Subaru Outback Forums banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,082 Posts
So version 500 is the standard for the 2021 model you think?
500 on the 21 is the same as 504 on the 20, but there are newer versions released a few weeks ago. 380 on the 20 is the same as 980 on the 21, your dealer will update for you. My 20 was good with 504, almost perfect with 380. Get 980 on your 21, hopefully yours will be good too.

BTW, I don’t think anyone understands why the 20 went 502/503/504/380 and the 21 went 500/980, but that’s what Subaru did. The 20’s started coming from the factory with 504 in June/July; the 21 just started shipping with 980 in November/December.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
The following link is to the post with the update information - you can either take it to the dealer and they can do it or you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
'21 Outback Limited Crimson Red Pearl
80 Posts
The following link is to the post with the update information - you can either take it to the dealer and they can do it or you can do it yourself.

Okay thanks. I think I'll leave it to the dealer to take care of. It's only a week in my hands and I don't feel ready to dig into it just yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Update: I signed up for the AT&T Car WiFi 30 day trial. I'm tempted to run the Software update in the car using that WiFi signal. Anyone think that's a good or bad idea? I've read here that several people have done it successfully. What do you all think? LMK please. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
723 Posts
Update: I signed up for the AT&T Car WiFi 30 day trial. I'm tempted to run the Software update in the car using that WiFi signal. Anyone think that's a good or bad idea? I've read here that several people have done it successfully. What do you all think? LMK please. Thanks again!
I ran the update check about 10 days ago using my phone as a hotspot. It showed no update available. I don’t believe they have restarted OTA updates. But it won’t hurt for you to check. As far as anyone currently knows it’s usb only. Very quick process at the dealers from what others have posted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ran the update check about 10 days ago using my phone as a hotspot. It showed no update available. I don’t believe they have restarted OTA updates. But it won’t hurt for you to check. As far as anyone currently knows it’s usb only. Very quick process at the dealers from what others have posted.
Will do. Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,082 Posts
Yes, there were some who successfully did an OTA update to 704, but there were also a lot whose head units were bricked by incomplete 704 updates. With the latest 380/980 update, I am only aware of usb updates, nothing OTA.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
690 Posts
I need a little direction on this subject. 2020 Outback 10K miles and one year old lease. System sound shut down on a trip. After scrolling thru settings and doing resets nothing sound related worked. Then when gassing up and shutting car down for 10 mins it suddenly all started working. Looks like I have the 502 software. Should I just leave it all alone? I don t care about any updates that I ve read about. It s a lease so in 2 years it s not even mine. Do I try to download a program, waste my time at dealer, or leave it be? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,082 Posts
You can
I need a little direction on this subject. 2020 Outback 10K miles and one year old lease. System sound shut down on a trip. After scrolling thru settings and doing resets nothing sound related worked. Then when gassing up and shutting car down for 10 mins it suddenly all started working. Looks like I have the 502 software. Should I just leave it all alone? I don t care about any updates that I ve read about. It s a lease so in 2 years it s not even mine. Do I try to download a program, waste my time at dealer, or leave it be? Thanks.
You can live with it as is, but it will be much better if you have the dealer do the 380 update at your convenience.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
690 Posts
You can

You can live with it as is, but it will be much better if you have the dealer do the 380 update at your convenience.
I just hate the dealers as I don t want them making things worse then changing parts while using my car as their learning curve. I am over 1 hour away from my dealer. How much different would the 308 even be? Without some meaning changes of function not sure what I d be gaining. This 502 has served well enough for a year....???? Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got a 2021 Outback Limited last weekend. Everything was fine for about a week, but last night the sound started cutting out intermittently. My phone was connected via Bluetooth and I was playing music through Starlink. Today it was doing the same thing, so I plugged in the USB to play music though the AndroidAuto app. The same thing started happening! The SiriusXM radio was working fine, so I assumed it was my phone causing problem, but then I found this forum.

I went to check the Software Version just now after reading about the 504 release being the latest version. Is it possible that my new 2021 Subaru has Software Version 500? Am I reading this correctly? WTF? Is this possible that it is that out of date?

