Subaru Outback Forums banner

1121 - 1141 of 2582 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the dealership now; has been a couple hours but I’ve been told that the tech formatted the USB, got the software on to the USB, and installation was at 52% as of about 5 minutes ago. Having read the instructions myself, it seems like they’re doing everything right (though the fact they had to create a new Flash drive seems to indicate that this is the first time they’ve done the update, at least for a High/Nav model). Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞 also my new bike racks on the roof look sweet 😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, my Touring (non-XT, but with nav) has been at the dealer since Tuesday. I called late last week to schedule an appointment for Tuesday, and the scheduler said it shouldn't be a problem and they would definitely be able to handle it. I called on Monday and spoke to a service advisor, he spoke with the foreman and confirmed they could do 504 and that it would be easy-peazy lemon-squeezy (not his words). Brought it in Tuesday morning, thinking I could get a shuttle over to work and pick it up around the lunch hour, and the Service Advisor told me then and there that it would be Thursday or Friday (the 3rd, really? right as the holiday weekend is starting?) before the techs would even be able to start working on it. They had already planned on giving me a loaner and said their scheduling was all screwed up, thanks to Covid-19. I would already handed over the keys and everything, and I didn't know about the download that chvvkumar had provided yet or I would have just cancelled. The guy grilled me about the problems I was having, seemed like they weren't really interested in doing the update without a good reason. I mentioned some facial recognition slowness, the occasional lockup, slowness with the system, etc., and specifically requested the 504 update. The guy took the notes and sent me out with a 2020 Ascent as a loaner (OMG, that car is humongous compared to my little Outback).

I just texted them back this morning and they're finally getting to my car today. I hope I have it back before the 4th (not that we're going anywhere, but still). I simply can't imagine they're not going to brick it now, thanks to everyone else's horror stories.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,043 Posts
At the dealership now; has been a couple hours but I’ve been told that the tech formatted the USB, got the software on to the USB, and installation was at 52% as of about 5 minutes ago. Having read the instructions myself, it seems like they’re doing everything right (though the fact they had to create a new Flash drive seems to indicate that this is the first time they’ve done the update, at least for a High/Nav model). Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞 also my new bike racks on the roof look sweet 😁
Wondering how they came up with 52%. Did they use a ruler? :p
During my update, there was only a progress bar, no percentage displayed.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
13 Posts
Which page are the files & documents at? That is what should be stickied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just completed the update myself, no problems at all. I poked around the menus for about 30 minutes, seems to be quite a few changes. The improvement in the sound system quality is frankly shocking. I noticed you can also disable the chime from eyesight when it picks up or drops the lead car; i don't recall being able to do that previously but a very welcome change.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnettie Grey Metallic
278 Posts
I thought I would try to download software again after dealer update failure to see what happens,when I attempted this it does not show current versions when to try to download unlike what I see from people who have been successful in performing this update, then it completes and gives the error messages.
I wish I would have done this myself it is such an easy update.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,160 Posts
Just completed the update myself, no problems at all. I poked around the menus for about 30 minutes, seems to be quite a few changes. The improvement in the sound system quality is frankly shocking. I noticed you can also disable the chime from eyesight when it picks up or drops the lead car; i don't recall being able to do that previously but a very welcome change.
This (the chime disable you mention) would indeed be a welcome change, as would any audio improvements.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
521 Posts
This (the chime disable you mention) would indeed be a welcome change, as would any audio improvements.
You can disable the lead acquisition chime in the old firmware.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I thought I would try to download software again after dealer update failure to see what happens,when I attempted this it does not show current versions when to try to download unlike what I see from people who have been successful in performing this update, then it completes and gives the error messages.
I wish I would have done this myself it is such an easy update.

View attachment 487440 View attachment 487441
Mine showed the same error message at the end, but update 504 was applied.
Seems to work just fine.
Did you complete the update after the error with opening and closing the driver side door, etc? Did you check the version after that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All -- First time post from a long time lurker.

I'm having difficulties with the car recognizing the USB stick when it is inserted in dealer mode. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem as well, but the USB I'm using is the Kingston DataTraveler G3 series flashdrive (top on the list of approved drives) and to the best of my knowledge completed the unzipping process correctly on my PC from the sharepoint file.

Anyone else have any issues with the USB being recognized? Figured I'd test my luck before buying another flashdrive or worse.. taking the car into the dealership. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
... The improvement in the sound system quality is frankly shocking. ....
Yeah, no kidding. When chvvkumar had first posted that, I was skeptical and thought that this could be perceived.
But as soon as I drove off the dealer lot yesterday I noticed it myself, without even thinking about it or focusing on the sound. Sounds very different, much better. Very surprising.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,593 Posts
Hi All -- First time post from a long time lurker.

I'm having difficulties with the car recognizing the USB stick when it is inserted in dealer mode. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem as well, but the USB I'm using is the Kingston DataTraveler G3 series flashdrive (top on the list of approved drives) and to the best of my knowledge completed the unzipping process correctly on my PC from the sharepoint file.

Anyone else have any issues with the USB being recognized? Figured I'd test my luck before buying another flashdrive or worse.. taking the car into the dealership. Thanks!
Three things,
1. is the drive formatted to NTFS?
2. Is the drive all the way in into the slot?
3. Try inserting the drive first and then go into dealer mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three things,
1. is the drive formatted to NTFS?
2. Is the drive all the way in into the slot?
3. Try inserting the drive first and then go into dealer mode.
Here's what I've done so far.. Appreciate the ideas

1. Yes - double checked this one
2. Yes - tried both slots with no success, these slots do work as I use carplay frequently
3. I can try again, fairly positive I tried this before as well

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,593 Posts
Here's what I've done so far.. Appreciate the ideas

1. Yes - double checked this one
2. Yes - tried both slots with no success, these slots do work as I use carplay frequently
3. I can try again, fairly positive I tried this before as well
Probably worth trying a different USB stick as well. While the doc says supported USB drives, as long as the drives are not partitioned, any USB stick should work.

1121 - 1141 of 2582 Posts