Subaru Outback Forums banner
8721 - 8740 of 8801 Posts

· Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,382 Posts
After years of waiting for fullscreen Android Auto (and it almost being here for the 2020-2022 group, apparently...) I've moved on to an iPhone 14 Pro and am pretty amazed with how much more "usable" CarPlay is compared to the legacy AA (having never used CarPlay before, fwiw).
I'm not switching mobile platforms because of a failure of an auto maker to implement something.

Did you get cool walk? I haven't yet though it's supposed to be rolling out.
Apparently CoolWalk is a server-side switch, after all the hand-wringing waiting for the "next" AA update on devices. One thing I can't STAND is all the publications writing articles that "it's here", and now it turns out to be a server-side switch anyway!

· Registered
Subaru Outback Field Edition 2.5 2022
5 Posts
Try the following:
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Android Auto in Google Apps
  2. Go to Settings > Apps > App Management (I have Android 13. But look for where you can find all the apps)
  3. Search Android Auto
  4. Force Stop
  5. Storage Usage > Clear Cache
  6. Restart Phone
  7. Try AA again
If that doesn't work try this >> Reddit: How to check if your Google account has coolwalk activated and it's not your head unit issue and workaround for rotary/touchpad

Coolwalk is way better that the original. I bought an Ai Box (Ottocast) so I can use the whole screen in my '22
I answered a question in Reddit if you want more info about this alternative >> Reddit: has anyone seen coolwalk with a portrait screen? does it exist?

Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Communication Device Gadget

· Premium Member
2023 Outback Onyx XT
4,013 Posts
Try the following:
  2. Go to Settings > Apps > App Management (I have Android 13. But look for where you can find all the apps)
  3. Search Android Auto
  4. Force Stop
  6. Restart Phone
  7. Try AA again
If that doesn't work try this >> Reddit: How to check if your Google account has coolwalk activated and it's not your head unit issue and workaround for rotary/touchpad

Coolwalk is way better that the original. I bought an Ai Box (Ottocast) so I can use the whole screen in my '22
I answered a question in Reddit if you want more info about this alternative >> Reddit: has anyone seen coolwalk with a portrait screen? does it exist?

View attachment 558130
Thank you for the info! I have cool walk enabled on my account it looks like. I'll mess around with the app and see if I can get it working.

· Premium Member
2020 Onyx
20,252 Posts
You have the October 2022 files listed in your photo and those are the latest files that we know of.

@walker has a separate thread with the changelog/history of these updates:

· Registered
2021 Onyx XT
398 Posts
What exactly is the latest update? I just got back from the dealer and they I stalled this.
Font Rectangle Astronomical object Space Science

Just an FYI...For lurkers.

Current map version is 44084.

· Registered
2022 Outback Touring 2.5
19 Posts
Try the following:
  3. Search Android Auto
  4. Force Stop
  6. Restart Phone
  7. Try AA again

View attachment 558130
I still can't get it
What's your AA version?
The latest I have is 8.5.625224
I know I can get later if I download from apk mirror sites but am nervous about doing so.

· Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
337 Posts
I've been using Coolwalk for a while as part of the beta program and it a big improvement over the previous version altit still has some of the original software bugs that have not been fixed, like the share journey still does not work correctly. Since the AA display in to 20-22 is so small I usually just keep it in full map mode instead of having the side tiles otherwise the map is about 3 inches square. Would like to see it on the 23 full screen AA if someone who has a 2e can post a picture to give us an idea.

· Registered
5 Posts

· Registered
4,382 Posts
The latest is 8.7.6302
I think from the version 8.7.xxxx is available to everyone.
This is one of the super-frustrating things about Google. I have a Pixel 7, just updated my AA app 3 days ago and I have version 8.5.xxx! WTH, why would I not get 8.7?

· Registered
5 Posts
I've been using Coolwalk for a while as part of the beta program and it a big improvement over the previous version altit still has some of the original software bugs that have not been fixed, like the share journey still does not work correctly. Since the AA display in to 20-22 is so small I usually just keep it in full map mode instead of having the side tiles otherwise the map is about 3 inches square. Would like to see it on the 23 full screen AA if someone who has a 2e can post a picture to give us an idea.
I bought an Ai Box from ottocast (Picasou) for my '22 and works perfectly in fullscreen (using Carplay as a medium). Side-bonus: I can use it as a tablet (install apps, netflix, etc)
Here are some pics:
Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Telephone Portable communications device

Mobile phone Portable communications device Mobile device Telephony Communication Device

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device

Mobile phone Product Telephony Mobile device Portable communications device

· Premium Member
2023 Outback Onyx XT
4,013 Posts
I have cool walk enabled on my account but it doesn't still show on the car. I'll play with it and see if I can get it working and will post pics if I can get it to work.
This is one of the super-frustrating things about Google. I have a Pixel 7, just updated my AA app 3 days ago and I have version 8.5.xxx! WTH, why would I not get 8.7?
Even if you get the right app version Google controls the deployment server dude so unless your account has it enabled server dude, you might not see it, even with the correct app version.

· Registered
4,382 Posts
Even if you get the right app version Google controls the deployment server dude so unless your account has it enabled server dude, you might not see it, even with the correct app version.
I'm aware, I even posted a link to an article about that very topic last night...

· Registered
67 Posts

· Registered
'23 Legacy Touring XT
679 Posts
I have no idea what "pushed from the server" means

It means they make the change on Google's end and is has nothing to do with which version of the app you're using (assuming it meets the minimum required version). So installing the newest version won't get you anywhere, you need to wait for Google to enable it on your account.

· Registered
2020 Outback Ltd XT
38 Posts
No not yet. I still have my old Pixel so I'll definitely give Coolwalk a look once everything gets ironed out.

I'm not switching mobile platforms because of a failure of an auto maker to implement something.
Yep, none of us should have to switch platforms to get a reliable, easy-to-use car interface to our phones. Unfortunately that's been the state of the 20-22 OB since launch, and it goes way beyond just "half screen" vs "full screen".

· Registered
23 Ascent Premium & 20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,782 Posts
No not yet. I still have my old Pixel so I'll definitely give Coolwalk a look once everything gets ironed out.

Yep, none of us should have to switch platforms to get a reliable, easy-to-use car interface to our phones. Unfortunately that's been the state of the 20-22 OB since launch, and it goes way beyond just "half screen" vs "full screen".
The biggest hesitation we had going from our 19 to the 20 was the small CarPlay display in the original 20. Fortunately one of the first updates in spring 2020 brought full screen CarPlay (sorry AA), and each update since has made the system more stable.

I believe the 23 has full screen AA, and initial reports on the 23 say it is better regardless of the platform. If Subaru issues an update for the 20-22 that matches the 23, there will be a lot of happy people.

8721 - 8740 of 8801 Posts