to think the same here.
We keep on hearing stories about dealer screw-ups, but not a single botched user installation as far as I know.
My appointment is tomorrow morning. I will for sure talk to the tech, show him the TSB printout, and point out the 4 files needed on the stick, plus that there are different version, and I need the "M" version.
I would still prefer doing it myself, but the files are not available for the non-Nav version.

This is why I would never go to the dealer for anything but warranty work. Including and specifically oil changes ..... Do it yourself or be able to watch it being done.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,244 Posts
We keep on hearing stories about dealer screw-ups, but not a single botched user installation as far as I know.
My appointment is tomorrow morning. I will for sure talk to the tech, show him the TSB printout, and point out the 4 files needed on the stick, plus that there are different version, and I need the "M" version.
I would still prefer doing it myself, but the files are not available for the non-Nav version.

This is why I would never go to the dealer for anything but warranty work. Including and specifically oil changes ..... Do it yourself or be able to watch it being done.
I am going to reach out to my dealer sales guy and ask him if he can just give me the non-navi update on a stick tomorrow. I am due for my third oil change any way.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
392 Posts

Agreed. I want to do it myself as it appears most of the issues are technician error (due to everyone here’s success), but on the off chance that it fails on me, then I’m out $1k plus for the new unit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A legal argument can be made that since it appears the consumer upgraded approach is more successful than the retailer, that SoA should make these files available to registered operators to upgrade at their own risk.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,244 Posts
A legal argument can be made that since it appears the consumer upgraded approach is more successful than the retailer, that SoA should make these files available to registered operators to upgrade at their own risk.
Agree with this. Subaru should make these updates available to customers from mysubaru.com. They can put in a disclaimer that you can sign if they want.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just got back from my first drive to the Market with the update. No issues but here is my obvious observations....

It’s not that CarPlay maps is bigger, but that maps is also much larger in multi app view mode. This makes All of Car Play is improved even when all apps don’t make use of the full screen. Multi app mode is my normal view; I use full-screen maps when I need directions and then only sometimes and then back to multi app CarPlay mode. In multi app mode maps is now as big than full screen maps pre-update! Actually even in multi app mode it is a little bigger than before because it is taller than before

Also, the main display, in front of the steering wheel now shows direction information for CarPlay (something Android users had) which is much better than looking at the center console.

CarPlay starts up MUCH faster. This is very noticeable too me. Also remembers that CP was selected when I turn my car off and on.

I can see that I’m now going to plug my phone in every time I use my car. Before I only used CarPlay if I knew I was going to use maps ahead of time, otherwise I just used Bluetooth. Oh, now my big wish would be for wireless CarPlay.

Finally, the stacked buttons on the right are small and too close together- room for improvement here.

I have not used/tested other parts of the update yet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Agree with this. Subaru should make these updates available to customers from mysubaru.com. They can put in a disclaimer that you can sign if they want.
Well in a sense they will make this one available. That is what WiFi update is for and it is less likely to bork units. They just need to roll it out. This is how it should be done. Given how even dealers have borked units I can see why they don’t want folks using this method.

821 - 840 of 1140 Posts