Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (5 weeks old) 2020 Outback radio the sound just stopped. Mute is not on. Everything else works fine. Screen everything. What could it be? I stopped and started the car a few times and that did not fix. same for FM/AM and XM stations. I tried again about 45 min later and the radio worked fine. Sound came back on. Is there something wrong with the radio? Should I take into dealership?

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
693 Posts
My new (5 weeks old) 2020 Outback radio the sound just stopped. Mute is not on. Everything else works fine. Screen everything. What could it be? I stopped and started the car a few times and that did not fix. same for FM/AM and XM stations. I tried again about 45 min later and the radio worked fine. Sound came back on. Is there something wrong with the radio? Should I take into dealership?
Pull the fuse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback
413 Posts
I would take it in, if for no other reason than to make them aware of the issue, even though it’s now working. You’re not the only one here who has had one issue or another with the infotainment head unit. It’s seemingly widespread and hopefully there will be a software update coming soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have no idea what it could be but this happened to me on Monday. 2020 Outback; after leaving a gas station, suddenly no sound from the radio or even CarPlay, no response from voice assistance, and could not make any calls (except directly on the phone which we are not supposed to do by law). Like you I stopped and restarted but the sound did not turn on. A few hours later on a break at work, I checked on it and the sound came back on. Subaru’s new infotainment system is very buggy and unpredictable, that’s all I can say.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
691 Posts
Subaru has a bad track record on head units. My 2019 was replaced a few weeks in and that was widespread along that generation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the feedback and comments. I have an appointment next week to register the issue. Will look into the extended warranty again but that is expensive too. Bugs should be covered no matter what or how long. Very happy with the car so far otherwise.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
413 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Similar things happened to me yesterday. I was playing music using blue tooth. And suddenly the music stopped. Disabled blue tooth from my phone and re-connected, and the the music was back. Not sure what happened. But it certainly seems to be a problem. Is there a website where we can submit the issue?

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
36 Posts
I've had something sort of similar that has been happening regularly. If I have my Android phone plugged in to the USB using Android Auto, and I'm listening to, say, XM, occasionally the sound will go away almost completely. I can still hear a tiny bit of audio coming from the rear speakers. As soon as I unplug the USB cable, the sound restores, and I can plug my phone back in. I've had it happen 4 or 5 times. Would totally take it to the dealer, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to replicate while I was there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does the same thing. If you leave the car completely turned off for 5+ minutes, the sound will be back. You can't just do quick stop and restart, like when stopped at a red light.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This has happened to me once. No sound from either the radio or media. Several restarts did not resolve it, but the car being off for a while did.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
166 Posts
My 2018 has the same problem, sound mutes for awhile and a power off and restart usually clears it...I see the 2020 has problems also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Similar things happened to me yesterday. I was playing music using blue tooth. And suddenly the music stopped. Disabled blue tooth from my phone and re-connected, and the the music was back. Not sure what happened. But it certainly seems to be a problem. Is there a website where we can submit the issue?
Same thing happened again. Any idea what really caused the blue tooth issue? (iPhone showed connected, but no sound).

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had this same issue when we were on an out of town trip a couple of weeks ago, but it resolved on its own after the car was stopped and we came back to the car after having dinner at a restaurant.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
68 Posts
I had the same issue with my Touring model. Used the remote start and all audio from the head unit was gone. That even included the boop sounds when adjusting heated sets and things like that. Haven't restarted it since I got home, was going to let it sit for a bit.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback 2.5 Touring
5 Posts
My 2020 Touring is 3 months old and I am experiencing the same problem while listening to Sirius XM.
I have switched the source to FM, audio returns, switched back to Sirius and have audio again. This has worked most of the time.
A few times I have turned off the car for 5 to 10 minutes to correct the problem..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 147 Posts