View attachment 500015
On your phone's Bluetooth settings for the car, disable "media audio". That should fix the audio cutting out issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,922 Posts
I just hate the dealers as I don t want them making things worse then changing parts while using my car as their learning curve. I am over 1 hour away from my dealer. How much different would the 308 even be? Without some meaning changes of function not sure what I d be gaining. This 502 has served well enough for a year....???? Thanks for the suggestions.
502 wouldn't retain sound customization settings and that was a big annoyance for some of us but if that's not an issue for you then if it ain't broke don't fix it but if you continue to experience instability, 380 is supposed to be more stable. Only time will tell, but we do have isolated reports of post-380 glitches so for all we know another update might appear in 6 months.

Not worth a special trip to the dealer but if you're there for some other reason I would recommend you getting the update - there has been a lot of "learning curve" done over several update cycles I'm pretty sure the dealers are up to speed by now.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
723 Posts
In my opinion 502 is an abomination compared to 504. I haven’t yet had my Legacy updated to 380 but fully plan to. I got to experience all the bugs in 502 reported here in these threads on my wife’s Onyx which was purchased in December of last year. She has yet to get it updated but plans to do so in January when it will also be due for its next service. My Legacy was acquired at the end of July and came with 504. I don’t believe I’ve experienced any of the same issues my wife has on a regular basis. The one persistent issue I’ve had is with the Driver Monitoring System which the Onyx does not have. It fails and disables itself whenever I wear sunglasses. That may be more to an inadequate system rather than a software issue, since it works flawlessly when I don’t wear sunglasses.

There is no way I could put up with the issues in 502 for more than a couple months. I won’t ever go to installing an update like this on my own unless Subaru recommended it. However at this point the dealers are well versed in these updates and it should be easy enough to arrange to have it done. For my vehicle on 504 I can wait a period of time to get in for 380 since I’m having no issues other than that DMS. For 502 my butt would have been at the dealer within a couple weeks if not sooner. My wife is far more patient than I am.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
690 Posts
so what s the big 502 complaint? I don t have DMS and the system only failed once in a year and then reset. I mostly don t care for the system as far as having heated seats on that screen and auto/stop start screens etc. It s not super fast but works OK . What am I missing if anything? Some of you guys have been thru all this and already know, LOL. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
723 Posts
Just browse the threads. But a quick list - Apple CarPlay fails, the head unit reboots spontaneously - several times a week according to my wife, the screen goes black, no audio whether on radio or Sirius. All require that the vehicle be restarted, usually after sitting for a period of time - except for the spontaneous rebooting, the vehicle doesn’t need to be restarted for it to reboot. Those are just the ones I’ve witnessed when I occasionally ride with my wife in her Onyx, she’s seen much more. If you browse the threads you’ll see a larger list. As I said my wife is far more patient than I am, I would only put up with that until the earliest appointment I could get or I would have gone the DIY route. In my Legacy with 504 I’ve seen none of that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On your phone's Bluetooth settings for the car, disable "media audio". That should fix the audio cutting out issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that suggestion. I just checked my phone and Audio is already turned off for the car's Bluetooth connection. Not sure if that's something I had done already, or if it was always that way, but the sound has been working properly for a week and a half now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2020 Touring Outback now won't let me change it off Sirius XM. I can scroll thru the Sirius channles I have saved on the steering column but not on the infotainment screen. Nothing I did allowed me to switch to my FM stations. And while backing out of the driveway, the volume wouldn't change. This is messed up.
Similar thing happened to me with the XM channels today. Couldn't change channels with the wheel buttons. Ended up turning off and on the stereo to fix it.

2021 OB Limited, built November 2020 with HK stereo and software version 980

·
Registered
80 Posts
Similar thing happened to me with the XM channels today. Couldn't change channels with the wheel buttons. Ended up turning off and on the stereo to fix it.

2021 OB Limited with HK stereo and software version 980
I'm still on version 500 which is what my car same with. Sad to here the same thing happens with version 980.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts