Subaru Outback Forums banner
1,481 - 1,500 of 11,071 Posts
I was able to update my uncle's Outback to 504 and it went smoothly. Used a Samsung USB 3.1 stick formatted to NTFS. I made sure to take a picture of the software versions before doing the update to compare afterwards due to people seeing **** for RAD and Deck. As a precaution I removed the bluetooth profiles stored on the car so no phones accidentally connect to the car during the install and turned off the radio. Got into dealership mode on my first try while on the main dashboard.

Before
View attachment 487660

After
View attachment 487661

Deck was **** before and after(no built-in CD).

Install took 35-40 minutes and completed successfully with no errors.
View attachment 487662

While waiting for update to install I noticed the Outback has NFC(N logo above volume knob) hardware. It works to pair the bluetooth on Android devices. I was able to pair my uncle's Pixel 3a XL by tapping his phone on the logo while in the manage devices screen on the Outback. 😮 Didn't work with my iPhone...
View attachment 487663

I also tested Carbridge on iOS 12 with a jailbroken iPhone 5.
View attachment 487664
View attachment 487665
View attachment 487666

...and carbridge's portal app(carbridge itself is being rebuilt so it doesn't work on iOS 13+) on iOS 13 with a jailbroken iPhone 7.

View attachment 487667
View attachment 487668

My uncle was jealous about the full screen CarPlay but was happy to hear the improved sound system + bug fixes. Thanks @DanielAcosta and @chvvkumar again for making this update available for everyone. Happy July 4th! 🥳
Ha! That's similar to Tesla's browser on the car!

According to this, you should be able to pair an iPhone with the car using NFC. Not sure if it's iOS version dependent:

Tell me more. Are you able to dial a phone number, all 7 digits, using the 11" Subaru touchscreen while you are driving? Assuming the CarBridge tweak is not available without being jailbroken?
Yeah, you need to be jailbroken to install Carbridge($5). CarBridge - Open any app in CarPlay
It doesn't work with iOS 13+ right now but the dev is working a new version. He's offering the portal app which allows you to mirror your phone. Like you can pull up youtube on your phone and it will mirror it on the car's infotainment screen.

I didn't try dialing a phone number but if you enable the phone app for carbridge on iOS 12 it will use the phone app native to your phone instead of the carplay version which shouldn't have any restrictions. iOS 12's carbridge wasn't design for portrait screens so you would probably have a hard time pecking at the dialer. It might be different with the new carbridge design for iOS 13+.

No on both. No extra fobs, and I checked the doors.
Interesting. Mine hasn't changed at all. Tapping those lines locks the doors every time since I use that exclusively and don't touch my key fob at all.

Interesting. Mine hasn't changed at all. Tapping those lines locks the doors every time since I use that exclusively and don't touch my key fob at all.
I used to do that also
I just checked, and before I leave the car the instrument panel says "remove key". But there is no jey except the one in my pants pocket.

The only dubious thing I noticed yesterday was upon starting the vehicle after sitting for three hours, it came up "Telematics service in progress." Thankfully someone on this forum lead me to the blue "i" button to interrupt the cycle because it was stuck like that at the start of an hour long drive and I really needed Google Maps. However, it does make me wonder if SoA is checking / sampling the percentage of 504 in the wild. I was also wondering if it came up because of a pending vehicle appointment / turn-in.

The opening of the doors and rear hatch have worked the same before and after 504. I have shared previously that the doors and hatch open even with nitrile and vinyl gloves on which is a plus in these COVID times. For those that are interested, my passenger side is "dirty" and the driver side is "clean." What i mean by that is if i have to open the vehicle gloved, i will use the passenger front handle or tap to the right of the Subaru badge on the trunk lid to open things.

The only dubious thing I noticed yesterday was upon starting the vehicle after sitting for three hours, it came up "Telematics service in progress." Thankfully someone on this forum lead me to the blue "i" button to interrupt the cycle because it was stuck like that at the start of an hour long drive and I really needed Google Maps. However, it does make me wonder if SoA is checking / sampling the percentage of 504 in the wild. I was also wondering if it came up because of a pending vehicle appointment / turn-in.

The opening of the doors and rear hatch have worked the same before and after 504. I have shared previously that the doors and hatch open even with nitrile and vinyl gloves on which is a plus in these COVID times. For those that are interested, my right / passenger side is "dirty" and the left / driver side is "clean." What i mean by that is if i have to open the vehicle gloved, i will use the passenger front handle or tap to the right of the Subaru badge on the trunk lid to open things.
Pretty sure they get that information from the vehicle frequently (or at least when they pull vehicle health report for mysubaru.com).

Ha! That's similar to Tesla's browser on the car!

According to this, you should be able to pair an iPhone with the car using NFC. Not sure if it's iOS version dependent:

I did some googling and Apple only allows iPhone to NFC bluetooth pair with some Apple devices unlike Android. I got excited seeing the NFC logo thinking Subaru might do some sort of digital key using a smartphone down the road. I didn't see another NFC logo on the driver's door handle or B pillar though.

The browser worked okay but I discovered no multi-touch support on the display made it difficult. The text size was really small so I would touch the wrong link while navigating and I couldn't zoom in by pinching. I forgot how to change text size in safari on iOS 12 but that would probably solve this problem.

Reactions: SilverOnyx
I used to do that also
I just checked, and before I leave the car the instrument panel says "remove key". But there is no jey except the one in my pants pocket.
Nevermind. Wife dropped her keys. Was under the passenger seat. 🤦🏻‍♂️😳

Nevermind. Wife dropped her keys. Was under the passenger seat. 🤦🏻‍♂️😳
Ha ha that's funny. Car never lies (except the times it does).

The album art is actually blurred in the background on the “now playing” screen. I think this was also true of the previous firmware, but since the display was smaller and landscape it was more obvious visually. Try it with album art that has more contrast And you will see what I mean.
Nope, that's not what I'm talking about. Yes, the blurred album art in the background is there, but there's also supposed to be a square with a non-blurred, fully visible album image there as well. That image is not there.

See also my other image where I show the smaller image in the 3-screen version, where it shows the fully visible album art.

Nope, that's not what I'm talking about. Yes, the blurred album art in the background is there, but there's also supposed to be a square with a non-blurred, fully visible album image there as well. That image is not there.

See also my other image where I show the smaller image in the 3-screen version, where it shows the fully visible album art.
You are confused. It never had the artwork on the screen you are talking about. Do a google image search and you’ll see.

I installed the software yesterday and restarted the vehicle. But I did not play with the music etc. Just verified the new Auto S/S menu and then turned off the car.
After reading about this RAD_SW, I went this morning to check it out. This was what it showed:

I then pressed source until my Sirius XM radio was selected and it worked fine. Checked the software one minute later:

So maybe the radio needs to be used a bit before everything settles out. I also do not have a CD player. Just the HK unit with Nav.

Thanks to those who made the 504 update files available. Process was very easy and completed in 15-20 mins. Only question I have is that when a song is playing from my iphone library, it does not directly show the album art; rather you can see it hidden in the background behind the song info. Is this normal? Thanks in advance...

Did you do anything different the second time? Did you get the Software Initialing issue the first time? I have the **** and trying to decide if I should reinstall. I did get the software initializing issue before. Just wondering why second install would fix this.
No just went through the install procedure,seems that this RAD_SW **** is prevalent for those who received errors while updating? Not sure why it would fix it.

the only thing different is the file sizes are different on the mac, but the same sizes as someone else posted earlier who also used a mac. not sure if there is a way to verify that on a mac. i have no access to a pc.

View attachment 487647
The folder view shows size taken up on the disk. If you "Get Info" on the file in the Finder, you will get a byte count as well, and can match that up to the Windows file size.

1,481 - 1,500 of 11,071 Posts