Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Almost since day one, I’ve been getting this weird howling/groaning noise coming from the rear of my 2020 Subaru outback touring XT with the turbo. I posted a new video on my YouTube channel and provided the link above so you can actually hear examples. I am trying to see if anyone else with the turbo model is experiencing this same weird sound.

Of course dealerships say they can’t find anything wrong and I’m thinking there’s no way that this is a normal sound and it is getting worse. I guess either my rear differential or transmission has to go before they’ll fix anything. Only time will tell.

I will point out, it drives fine. Does not seem to effect its performance.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
Is your mother in law hiding in the back? Other than that, if you take another identical car from the dealer on the same roads and conditions and the noise is the same, so be it, but if not then that's your proof something is wrong.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
I listened to your video and didn't really hear anything unusual. Ours is a non-turbo and the sounds it makes haven't changed in the first 14K miles. Yours sounds different from ours, which I would expect with a different engine and transmission. You have to be the best judge of what is normal for your car, so hopefully you'll get some resolution. I've burned myself before buying a car thinking a little issue could be fixed later, so now I am very thorough on test drives to be sure everything about the car is something I can live with as is.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I listened to the video with a subwoofer hi-fi system. Are you sure you're not just hearing the exhaust from the rear of the car? My Outback XT's exhaust is surprisingly loud.

To be brutally honest your rant videos aren't very helpful. You're venting frustration and concerns without taking the time to verify what's happening. Suppose 1 month down the road the Subaru techs discover that a plug that's supposed to seal a hole in the chassis was not installed properly. That would be helpful. A rant without information is just a rant and it's not entertaining or interesting or informative. Given the motivation to make videos, one can come up with all sorts of things to speculate and rant about.

Also if you're interested in investigating this better maybe you could have recorded audio from the hatch or back seat instead of from the front seat, if it's sound coming from the back.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Here I'm going to go on a rant:

On your video you call it a "Growning" sound. There's no such thing. Maybe it's "Groaning". Learn to spell.

In your post, you keep repeating yourself.

Almost since day one, I’ve been getting this weird Howling noise coming from the rear of my 2020 Subaru outback touring XT with the turbo. I posted a new video on my YouTube channel and provided the link above so you can actually hear examples.

I posted a new video on my YouTube channel and provided the link above so you can actually hear examples.

Of course dealerships say they can’t find anything wrong and I’m thinking there’s no way that this is a normal sound and it is getting worse and worse. I guess either my rear differential or transmission Hass to go before they’ll fix anything.

of course dealerships say they can’t find anything wrong and I’m thinking there’s no way that this is a normal sound and it is getting worse and worse. I guess either my rear differential or transmission Hass to go before they’ll fix anything.
Please proof-read your posts. Given your poor attention to detail and quality it makes me question the quality of your videos or your thought process in dealing with complex issues. If you intend to grow a quality channel you need to look at the quality of your work instead of spamming our forum with low-effort clickbait.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
86 Posts
My turbo has an intermittent groaning sound like that. I was able to trace it to the driver seat vented fan. It only happens when it's at the highest setting and only happens a few times a week. I cycle it on/off and the whining goes away. I will have the dealer fix it when I bring it in for its first oil change. Check you vented fan settings just to rule that out.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
86 Posts
It took me a while to track it down. I first thought it was the radio or outside influences. When the sound came up again, I shut off the radio and noticed the sound was still there but appeared to be coming from the rear passenger cabin. When I got to my destination I left the car running and got into the back. That's when I discovered the sound comes from the driver back rest. Halfway up. You can feel the vibration when you touch the seat back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I heard some CVT whine, but nothing else out of the ordinary.
Sadly my video is not coming off as well as I wanted it to. In real life it’s very obvious and out of the ordinary and everyone that gets in the car with me agrees, except anyone that works for Subaru. Sadly the sound is very hard to record. I guess I’ll be waiting until something completely breaks and then I can post that as it sits in the shop getting repaired.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My turbo has an intermittent groaning sound like that. I was able to trace it to the driver seat vented fan. It only happens when it's at the highest setting and only happens a few times a week. I cycle it on/off and the whining goes away. I will have the dealer fix it when I bring it in for its first oil change. Check you vented fan settings just to rule that out.
My sound only happens under hard acceleration pretty much off the line. In other words when I floor the gas pedal I’ll get that howling sound for about two seconds and then it goes away after that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here I'm going to go on a rant:

On your video you call it a "Growning" sound. There's no such thing. Maybe it's "Groaning". Learn to spell.

In your post, you keep repeating yourself.

Please proof-read your posts. Given your poor attention to detail and quality it makes me question the quality of your videos or your thought process in dealing with complex issues. If you intend to grow a quality channel you need to look at the quality of your work instead of spamming our forum with low-effort clickbait.
There is a nicer way to correct my spelling. Being rude is not going to help anyone. Thank you for the information though I will edit all my posts just for you. Glad to hear college paid off!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not running the seat vents. Also, HVAC is off in my examples. This is happening during hard acceleration. In other words, flooring the gas! Other people that get in the car also hear it. We are all stumped. Until such a time that is mechanically breaks down or does not perform correctly, I will have to just live with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If what I heard is what you are talking about, it's cvt whine. Mine does it too. Many cvt's are much worse than our ob's!
Interesting. So the sound I hear is right in the beginning and goes away after a few seconds. Are we talking about the same thing? I flash text (top right) on the video when it's happening to help with a visual cue. Or at least I thought it might help. lol

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
921 Posts
Yes, i listened through my phone, but on my stereo. I heard a very normal "whine" on hard acceleration.

I can't say whether its the same thing you are talking about or not. Maybe whatever it is isn't being captured well. But the "situation" the sound comes from fits a very normal cvt whine. It's when you are putting the most torque on the cvt. Basically, flooring it from a low speed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, i listened through my phone, but on my stereo. I heard a very normal "whine" on hard acceleration.

I can't say whether its the same thing you are talking about or not. Maybe whatever it is isn't being captured well. But the "situation" the sound comes from fits a very normal cvt whine. It's when you are putting the most torque on the cvt. Basically, flooring it from a low speed.
Thanks for your response @[B]pcray1231[/B]. Though it sounds weird and obviously bothers the heck out of me; it's nice to know that this could be normal operation. This is my first CVT and I've got a lot to learn about them. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
There is a nicer way to correct my spelling. Being rude is not going to help anyone. Thank you for the information though I will edit all my posts just for you. Glad to hear college paid off!
My point is that Rants aren't helpful. I don't care about your spelling or poor editing. One can easily get caught up in criticizing something as if it's "helpful" when it's not helpful at all.

If you're actually interested in assistance solving your problem you can make a recording from the rear of the car. Putting effort into solving problems instead of making "rants" would be more productive and helpful.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Ice Silver and 2020 Outback Limited XT Cinnamon Brown
111 Posts
Find a priest that does exorcisms. It's obvious that your car has been possessed.

Almost since day one, I’ve been getting this weird howling/groaning noise coming from the rear of my 2020 Subaru outback touring XT with the turbo. I posted a new video on my YouTube channel and provided the link above so you can actually hear examples. I am trying to see if anyone else with the turbo model is experiencing this same weird sound.

Of course dealerships say they can’t find anything wrong and I’m thinking there’s no way that this is a normal sound and it is getting worse. I guess either my rear differential or transmission has to go before they’ll fix anything. Only time will tell.

I will point out, it drives fine. Does not seem to effect its performance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Find a priest that does exorcisms. It's obvious that your car has been possessed.
This has been the best response yet! I will check with my local Catholic church! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts